Features removed from 3.1.4

Dreamlander

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure why people want the old fashion trash can while we have a better system for dealing with deleted contents?

with the old system, there was no straight forward method to restore deleted posts to their original topics unless you use the merge thingie which I've never mastered! Now you can do it with nothing more than a click of a mouse button.

For me I need to be able to search through deleted content to look at old posts when judging a member's warn history. That's all. If you add searching to the mod cp then the mod cp essentially becomes a trash can with the additional restoration option.

For me I need to be able to search through deleted content to look at old posts when judging a member's warn history. That's all. If you add searching to the mod cp then the mod cp essentially becomes a trash can with the additional restoration option.

Sounds reasonable, I agree with the suggestion. %7Boption%7D

Perhaps a hook can be made in the meantime?

I'm going to make a topic about this and another suggestion I have so it doesn't get lost in the vortex. %7Boption%7D

Edit: Suggestion added

Certainly it is easier to maintain bulk goods (bulk software in this case) for any dev, but IPS has to decide.

Forums and projects are not unique and have different demands. Now to break with old features in a dot-release instead of a complete rewrite was a bit disturbing.
There are many great new features and additions to IP.Board 3.2 but there are also many losses.

Currently IPB seems to go the way of a really big company I don't want to name which basically is telling their users what is good for them. This seems sad to me, but then again, I'm used to think and decide on my own.

%7Boption%7D

%7Boption%7D

Since we are on the topic of images, can anyone tell me if the settings still exist to restrict guests, etc... from viewing avatars/sigs/attachments?

Still there: ACP -> System Settings -> Members -> User Profiles. The option, that guests see avatars is always turned on. It would be better to decide. But at the least the right option is turned on always ;)

Is the best justification for hiding images in posts that "it allows people who are at work (and probably should be working...) to browse my forums without getting caught"? If so, that doesn't seem like a very good justification for a feature that otherwise has no use, and was originally intended to help reduce bandwidth when 56K modems were all the rage.

You are way out of place as a developer when you review the behavior of the members of your customers from a moral standpoint. Stop being so sassy!

You are way out of place as a developer when you review the behavior of the members of your customers from a moral standpoint. Stop being so sassy!

I'm not going to comment on the exchanges here, but if you feel somebody is being disrespectful, do you really think you're going to change their attitude by replying disrespectfully?

I take it the option has been removed to see who has given you negative and positive rep? I have the rep type set to positive and negative, but when I click on the rep number in the thread there is no longer a popup box with that information in.

EDIT: I just noticed it actually works on mine, but I can't see who has negative repped other members.... I used to be able to do it.

The functionality to view who gave rep is still available. If you're having trouble with the feature I'd recommend submitting a ticket.

A point that I don't think I've seen mentioned yet is that features = code. For every feature you have, for every ACP option there is, there's code behind it. That's code that has to be maintained. It has to be checked for conflicts when new features are added to make sure no bugs are introduced. It has to be tested. Eventually you reach the point where it's impossible to keep up with what code where does what and cruft just sits around your codebase bitrotting.

It's not possible to keep adding new features without eventually removing some old ones. That way lies madness.

I'm still testing and haven't upgraded yet, but I haven't found anything yet that's a showstopper for me.

This is *exactly* the problem, and has been brought up as a global catch-all reason already.

I'm not judging what anyone does. However, we still have to evaluate how useful a feature in our software truly is, and the reason given (that I referenced) does not seem strong enough to justify maintaining code that (as I mentioned) has limited other purposes these days.

I'm not going to pull apart posts, call people names or question what is said. Why? Because all it's doing is making everybody around here emotional!

What I will do is present my case for an option to disable avatars, signatures and images.

Is the best justification for hiding images in posts that "it allows people who are at work (and probably should be working...) to browse my forums without getting caught"? If so, that doesn't seem like a very good justification for a feature that otherwise has no use, and was originally intended to help reduce bandwidth when 56K modems were all the rage.

I browse my forums from work, both of which are based on IPB. I also browse several other forums, some of which are IPB and some of which are not. I am allowed to browse these forums, I work in an adult environment where I am trusted to balance my work with my downtime. The forums I browse are all gaming orientated. EVE Online, Battlefield, general FPS, a clan site, etc.

Now imagine the sorts of avatars, signatures and posts that may be present? This has all but locked me out of my forums from work because I cannot risk something even remotely obscene coming into view. I would get seriously reprimanded, if not dismissed.

The ability to disable images is absolutely crucial depending on the audience of the forums in question. It won't affect everybody for sure, but it does affect some very legitimately.

I agree that many of the features have been removed for security, to streamline the software, etc. I've no issues with that, but this isn't some pointless functionality that is easily resolved using the browser. For starters, I and many others who work for large corporations will not have the privileges to change our browser options.

I'm seriously disappointed this feature was removed. Now I dare only check threads in my admin/moderation area for keeping an eye on things, but I certainly cannot browse.

If there's one facility I would love to see reinstated, it's this.

I can't argue my case any further, nor will I try. I just really hope this is put back in 3.2.2.

Cheers

C

I'll echo the desire to have the ability to block signatures/avatars/images as a user preference. That's about the only change or removed feature that I have had a complaint I let wad worth bringing to the table. I am happy to tell my members to adapt with the others.

The functionality to view who gave rep is still available. If you're having trouble with the feature I'd recommend submitting a ticket.

Yes I noticed that I can see who has given me rep, however I can no longer view who has given other members negative or positive rep. I used to be able to do this, so has it changed, or is there something wrong with my board?

Yes I noticed that I can see who has given me rep, however I can no longer view who has given other members negative or positive rep. I used to be able to do this, so has it changed, or is there something wrong with my board?

This sounds related to a bug report that was submitted recently, but hasn't been investigated yet.

Cant post a url and name it like before...

You can write the name beforehand, highlight it and then press the "add link" button in the editor. However I do agree you should be able to do it in the pop up as well but I believe it's a limitation of the new editor and not IPB.

You can write the name beforehand, highlight it and then press the "add link" button in the editor. However I do agree you should be able to do it in the pop up as well but I believe it's a limitation of the new editor and not IPB.

It's more like moving forward than a limitation..

• 2 weeks later...

Am I crazy or did the sigs move in 3.2.2? I was thinking that it automatically put it at the bottom so if you had a lot of custom fields on the elft it would move the sig further down on the right. In 3.2.2 there's little to no space between the post and the sig, even if the userInfoPane extends far down. Maybe I am just mistaken about how it was in 3.2.1. Something looks odd about it though.

my link was removed also delete my cookies why on earth do you remove all those features so we have tp pay for some hooks

Not sure what "my link" is.

Every browser in existence can let you delete cookies - this is not something you need a link for in the software. It serves no useful purpose.

Not sure what "my link" is.

Every browser in existence can let you delete cookies - this is not something you need a link for in the software. It serves no useful purpose.

Sorry, have to disagree here.

Many users do not even know which version of IE they run - it is simply a browser!

So to give them a link to just remove the cookies for the one site is very simple and worked very well.

To get them to delete cookies for just the one site (or even all cookies) is like asking someone to change the oil in an engine.

They do not even know what a cookie even is.

So, sorry, it served a very useful useful purpose for many users.

We should not forget that many of our customers are not faimilar with computers / internet.

Archived