3.2 - Mark Community Read - why so complicated?

broni

OK, I come here, I go through "View New Content", I'm done and I want to mark all board as "read".
Not so easy...

I got this:

%7Boption%7D

I simply can't imagine why would someone want to mark just "Gallery", for instance, as "read".
What's the reasoning behind all those sub-links?

That is what happens? Click 1: opens menu click 2: mark community read. Done.

I mean the "Mark Community Read". It opens the drop down on first click and closes it on second click. You have to wait for the drop down menu and then click on Mark all as read. Not an issue but I think it would speed up the process a bit.

• Management

You're confusing me :)

You said:

I think it should be that if it's clicked twice, it marks the whole board as read, as in gallery, tracker etc.

Which is exactly what it does. In two clicks the whole community is marked as read.

You're confusing me :smile:

You said:

Which is exactly what it does. In two clicks the whole community is marked as read.

Sorry. :wacko:

Just to be clear you mean if you click the "Mark community read" button twice it will mark everything as read? You dont mean "Mark all as read" right?

Pereira - no, you have to scroll up and click on "Mark all read".

I wonder how many people at my forum will be like me and for the first few times click back on "Mark Community Read" rather than scrolling up and clicking on "Mark all read"? Seems this caught a few of us out as the formatting is a bit confusing with the "Mark Community Read" part almost part of the popup.

3DKiwi

I wonder how many people at my forum will be like me and for the first few times click back on "Mark Community Read" rather than scrolling up and clicking on "Mark all read"? Seems this caught a few of us out as the formatting is a bit confusing with the "Mark Community Read" part almost part of the popup.

I got caught by this. I already have my mouse over the option that says exactly what I want to do "Mark Community Read", so that's where I tried clicking first.

I'm confused by the addition of a popup. Why add more steps to a well known and used option?
I can see the desirability of some members members only wanting to mark part of a site read, so I get adding more options. But why not have both - a simple, one-click "mark all as read" button for those of us who want to do just that, and a multi-step process for people who want to be more specific?

I got caught by this. I already have my mouse over the option that says exactly what I want to do "Mark Community Read", so that's where I tried clicking first.

I'm confused by the addition of a popup. Why add more steps to a well known and used option?

I can see the desirability of some members members only wanting to mark part of a site read, so I get adding more options. But why not have both - a simple, one-click "mark all as read" button for those of us who want to do just that, and a multi-step process for people who want to be more specific?

It's for the idiots who sometimes click that link on accident when they don't want to mark the board as read.

Like me. :) Do it all the time. -_-

you all are making a lot of fuss for no reason

That's not the point.
In my eyes, overall, I really like3.2 version, but since it's still in beta, we've been trying to point IPB people to some minor dings and dangs we don't like, or, in our opinion, may need some adjustments.

That's not the point.

In my eyes, overall, I really like3.2 version, but since it's still in beta, we've been trying to point IPB people to some minor dings and dangs we don't like, or, in our opinion, may need some adjustments.

Still a strange thing to nitpick over. The functionality is there and works fine.

I use View New Content quite a bit and this would be my only problem with 3.2. It's not the biggest deal, only adds a scroll down to the bottom and a few clicks but as I view VNC several times an hour, I'm starting to notice it. Couple of suggestions I've been thinking of:

1. Change "Mark Community Read" to a delayed hover link, so you can mark the whole community read with one click but if you need to mark a specific application read, just wait for the hover to launch.
or
2. On the VNC page, add an option to "Mark (app_name) Read". So if you browsing the Forums, you would have an option to mark forums read. Example.

Yes I would prefer a one click option as well. Too bad if they haven't browsed the store yet.

Have to say that marking the store or marketplace here as read is a bit of nonsense isn't it?

3DKiwi

I disagree. It's not nonsense at all, especially when it heavily affects VNC which many people use as their primary site navigation.

I would agree marking the store as read is nonsense. But marking the gallery, or the blogs or some other 3rd party app as read? People would certainly want to be able to do that.

In fact marking the gallery as read is a bit of waste of time as well. If you mark it as read and then press the VNC link again and then select the gallery you get the images loaded in the last 24 hours. I would expect to get no results since I had just marked the gallery as read. Perhaps for the gallery there needs to be an option like there is for the forum "content I have not read"? That would then make marking the gallery as read meaningful.

3DKiwi

Archived