Features removed from 3.1.4

Dreamlander

Well, this topic has convinced me that I might want to stick with 3.1.4 for now.

If you guys had a chance to do it again, would you upgrade or stick with 3.1.x?

I'm happy with 3.2. Most of what was removed is available as a hook in the marketplace.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and people are tired of re-spending money on the same items because of updates.

Seems this is a big problem and IPS must find a solution not needing to update in future versions hooks, mods and skins.
First time when I purchased the IPS products, I said to myself is not a big deal the price, but when I installed other paid mods, hooks, skins and needing to update everytime when they were not compatibile then I realised that this is a pain and is making a hole in my buget;
And what about the other items that are not updating anymore because the author closed their projects?
For example: I have a database of links gathered for a period a some years and now my project is usesless because the author closed Directory Links ,and now there are rumors that will be opened only like a paid application.Is not fair, I'm not producing money with my site, to recover a part of my budget spent with all this updates.
Please, don't remove any other features in the new versions of ipb, because will be force to use hooks, mods etc to recover them, and this if we are lucky if someone makes them.

Well, this topic has convinced me that I might want to stick with 3.1.4 for now.

I'm slowly coming round to 3.2 as being ok, but if I was able to say rewind time I would have stayed with 3.1.4.

I first bought into invision with 3.1.4 and I had no complaints. Everything was great. Only reason I really upgraded to 3.2 was because of the notification in the acp telling me it was out and I figured I might out as well do it for the 'latest and greatest'.

Looking over it all... I'm finding myself missing things from 3.1.4 ( though have been trying to persuade myself I didn't need them) and the issues with all sorts of bugs and so on still in it and going to have to upgrade again soon when 3.2.3 comes out. So even if 3.2 was the same features as 3.1.4 plus more I probably would have waited had I known there were bugs, etc.

I ended up just taking the plunge and upgrading. I have an NFL message board and wanted to get it going so everyone has a week to get used to the new board.

First impressions: I like it. I think it would have been the perfect step forward if not for the loss of topic descriptions and some other features. I completely get why this thread exists.

It seems like before we were driving a two year old sports car with all the bells and whistles and now we "upgraded" to the brand new model and, while the engine is much more powerful, you had to get the stripped down model. The locks aren't power and you have to crank the windows.

There has been a lot of feedback about this and it is warranted. I'm hoping IPS comes to their senses and gives back some of the features that their customers want/had/paid for.

I also am not a fan of the current ACP Live Search but I suppose that is just an adjustment and I'll be ok with it eventually. The Visual Skin Editor is nice and well done.

Overall, nice work....could have been a home run.

If they don't know what a cookie is, they probably shouldn't be clicking the button.

It was usually under instruction from me - or I used to have a link on my sign in box, which basically said that if they were having issues signing in and their details were correct to try clearing the cookies for the site. Now either I have to maintain a page with directions or suggest they use their favourite search engine to get assistance from elsewhere as to how to remove cookies for just our site in their browser.

But such is life :)

It was usually under instruction from me - or I used to have a link on my sign in box, which basically said that if they were having issues signing in and their details were correct to try clearing the cookies for the site. Now either I have to maintain a page with directions or suggest they use their favourite search engine to get assistance from elsewhere as to how to remove cookies for just our site in their browser.

But such is life :smile:

If you know how to generate a key, you can probably put the link back in.

http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=core&module=global&section=login&do=deleteCookies

As you can see, it doesn't look like the feature was completely removed.

I would still upgrade.

Because my site is new.

My older site will stay 3.1.x forever probably.

Is there anyone here willing to share how to add a remove cookies link to our sites. I keep clicking on the links in this thread to see if I can learn, but they must be uber secret dev stuff because I just get the error page [#10340] You do not have permission to view this topic.

I don't think I can afford $10 for a hook. Pleeease?

Is there anyone here willing to share how to add a remove cookies link to our sites. I keep clicking on the links in this thread to see if I can learn, but they must be uber secret dev stuff because I just get the error page [#10340] You do not have permission to view this topic.

I don't think I can afford $10 for a hook. Pleeease?

would something like this work? I don't know but had seen this.

I did not realize how many things IPS removed and upgraded one on my biggest boards with millions of records. The avatar problem was small but i did not like that you forced me to choose during the install if i wanted to remove them or leave them.. and other then that... the topic descriptions was so useful that i cannot believe you guys removed it without offering the option.. and now someone made a hook for 15 bucks to enable it back... Thats so not cool.

