Commas after subforum titles look awful!

U2 Fan

Yeah, IP.Board should probably strip out commas everywhere, they might confuse people that there are subforums here in random posts too, like this one.

I'm honestly surprised this is still being discussed. Is it really that uncommon to see a list of things separated by commas? They're just punctuation marks, separating items in a list, they're not meant to be some special subforum separation indicator.

You will not be saying that when commas are in short supply globally - cut down on the use of commas now for the next generation!

;)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm honestly surprised this is still being discussed. Is it really that uncommon to see a list of things separated by commas? They're just punctuation marks, separating items in a list, they're not meant to be some special subforum separation indicator.

It's being discussed not because people don't like lists of things separated by commas, but because it looks ugly and awkward in this layout instance. Commas are great, I love'em, but I don't use them in design if they don't suit it.

I'm having a moment of genius:

Make them bordered like the newest member and total posts at the bottom :sorcerer:

Example:

Screen_shot_2011-06-08_at_11.28.22_AM.PN

Still liking this idea, with subforums listings set up in columns to preserve a professional look (instead of a huge list of links that looks like a jumbled mess).

Ah, that 'professional look' term that gets tossed around here so much, that we each define in our own way. :ike:

I think putting that bubble around the subforums gives them too much emphasis; my eye gets drawn to them in that image more than the parent forums they live in. If I knew nothing about the software and I looked at that image, I wouldn't even know that 'Skinning and Design' might have any content of its own in it. It looks to me like it's just a category, that I have to pick one of the items below it if I want to browse through there. Yes, it may in fact be set up that way, but that's not necessarily always going to be the case.

Just leave it the way it is, and skin it later if you don't like it. That's the beauty of Invision Board, they allow you to customize it any way you want :) There obviously is a reason why they changed the way they display subforums in 3.2 from 3.1. Let them do the market research for us, and we can worry about building our communities :)

Also, there is no need for the green and red icon dots to show "read or unread" with the new structure, because the whole sub forum title will become un-bold when read. I find this much more effective personally.

Just leave it the way it is, and skin it later if you don't like it. That's the beauty of Invision Board, they allow you to customize it any way you want :smile: There obviously is a reason why they changed the way they display subforums in 3.2 from 3.1. Let them do the market research for us, and we can worry about building our communities :smile:

Also, there is no need for the green and red icon dots to show "read or unread" with the new structure, because the whole sub forum title will become un-bold when read. I find this much more effective personally.

No. Charles has to do what I say. I'm the customer and I'm always right.

%7Boption%7D

(Just so everyone is clear: It won't be a horribly evil skin change to change the commas into bullet points....)

Edit:
Here's the change. boardIndexTemplate

<a href="{parse url="showforum={$__data[0]}" seotitle="{$__data[2]}" template="showforum" base="public"}" title='{$this->lang->words['go_to_forum']}'>{$__data[1]}</a><if test="isNotLast:|: empty($__data[4] )">,</if>

Change to:

<a href="{parse url="showforum={$__data[0]}" seotitle="{$__data[2]}" template="showforum" base="public"}" title='{$this->lang->words['go_to_forum']}'>{$__data[1]}</a><if test="isNotLast:|: empty($__data[4] )">•</if>

Edit:

Here's the change. boardIndexTemplate

<a href="{parse url="showforum={$__data[0]}" seotitle="{$__data[2]}" template="showforum" base="public"}" title='{$this->lang->words['go_to_forum']}'>{$__data[1]}</a><if test="isNotLast:|: empty($__data[4] )">,</if>

Change to:

<a href="{parse url="showforum={$__data[0]}" seotitle="{$__data[2]}" template="showforum" base="public"}" title='{$this->lang->words['go_to_forum']}'>{$__data[1]}</a><if test="isNotLast:|: empty($__data[4] )">•</if>

WHAT? You want ME to do it MYSELF? I'm the customer. You should get down on your knees and BEG to do it for ME.

Let's just create a ACP setting! "Sub-Forum Spacer:" - that way, you can use anything you want!

<a href="{parse url="showforum={$__data[0]}" seotitle="{$__data[2]}" template="showforum" base="public"}" title='{$this->lang->words['go_to_forum']}'>{$__data[1]}</a><if test="isNotLast:|: empty($__data[4] )">{$this->settings['subForumSpacer']}</if>

Let's just create a ACP setting! "Sub-Forum Spacer:" - that way, you can use anything you want!

<a href="{parse url="showforum={$__data[0]}" seotitle="{$__data[2]}" template="showforum" base="public"}" title='{$this->lang->words['go_to_forum']}'>{$__data[1]}</a><if test="isNotLast:|: empty($__data[4] )">{$this->settings['subForumSpacer']}</if>

I actually like that idea - can that be created as an aftermarket hook?

I'm having a moment of genius: Make them bordered like the newest member and total posts at the bottom :sorcerer: Example: [img=http://cl.ly/3h2H3R0730131t3p3B1p/Screen_shot_2011-06-08_at_11.28.22_AM.PNG]

That looks MUCH better. Personally I'd prefer having them in columns and have the option to specify a forum specific icon. Many folks are very visual, and respond better to icons than to linked text. Fishfish0001's solution would have the advantage of providing a bit of visual interest via pure CSS. Light weight and consistent with other design cues in 3.2. Put Fishfish0001's idea in columns and you would probably have a great compromise!

James

That looks MUCH better. Personally I'd prefer having them in columns and have the option to specify a forum specific icon. Many folks are very visual, and respond better to icons than to linked text. Fishfish0001's solution would have the advantage of providing a bit of visual interest via pure CSS. Light weight and consistent with other design cues in 3.2. Put Fishfish0001's idea in columns and you would probably have a great compromise!

James

%7Boption%7D

Archived