So frustrated and upset with ip.Board

davidmedina

IMO IPcontent is the best part of the whole suite by far. I've worked with it a lot. However, the lack of documentation, and the lack of functionality in the area of just making the product easier to setup and integrate with the site are very real problems.

It's the same with me. I have had a community running where my members were able to share their content with others. It was no good because the users couldn't figure out why everything was so complicated. Logging into ACP to write an article and be able to set the SEO-url (the later is or at least was not possible from the frontend) and many other small things they were used to from Joomla. *sighs*

For a new project I'm currently working on I definetely need an easier version of IP.Content. Easier for my users, but still as amazing regarding extensibility etc.

Perhaps it is because portal is now a third party mod - you can find it in the marketplace. The 3.2 version is now in beta testing.

Actually the portal is still in the current version of 3.1.4.... so it's still officially an IPS product. I know it will be dropped in 3.2.... but we aren't there yet!

honestly i think it pretty widely agreed that IP.Content is for more advanced users.

I wish I'd known that before I bought it, though. I didn't get that impression at the time or from the original sales page. It's taken me months to get the IP.Content page close to right, and it's not quote done yet. Everything looks easy, like you go through the wizard to create blocks and stuff, but they never work (or look) quite as I expect them to, given the settings I use. I am slowly learning, but when I bought it I did expect it would work like the rest of the IP suite in the sense that you could insert normal, pre-existing blocks into the sidebar to match the rest of an IPB-based site. I am having to tweak every little thing to make it fit in with the rest of my site.
I can see the appeal for sites like IPS itself, where the "main" site running IP.Content doesn't resemble the forums, but all I really wanted was essentially a portal that I could add a bit more info and style to.

I am sticking with it because I am now too far along and too stubborn to run back to Portal, but I do wish I'd saved myself the hassle and not bought Ip.Content for at least another year or so, to give time for more "common" blocks to be put up in the Marketplace and for more documentation or forum thread how-tos to be generated.

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure that's a very reasonable statement. smile.png While IP.Board is our "core" product, we support all of our products and services equally.

I appreciate your concern and am sorry that you're having a difficult time getting started with IP.Content. It is a relatively new product that's still maturing. We've received a plethora of feedback which will be incorporated in a new release of IP.Content in the near future. We've also already begun revamping documentation as we agree, the present structure focuses more on what rather than how. We are indeed working on it. smile.png

Thank you for your feedback and as always, if you need specific assistance, feel free to submit a ticket or post in the appropriate forums.

You can add me to the list of frustrated customers who have begged for years for IPB to produce a user manual or guide. My car came with a user manual, my smart phone came with a user manual, my digital camera came with a manual and all of those items are far more user intuitive then this piece of software.

Lindy, rather than provide us lip service how about providing us a coherent,usable,functional user manual. That would be the best tool to give your CUSTOMERS satisfaction, confidence and support. Like it or not, a company’s user documentation (or lack thereof) is a reflection on the company itself. To me, putting out a great product and not providing everyone with step by step instructions on how everything can function is nothing short of disastrous. Virtually everything that I have learned about what this software is capable of doing I have learned from other members sites. And that is not right.

Please take this constructively, IMHO IPB should invest in an all-out effort in user manual development the same way they have invested in the new 3.2 board development.

Has IPS listen to this feedback? Year later the documentation is still has not change much or updated.

Has IPS listen to this feedback? Year later the documentation is still has not change much or updated.

:) IPS made a blog entry a while ago where they stated that they're not going to document every aspect of the suite and instead they'll take a FAQ like approach where they will document the questions that come up more often. :)

:) IPS made a blog entry a while ago where they stated that they're not going to document every aspect of the suite and instead they'll take a FAQ like approach where they will document the questions that come up more often. :)

smile.png IPS made a blog entry a while ago where they stated that they're not going to document every aspect of the suite and instead they'll take a FAQ like approach where they will document the questions that come up more often. smile.png

smile.png IPS made a blog entry a while ago where they stated that they're not going to document every aspect of the suite and instead they'll take a FAQ like approach where they will document the questions that come up more often. smile.png

Even that has not been done, there are complete sections missing

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/articles/index.html

Archived