If any of you still want to know how to put the delete cookies link back in, open globalTemplate and paste this above "<if test="skinchanger:|:count($footer_items['skin_chooser']) > 1">":

<li>

<a href='{parse url="app=core&amp;module=global&amp;section=login&amp;do=deleteCookies&amp;k={$this->member->form_hash}" base="public"}'>Delete Community Cookies</a>

</li>

I did not realize how many things IPS removed and upgraded one on my biggest boards with millions of records. The avatar problem was small but i did not like that you forced me to choose during the install if i wanted to remove them or leave them.. and other then that... the topic descriptions was so useful that i cannot believe you guys removed it without offering the option.. and now someone made a hook for 15 bucks to enable it back... Thats so not cool.

I have to agree with this. The common consensus seems to be if something was removed that you want, get a modification to get it back. That isn't the point. I don't want to spend hours upon hours redoing my site whenever I do an upgrade. I did that with the early versions of vBulletin and it got old in a hurry.

Removing features that are redundant is a good thing. Arbitrarily removing features that many of us use is not a good thing. It's extremely unlikely I will upgrade to 3.2. And if further releases continue down this avenue, I'll be forced yet again to explore my options for a different software solution for my site.

I don't know what the decision process was for 3.2, but from a customer standpoint, it wasn't much of a process if we, the customers, weren't asked about what we use and what we don't use.

Well they used database examples to see how often notes was used. And maybe descriptions, I forget. But you can't just go taking out things you think not many use because the majority aren't the only ones who deserve to have features they want. If a feature is already there, leave it there. Because it evrry well could be that one single feature is why someone chose IPS and if it's taken out they're totally screwed.

I'm really tired of all the broken things, or course I can fix them if I have $5 here and $15 there to replace something that was taken out. If not for the goodness of devs like Michael and a few others, this simple cookie thing would cost 5-10 bucks. Geesh.

It would almost look like the conspiracy remark made here or another thread tongue in cheek, might have validity. "Things were stripped so modders could make money off replacing them?" or something like that. Gone are the days of doing it for the community, enter the "Market" I had a bad feeling when I saw the title of that section.

So far I have spent more time chasing down and replacing or trying to learn how to fix them on my own, than I have enjoying the software.

I still have, pictures that break the layout (even though my settings are the same as they have always been) Photobucket slide shows that no longer work, we just figured out how to get mp4's from photobucket to play. Some people are still struggling with that one. But I have it working on mine and trying to share (for free) how it was done. I'm sure as soon as someone sees the "need" for a mod to fix it they will be so kind as to rush out a $5-$10 fix for everyone else. :)

My Facebook status connection stopped working, no one can figure out why. Disabled mods and 3rd party apps and it still fails to work unless you do it 2 or 3 times and then it works, posts your status to Facebook and kicks you to your profile page. Gonna be fun figuring that one out.

Upgrade? I think the term was used loosely. Sorry, I'm ranting again. I need to spend this time fixing up my once smoothly running forum for my members to enjoy. :frantics:

I'm really tired of all the broken things, or course I can fix them if I have $5 here and $15 there to replace something that was taken out. If not for the goodness of devs like Michael and a few others, this simple cookie thing would cost 5-10 bucks. Geesh.

It would almost look like the conspiracy remark made here or another thread tongue in cheek, might have validity. "Things were stripped so modders could make money off replacing them?" or something like that. Gone are the days of doing it for the community, enter the "Market" I had a bad feeling when I saw the title of that section.

So far I have spent more time chasing down and replacing or trying to learn how to fix them on my own, than I have enjoying the software.

I still have, pictures that break the layout (even though my settings are the same as they have always been) Photobucket slide shows that no longer work, we just figured out how to get mp4's from photobucket to play. Some people are still struggling with that one. But I have it working on mine and trying to share (for free) how it was done. I'm sure as soon as someone sees the "need" for a mod to fix it they will be so kind as to rush out a $5-$10 fix for everyone else. :smile:

My Facebook status connection stopped working, no one can figure out why. Disabled mods and 3rd party apps and it still fails to work unless you do it 2 or 3 times and then it works, posts your status to Facebook and kicks you to your profile page. Gonna be fun figuring that one out.

Upgrade? I think the term was used loosely. Sorry, I'm ranting again. I need to spend this time fixing up my once smoothly running forum for my members to enjoy. :frantics:

LIKE 1000 TIMES

• 4 weeks later...

If any of you still want to know how to put the delete cookies link back in, open globalTemplate and paste this above "<if test="skinchanger:|:count($footer_items['skin_chooser']) > 1">":

<li>

<a href='{parse url="app=core&amp;module=global&amp;section=login&amp;do=deleteCookies&amp;k={$this->member->form_hash}" base="public"}'>Delete Community Cookies</a>

</li>

you deserve all the best!

Archived