Parent forum marked as unread (even if read) when sub-forum is unread

Clickfinity

Any chance of this being changed?

It seems illogical that after reading a forum in its entirity - it is marked as UNREAD on the homepage if one of its sub-forums has unread items.

I've reported it as a bug, but it has been marked as WAI. Surely that's just plain wrong - the forum is READ - completely - no unread items whatsoever - completed free of items, posts or topics that I have not read or marked as read - so why? why? why mark it as UNREAD?

Please re-consider this and show it as read on the homepage if it is completely read - regardless of the state of any sub-forums.

Thanks,
Shaun :D

Equally, marking a forum read from the homepage, marks all sub-forums as read too. That's a bit nuts as well - why not just mark the selected forum as read and leave the others alone?

Just goes against my logic and I think it should work on a per-forum basis only.

Cheers,

• Management

It's always been that way. The marking functions haven't changed in 3.2. I think it makes sense, if you mark the parent forum read then you will expect all sub-forums to be read.

At least, I can see a case whereby if we changed the behaviour so that sub forums remained marked, that one could submit a bug report stating that they expected everything inside to be marked read as well.

• Management

Actually, if you choose to use the link at the top of a forum "Mark this forum as read" then it will just mark that one single forum as read.

If you choose to click the forum icon on the board index, then it will mark that forum and everything inside as read.

This makes sense to me.

Actually, if you choose to use the link at the top of a forum "Mark this forum as read" then it will just mark that one single forum as read.

Yes, but it still "displays" as unread on the forum homepage ... :wink:

Can this be changed in the skin? or does it go deeper - marker database level for example?

Actually... thinking about it, in previous versions where there was no new-post in subforum indicators, I'd agree that it is WAI, but now we have read/unread subforum indicators, I think the icon should represent that forum only.

Actually... thinking about it, in previous versions where there was no new-post in subforum indicators, I'd agree that it is WAI, but now we have read/unread subforum indicators, I think the icon should represent that forum only.

I disagree, I think the way it is now makes sense. You can't really say you've read a forum if it has a child forum you haven't read. Those unread topics in the child forum are in the parent forum too, just also nested in a further forum.

• Management

I can certainly see both points but this is one of those situations where whatever we do, someone will say we've done it the wrong way. In this case, we'll just stick with what IP.Board 3.x did and have it so if you mark the 'top parent' everything inside is marked as read.

I can certainly see both points but this is one of those situations where whatever we do, someone will say we've done it the wrong way. In this case, we'll just stick with what IP.Board 3.x did and have it so if you mark the 'top parent' everything inside is marked as read.

What about making it admin-defined behavior via ACP? That way, everybody wins. :smile:

(In a future version of course, a bit late in the game for that kind of coding I'd imagine)

I've just figured out why it was bothering me so much here.

It's the bold formatting on the forum names.

I don't have the bold/normal for unread/read status on my site, just the icons, and so the forum link "look" doesn't change. But it does here, and that's why it bugs me so much.

Just thought I'd mention it ... although since it's such an easy thing to change, I'll just tweak it to suit once I upgrade ... :D

Cheers,

Archived