What do you think of 3.2?

wraz

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, your making no sense now - I said you can't restore a site back to the way it was without backups, and because of that I'm apparently an "idiot" - your words, not mine. Yet you then go on to say all we need to figure out is a way to "revert" the changes made to the database and reupload the files for the previous version. OK, so let's assume that we figure a way to "revert" the dbase ... what files do we "reupload"?? Remember we haven't made a backup here, so where do those files comes from Jay?. My guess is they come from a fresh download of the previous version of IPB straight from IPB, yes - because we HAVEN'T made a backup of those files from our previous board?. OK then, so you loose all the customisations you made, and everything that goes with it - in short, you don't get your old site back - regardless of whether it's possible or not to "revert" the dbase changes - and even then if you're a few months down the line and "revert" the dbase you also loose anything from the dbase that was made on the new version and in all probability end up with one major corrupt dbase.

You are obvously frustrated about something cause all you seem to want to do is throw insults around instead of backing up your argument, why not tell us your theory on how Invision could produce a script to "revert" these changes instead of comparing Invision to every other script that could do things a lot differently, how come you know so much about all these other scripts yet can't give us an insight to how Invision could produce a regress feature? More to the point, why are you using Invision if those other scripts do the same thing and have a "restore" function for their MySQL dbases?.

Lets try to keep this topic civil :smile:

There is no 'downgrader' , the way to revert to a previous version is to restore the files and database from that, the 'cost' is all the data present between the time of that backup and the time you chose to restore it. Attempting to mix and match files and a database from differing versions will cause some interesting (to say the least) issues.

It would be theoretically possible to write a script to downgrade a version although in my personal opinion that would be a very bad waste of a developers time when they could be attending to the current versions of the products.

Lets try to keep this topic civil :smile:

There is no 'downgrader' , the way to revert to a previous version is to restore the files [u]and[/u] database from that, the 'cost' is all the data present between the time of that backup and the time you chose to restore it. Attempting to mix and match files and a database from differing versions will cause some interesting (to say the least) issues.

It would be theoretically possible to write a script to downgrade a version although in my personal opinion that would be a very bad waste of a developers time when they could be attending to the current versions of the products.

Hmmm.. Thanks for clearing that up.

Guess I just have to hope for certain things that I miss from 3.1.4 to work their way back into the software again eventually.

Absolutely agreed, Andy. However, we have so many mod authors releasing things like content blocks in IP.Content as "add-ons", perhaps one of them might be so bored as to create such a script.

There's clearly demand for it, regardless of whether that demand is well-founded or not. Everybody has their own priorities. I think a mod author could make a decent chunk of change by offering a 3.2 to 3.1.4 "converter".

Let's move forward. 3.2 to 3.1.4 converter? Can't be serious.

I am in love with 3.2. I have to say that this is the most helpful and progressive upgrade to hit Invision products in years. Kudos to the development team!

The 'View New Content' page alone is a huge productivity booster and my members love it.

As far as the skin change. I love the new skin. I don't want to be stuck in the 1990's. People want uncluttered web pages so they can focus on the content and the discussion at hand.

Let's move forward. 3.2 to 3.1.4 converter? Can't be serious.

I am in love with 3.2. I have to say that this is the most helpful and progressive upgrade to hit Invision products in years. Kudos to the development team!

The 'View New Content' page alone is a huge productivity booster and my members love it.

As far as the skin change. I love the new skin. I don't want to be stuck in the 1990's. People want uncluttered web pages so they can focus on the content and the discussion at hand.

I haven't upgraded yet but suspect once all the moaning and groaning by our members is done (there always is) it will be better going forward. Every once in a while I get a member say they are confused with how the board works (3.14) and I completely understand. Hopefully 3.2 and beyond will simplify things for the user.

Absolutely agreed, Andy. However, we have so many mod authors releasing things like content blocks in IP.Content as "add-ons", perhaps one of them might be so bored as to create such a script.

There's clearly demand for it, regardless of whether that demand is well-founded or not. Everybody has their own priorities. I think a mod author could make a decent chunk of change by offering a 3.2 to 3.1.4 "converter".

True. I think I would pay for such a thing! Assuming it wasn't too costly though.

You'll most probably find mods for the removed stuff Farron, they'll cost you right enough but that's another story altogether!!

I've found a mod which allows for offsite avatar/photo hosting, which is one thing I wanted but for it to work the ability for photos/avatars to be uploaded to the server needs to be enabled. I need to get rid of that option and just have the Gravatar and offsite hosting which was possible in 3.1.4. I don't have unlimited server space, and I don't wish for it to be my responsibility until the end of time to look after members avatars. They keep their signature images offsite, so the avatars/photos I'd like for them to do the same.

Is there a mod for the Facebook Like button which was at the bottom of pages in 3.1.4 just above the sharing icons? I haven't found one yet.

I guess I can handle the events and birthdays appearing to the right under the status bars, new topics etc though I did prefer them at the bottom of the forum index.

I also used to have an ability when viewing posts to quickly return to the top, by pressing a button in each of the posts in a thread. I can't find a mod for that to return. I believe it is possible to do some editing in the CSS for it to return, but why isn't it be able to set there without having to do that? I believe it is currently set to be hidden, and you need to remove the word 'hide'. That should be a setting in the admin cp to unhide that as I don't like dabbling with things I don't know all about.

Topic Descriptions I miss, but if they can't come back and it is tags from here on out then fine. I would have liked the option to choose between like there is for the reputation system though.

IPB 3.2.x is without doubt the most professional looking forum software out there and aside from a few bugs the features are great. My users love it and beside from a few glitches in the editor everyone has been very positive after the upgrade! Changes happen, there is no way to downgrade. What you should do in the future is to mirror your site and not upgrade the live site. That way you can let your users try the upgrade before upgrading the live site :)

• 2 weeks later...

Also, maybe I am alone in this... The sign in little pop up does not "fetch" my user name and passwords (when I have saved them using Firefox) meaning I have to type them every time or open the sign in link in another tab. That annoys me somewhat, there is a reason I wanted the browser to remember my user name and password.

You're not alone. I agree, it is very annoying. Can this be fixed somehow?

You're not alone. I agree, it is very annoying. Can this be fixed somehow?

It's a limitation of how Firefox implements it's password remembering feature. There are ways to work around it as I understand, but I believe Firefox is improving this functionality in a future release. IE and Safari, for instance, can remember your information in the popup presently.

What do I think of it? I think it stinks. Features that I use were arbitrarily removed, the skin design stinks to high heaven, and I shouldn't have to heavily modify something "out of the box" when it's installed.

Unless certain features are put back in, skiing will be a favorite pastime in Hades before 3.2 appears on my site.

• 2 weeks later...

The changes in View New Content make 3.2 unusable on my site. I have private forums and it's difficult to distinguish them in the new VNC. Because of this, people will make mistakes and post what should be confidential content in public forums.

As my site, on IPB 3.1.4, has only forums, the new side panel filter adds nothing to enhance the user experience.

So I won't be upgrading to 3.2.x or any Invision forum product unless additional VNC configuration options are added.

This is a real difficulty for me because I'm currently on IPS servers. When I move my site, which I will inevitably have to do, I probably will need to purchase software from another vendor and import the site into it.

As usual, I see customers with reservations about IPB have been trashed in this topic -- do save your blather and don't bother to slam me for my opinion.

Archived