Features removed from 3.1.4

Dreamlander

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are about 10 million pages on the internet describing how to delete your browser cookies for every browser out there.

Seriously - some features I can understand people questioning being removed (whether I agree or not), but I can't understand the argument "we need a link to let you delete cookies". Your browser handles this for you just fine.

There are about 10 million pages on the internet describing how to delete your browser cookies for every browser out there.

Seriously - some features I can understand people questioning being removed (whether I agree or not), but I can't understand the argument "we need a link to let you delete cookies". Your browser handles this for you just fine.

So? Why should users be told to go "Google it", when there was a nice tool available that they could use that did it for them.

You're thinking like the old System Administrator who wants to keep the magic in the box. Make it easy for the users, not more difficult.

Who cares? So now you're saying ipb should copy vb in everything? Others don't have many other features in ipb, so i guess they should all be taken out. :tongue:

I have not seen a single word saying "IPB should copy VB" in the quote you quoted. He just mention that those software don't have such links, and its completely okay.

• Management

Reset login key disappeared.

IPB is less secure.

:sad:

IPB is definitely not less secure. The 'reset' feature was removed from the session handler but you can still reset it when you change a user's password from the Admin CP. The continual resetting in sessions generated a lot of hassle in tracking and maintaing sessions.
There really isn't much value in resetting it either now we use http only cookies which means the session key cannot be revealed by XSS.

IPB is definitely not less secure. The 'reset' feature was removed from the session handler but you can still reset it when you change a user's password from the Admin CP. The continual resetting in sessions generated a lot of hassle in tracking and maintaing sessions.

There really isn't much value in resetting it either now we use http only cookies which means the session key cannot be revealed by XSS.

OK but I think it's not logical, when I logged in PC A and PC B, and when I logged out from PC B I am still logged in PC A.

It's the same when I have two doors to my house but I lock only one when I am going away,

I drifted in here some time back during the Beta? I thought maybe the reports of missing things and changes were exaggerated, or that IPB would listen. Obviously this is not the case. I think what has happened, and I mean no disrespect for all the hard work that Matt, Charles and all the developers put into this product, is that they have gone to the "This is the way I want it to look and work" and not how it has worked so well for so long.

I could almost compare this latest upgrade to XP and Vista, XP had been honed till it worked really well, Sure it still had faults, but it worked pretty smooth for what it was. In a fear that people would get bored with it, they introduced Vista, which as we all know was sort of a joke (still is).

3.1.x was going fine, tons of mods if you wanted them, skins had settled in. Then someone got bored with the look and decided we needed a whole new look, and less things for us to use or "clutter" as they say. Here we are at 3.2 and recently before I could catch my breath from the upgrade 3.2.2?

Improvements?

• Most of my mods no longer work,
  • Not one of our old skins that I had purchased work, unless I'd like to pay to have them fixed (upgraded is the politically correct term)
  • I am missing things that now need hooks and mods to restore that members liked.
  • I no longer have control of half the things I used to be able to adjust.
  • Upgrade can be a nightmare. Never was in the 2.1.x - 3.0.x range before we "improved" everything.
  • I now have to use MY space on my server to host Avatars/Pics whatever you want to call it. Apparently someone thinks we all have lots of money, or use free hosts. I use a budget VPS I can't afford to store no more than I absolutely need to.
  • The editor is a nightmare to simple forum folk that were used to the old one. I field more requests about how to enter a simple link like they used to.
  • Photobucket Videos are difficult but workable, slideshows are a joke.
  • Popups when you hover over something (profiles) drive most members nuts.

On a side note which I am pleased to see, is my load times went from 10-14 secs, to 4-5 secs with 3.2 and that is with all the mods I could replace and or fix still loaded. Must be a fluke of some type. Or my connection liking the new things, because regular site tests on the net always showed 4-5 sec load time. I have a small forum 248 members and 106,000+ posts not like some of the big ones out there. Max load at one time is only 8-12 members.

3.2 does not like my VPS installation like all the 3.1.x versions did. For some reason I have to manually work with permissions and rename files to get banners to work. No one knows why.

As I posted somewhere else on the support forum regarding a mod that has lost support from the dev. People are getting tired of change, I don't know who you talk to for the input, but it can't be the average Joe out here with fun colorful forums that have to fork out money each time someone decides "We need a new look".

3.2? Yes, it looks neater, might be a tad faster (or slower depending on who you talk to), but on the average it is lacking the old fun atmosphere that it had, mod longevity and support, and people are tired of re-spending money on the same items because of updates. I nearly didn't reup my server hosting for another year after running a forum for 5 years and weathering the upgrades. I am trying to hang in here but it is getting tough.

If your target is commercial, where the vanilla base forum is all they want, then you might have enough customer base to support it and can move on and forget about us guys that do it for a hobby.

As I have said before;

Attention IPB: We love ya, but not everyone likes plain vanilla forums. Mods and skins are a must to some, stop breaking them just to improve the vanilla (base) package. We went from no upgrades years ago, to so many that we just simply can't keep up anymore. Security updates are one thing, constant tweaks and cosmetic tweaks that break skins and mods are not fun. I'm sure it is very frustrating for the developers also and they will one day get tired of trying to "keep up" with the updates, even if they are getting paid to.

Don't shoot the Messenger...

Quite frankly, I think a lot of the issues with this update stem from the numbering system. Let's face it, this is a new version of the software, not just an update to 3.x. I know maybe technically this is still a branch of the 3.x series, but for all intents and purposes for the laypeople out here, a new version number would have communicated better the scope of the changes. New feature set, new skin, etc. It just isn't going to be an easy transition for a lot of folks and there is a difference in a lot of peoples minds between an update and an upgrade to a new version. This isn't going to be simple for those of us with second party features. The mindset we need to have is to prepare for a fairly major upgrade. It is a fresh take on the product. It mostly hits the mark and will be worthwhile in the end. But prepare for a more or less complete overhaul as opposed to a few code updates. I am waiting on a few things before upgrading my 3.1.4 board. But I have started a new board with 3.2 and it is very nice. Different. But over-all a better user-experience for all. It won't take long after the hard work is done to settle back in and appreciate the shiny new version. A little kicking and screaming along the way isn't going to hurt anyone, of course. But waiting until all your pieces are in place before making the move will pay off in the end. There's no security reasons for upgrading, so take your time. Do it right. Adjust to the changes. I did and I'm pretty happy with it. ;)

I haven't read your entire post, but since it seems to primarily be issues with the 3.2 platform, I'll ask the question:

Why upgrade if you did not run a test version first and see what it could/could not do for you?

I ran several tests, waited a couple month's before upgrading. It's true no one twisted my arm to upgrade, but it is also true that because IPB has always been above the normal standard, I am trying to show product loyalty by following the upgrades. Would IPB prefer us to just go to another forum software provider? Or try to cope with these changes. Venting in these areas is one way of coping for some. It almost sounds like the attitude is I should have stayed with 3.1.4 or gone somewhere else.

BTW, I do like your mods. One replaced the missing Pic on the index page (Member Photo in Menubar) that we lost.

My apologies if I ruffled any feathers with my post.

As far as cookies? A simple link to help the less forum educated clear them for this the one forum, is much easier than trying to help them figure out how to clear cookies for different browsers. There are times when a cookie problem causes a headache and clearing it fixes the issue. Not often, but priceless when it does. Are we to turn our backs on the less adept than us and just cater to advanced users for members? Just a thought.

I had my long post and got it off my chest. Looking back on it I feel a tad silly, but it was on my mind, and probably many others of the minority. Thanks for the time.

Archived