Suggestion: Next Step After Registration

CallieJo

Was there any action taken on this suggestion? It is a good suggestion.

Yes I have taken some steps, but it more a work in progress as I keep thinking of new ways to swing the cat and I am looking at the whole box n dice issue per say, help files FAQ contact etc etc, not that my site is anything special or big like many here I suppose it's setting some future foundations.

For the starter guide i built this Quick Start Guide and i have linked to this from several fronts and for the help files etc which is also a work in progress i built this FAQ Faults N Feedback it combines a lot of common tasks option in one neat package, the FAQ's are sorted by popularity, it lets you ask new questions, ads a site support ticket type system, and also connect to the original help files.

The whole thing is still very raw, and the FAQ also connect out to the bigger blog tutorial per say, these after the beginners quick start guide will branch out into more advanced tutorials and I probably would at a later date upgrade to video tutorials where i could.

I am sure I have made many errors and have a long way to go to improve but this is it so far and all inspired by this thread. / open to ideas

• 3 months later...

Also just an FYI Paw it's "Per se" not "Per say" :tongue:

lol I live outback bush and up a creek with out a paddle, it is a place where the dust and flies are more common than your average yobbo, we have our own language out here. paw say :smile:

• 1 year later...

I would love to see a profile completion progress bar. You'd need to be able to assign items for inclusion though, because some custom fields are often optional and rarely used.

I'm actually surprised no one has made a third party add on for this yet.

Isn't there an addon to auto send a pm to new users? why not just type up your todo list in that?

Yes, there is, and it works well. However, a lot of people sign up on forums and lurk for a period of time without adding additional profile info... until they decide the forum is worth further investment their time. This is where a profile reminder system would come in handy.

Yes, there is, and it works well. However, a lot of people sign up on forums and lurk for a period of time without adding additional profile info... until they decide the forum is worth further investment their time. This is where a profile reminder system would come in handy.

I see what you mean, but constantly reminding people like that isn't really going to convince lurkers to stick around.
As mentioned above, Facebook does this and for the most part, it irritates the bejeebus out of people.
I'm forever clicking x's on Facebook just because I cannot be bothered to fill out specific info. XD

I see what you mean, but constantly reminding people like that isn't really going to convince lurkers to stick around.
As mentioned above, Facebook does this and for the most part, it irritates the bejeebus out of people.
I'm forever clicking x's on Facebook just because I cannot be bothered to fill out specific info. XD

I think that primarily comes down to how prominently the site owner chooses to display the reminders, progress bars, etc. They can range from "no big deal" to extremely obtrusive, depending on the site you visit. Mainly, it depends on the site owner's own goals, policies and requirements. If a complete and accurate profile is essential for proper operation of the community, it requires more "nagging". If it's merely for a matter of extra convenience, but otherwise non-essential, there isn't a great need for obsessive nagging.

For instance, if I ran a site that involved professional networking and job opportunities, I would probably view a complete and accurate profile as highly essential. If I was running a fan club site, it probably wouldn't matter a whole lot.

In other words, it depends on the site, who you're targeting and how much information you want to require from your members.

Archived