Latest News

Midnight Modding

That feature disappear? That was pretty useful for those not paying attention to all forums to see if they're updated.

Also I thought it was said that 3.2 had ajax fast reply, but any reply I've done has gone through a new page load. Not sure if it's a setting or I was mistaken that it had it or what.

Yes, latest news was removed. It effectively just duplicated the "latest post" information from most site's news forums, which also happened to typically be at the top of the page, so you had the same topic listed right next to each other at the top of the page.

Someone could create a hook for this quite simply, but we didn't feel it provided any real value to the software.

I see your point although despite it beign at the top on most sites (the forum it came from) I still tend to overlook it sometimes as I usually pay attention to other areas. On this site, for example, I would look at the latest news and then mostly the forums I post often in rather than pay attention to that forum itself.

Like i said in other topics nothing is bothering me TOO much. If nothing changes from now until final release I won't be upset or anything. But I just have quite a few "little" things I wish would change.

We want to encourage the use of hooks for these kinds of features which some people find useful, but which on the whole aren't providing much value to the default software. So we certainly expect those who want to make use of it will be able to do so when someone in our mod community releases a hook :)

But since it was already in the code it would have been easier if maybe it was left in and commented out or some note made in the file or whatnot rather than someone having to do it as a new hook, which takes time if you haven't worked with every bit of the software. If I want it badly enough for myself I would probably make it and release it (free, of course), but I'm hoping someone else does. lol

• 3 weeks later...

I think you should reduce the prices personally, considering how stripped down IPB 3.2 is now. You're relying on your own customers to make mods to improve peoples communities, instead of us having them available to use as previous. Just thought I'd say as the more I visit here the worse it gets. Hoping to see big changes in 3.3/4.0.

I think you should reduce the prices personally, considering how stripped down IPB 3.2 is now. You're relying on your own customers to make mods to improve peoples communities, instead of us having them available to use as previous. Just thought I'd say as the more I visit here the worse it gets. Hoping to see big changes in 3.3/4.0.

It's not stripped down - it's streamlined. 2 very different things.

We want to encourage the use of hooks for these kinds of features which some people find useful, but which on the whole aren't providing much value to the default software. So we certainly expect those who want to make use of it will be able to do so when someone in our mod community releases a hook :smile:

Then it would of course be excellent if IPS created the hook and left it turned off be default! ;)

You take care of all issues here, one, you remove the bloat as you call it, two you leave the option for a simple "Click" to turn it back on. :)

• 1 month later...

I used the news to show forum topic titles on my site's main index page (i.e. not my forum's index page).
The reason I do this is because a lot of people who visit my site don't necessarily want to visit my forum.
I understand Invision's reasons for changing this, but what's kind of sad is that the official policy is "find your work around to do it, we certainly won't offer it to you!".
My site's main page now shows this error:

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/whatever/public_html/index.php:10) in/home/whatever/public_html/foros/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 470

Which, until it is solved, doesn't portray a very professional image of my site.

And all I've done to you, invision, is pay my (numerous) bills...

• 1 month later...

Archived