"Like" is over used

Biker.GA

Why just a "Like" button? Everywhere one looks, it's Like Like Like. No dislike? Why not? One cannot express disapproval over a post?

This is the beef I have with trying to emulate everyone else. Just because everyone else does it, does that mean you have to do it as well? Be different! Throw in a Dislike button, too!

**sigh**

They really need to set up an area where Admins can go see what's different and what can be changed when new changes loom on the horizon. I would imagine it would cut down on a lot of the posts for suggestions and what not.

Thanks for the info.

**sigh**

They really need to set up an area where Admins can go see what's different and what can be changed when new changes loom on the horizon. I would imagine it would cut down on a lot of the posts for suggestions and what not.

Thanks for the info.

They did have a preview board set up for several weeks for just this sort of thing.

I may be wrong, but I have a feeling Beta 2 may actually be available as a download (since they fixed lots of bugs in the current version, according to the Bug Tracker) and then we will have a chance to test it out ourselves.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but it's about what I was about to post so I figured why not...

In the guide named Ranks, Reputation, Pips, Etc. it says:

Reputation Type

The "Like System" is a simple up-vote method where users vote up content that they "like". This system allows for positive-reputation only, and will display the user's name who has liked the content.

My question is the same as the original poster in this thread. Why just a "Like" button? A Dislike button would balance things out. It's a mean old world out there and you can't possibly "Like" everything. I prefer not to have a reputation system because as much as people say it's about post content and not the poster, it invariably ends up being about the poster. That in turn leads to arguments and fights. But a simple "Like Dislike" system that is solely based on post content would be much better in keeping the peace. One of the rules on our board is "If you must challenge others' points of view and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Remember, challenge the post, not the poster." It goes on to say what will happen if they don't pay attention to that rule, but for the sake of this discussion that is irrelevant. The point I am trying to make is why make it easy for people to start fights?

I'm sure the last thing a forum Administrator wants to be is a referee in an online shouting match. Or as I have been known to say, a babysitter. I know I sure don't. I had enough of that with my own miniature army of kids, I don't want to babysit other peoples kids on my forum. If it was truly about the post content then why is it named "Reputation"? That practically specifies that it is about the person posting the content, not the content itself.

That's just my opinion, but there ya go... :smile:

Dislike is a terrible button. When I had it enabled it caused some members to hate each other because someone disliked their post or whatnot.

I think with dislike, there should be a reason because many people dislike things for different reasons. From bad spelling, opinion, bias and just because they don't like a member. You shouldn't be getting neg rep just because another person doesn't like you in general.

Dislike is a terrible button. When I had it enabled it caused some members to hate each other because someone disliked their post or whatnot. I think with dislike, there should be a reason because many people dislike things for different reasons. From bad spelling, opinion, bias and just because they don't like a member. You shouldn't be getting neg rep just because another person doesn't like you in general.

This is why I ended up setting it to where only active contributory members of my community can give negative reputation. I also have rules against discussing reputation in posts. Members are not allowed to ask for reputation, complain about getting down-voted, and only staff can see who gave what reputation to a post.

You can use the Positive / Negative reputation system. Allows you to rep up and down content... Just rename the output Like / Dislike... Problem solved.

No, it isn't solved. That is exactly what I said I didn't want. As I said before, "Reputation" leads to arguments. Whether it's positive or negative, it still gets averaged into that +20 - 20 good bad reputation thing. And that always ends up being about the people posting, not the post content. A simple "Like Dislike" system that would be based on single post content only, with at most a total of likes and or dislikes but no average, would be vastly preferable. And I would think it would be much easier for the programmers to write because it would not have all that averaging stuff to deal with.

Dislike is a terrible button. When I had it enabled it caused some members to hate each other because someone disliked their post or whatnot.

That is exactly what I was talking about. And the reason that was happening is because it wasn't a simple "Like Dislike" system like I described above, but the positive or negative, +20 - 20 averaged reputation system I am trying to avoid using. In fact, I just turned it off. Or at least I hope what I did turned it off...

This is why I ended up setting it to where only active contributory members of my community can give negative reputation. I also have rules against discussing reputation in posts. Members are not allowed to ask for reputation, complain about getting down-voted, and only staff can see who gave what reputation to a post.

I've been running forums a long time, longer than IPB has even been around, and in my experience I have learned that just because you make rules does not mean people will follow them. I think it's almost guaranteed that they won't follow that one. Because if it is still the reputation system, I think it absolutely will lead to arguments. Only in this case, you're going to be adding complaints that it's not equal and is unfair to some people. That is something I have always worked very hard to do. Make everything about a forum be fair to everyone. That is not always the easiest thing to do, but I have always felt it is the right thing to do.

So use the reputation system and remove the public-facing display on the member profile page and wherever else it might appear via template edits -- that way a user has no way to see their "average" across all posts, so the only thing that matters is the count on each individual post.

For what it's worth, the "like" system works the exact same way as reputation -- it increases your global average. It's just that there is no way to decrease it with the likes system.

I'm not saying the system will work for your community, I'm saying it's a system that I've built and have had success with.

The few people that do not read/follow the reputation guidelines are given a verbal notice with an explanation as to how the system works and why it works the way it does. Negative reputation is seldom abused, the posts that get nuked are posts that obviously deserve it. Most of the time they are just trash/spammy posts that get warned anyways. I've wanted to use the reputation system to automatically hide posts under a static threshold for all members by default, which is not natively possible with IP.Board, and my suggestion to improve the old reputation system has largely gone unnoticed.

So use the reputation system and remove the public-facing display on the member profile page and wherever else it might appear via template edits -- that way a user has no way to see their "average" across all posts, so the only thing that matters is the count on each individual post.

For what it's worth, the "like" system works the exact same way as reputation -- it increases your global average. It's just that there is no way to decrease it with the likes system.

That might just work... If I knew where to edit. But would dropping all that +20 - 20 crap for it in the ACP do it? If there's nothing to display it seems logical it wouldn't show much...

Negative reputation is seldom abused, the posts that get nuked are posts that obviously deserve it. Most of the time they are just trash/spammy posts that get warned anyways.

We don't have much of a problem with spammers anymore. I set up a New Members Start Here forum, with a single thread in it where new members have to agree to the rules a second time before they get "promoted" to a full member. This usually stops the bots (or at least defeats their purpose) because that forum disappears after they post in that thread so the board doesn't show anything posted in it to regular members. Over the years we've been running this board we rarely ever get any bots that post more than one post, and very few human spammers ever register anymore. The few that do get blocked immediately, since we require User then Admin Validation before they can even get to the New Members Start Here forum. Obvious spammers never even get that far.

I've wanted to use the reputation system to automatically hide posts under a static threshold for all members by default, which is not natively possible with IP.Board, and my suggestion to improve the old reputation system has largely gone unnoticed.

That would be good. I've noticed that a few times too. Maybe they get so many suggestions that they only comment on the ones they like?

http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/6400-content-ratings/

Already been done.

I misunderstood that you weren't wanting it tied to user rep.

Thanks, but I don't buy mods anymore. IPB changes too much, too often, and when some mod writers get tired of playing "Upgrade Upgrade" they just quit supporting their mods and move on, leaving paying customers holding a bunch of useless code. I have better things to waste money on, like my grand children... :smile:

Archived