Member Card popping up unintentionally too often

Rhett

I thought I would mention this as it's happening to me quite often and maybe others too?

While viewing threads in a forum or the view new content pages, I often have unintentional pop ups of the member cards. We all use our mouse to kind of scroll through the threads and since the member names are not formatted any differently then the rest of the text I often find my mouse over them and I get the card pop up.

While this is something I could avoid by keeping my mouse to the right of the threads, it often defaults by my own brain to the title of the thread for selecting and scrolling.

I guess there could be a few options to make this better.

1. Increase the time needed to activate the member card on mouseover
2. Format the member names so they stand out as a link to the member card rather then having them as blind hidden links.
3. Make it where a click is needed to get the pop up rather then a mouse over. (my choice along with #2)

Anyone else get these popping up by mistake?

That only happen if you keep putting you're mouse over a member name while browsing the list,because it's not happeing to me unless i hover a member name.

Of course it only happens when you put your mouse over a members name.

1. Increase the time needed to activate the member card on mouseover

Anyone else get these popping up by mistake?

Yes, I'm getting member cards by mistake as well. I think your idea of increasing the amount of time needed to activate the popup is a good one.

When one clicks on a link to read a thread, and then uses the mouse scroll wheel to scroll down, generally the mouse pointer is left in the same position on the left. This places the pointer directly in line with the user names and the popups occur. Definitely annoying and definitely needs an adjustment.

So don't do it :tongue:

SImples.

:ike:

When one clicks on a link to read a thread, and then uses the mouse scroll wheel to scroll down, generally the mouse pointer is left in the same position on the left. This places the pointer directly in line with the user names and the popups occur. Definitely annoying and definitely needs an adjustment.

yes, when something happens to me 15 times a day without trying to do it, I feel it's an issue....

The old way was just fine... click on a name to get the card.... not very often are the member cards used so having them pop up all the time is a pain.

But not everyone will actually know that you need to click the username in order to bring up the member cards. I'm thinking that was one of the reasons for making it pop up when hovering over the name, so they'd see it. I personally don't have a problem with it. It rarely happens to me because I know it will happen so I just avoid moving my mouse too close to their names. And even when it does, it disappears like in a second, so no big deal for me. I'd rather have that feature and deal with the rare "accidental" pop ups than not have it at all. :smile:

But not everyone will actually know that you need to click the username in order to bring up the member cards. I'm thinking that was one of the reasons for making it pop up when hovering over the name, so they'd see it. I personally don't have a problem with it. It rarely happens to me because I know it will happen so I just avoid moving my mouse too close to their names. And even when it does, it disappears like in a second, so no big deal for me. I'd rather have that feature and deal with the rare "accidental" pop ups than not have it at all. :smile:

Well I see it about 20 times a day now... so their plan is working lmao

and the older method of having the little image to click worked just fine imo.

Maybe my laptop is different to your screen, but I only ever see it if I choose to.

Even when I do hover, I have to hover for around 2 seconds before it appears, which is plenty of time to decide whether to move on or wait.

That is my experience in Chrome - maybe your browser is different.

I'm using chrome too..... of course I can move my mouse over to the right so it's not inline of the name.... but my normal habit of position pops this up often.

Not a big deal, but just another pesky little annoyance.

The whole idea here is to make this new forum version the most user friendly we can....... thus the reason for this thread....

posting get over it, it happens is ignoring the issue that is present and continuing on the same way as the past..... in which isn't working very well, hence the need for so many changes in this new version.

This is a feedback forum.... if you don't agree, don't post in this thread.... this thread isn't for you... it's for IPB staff members to look at and make their own decision.

The whole idea here is to make this new forum version the most user friendly we can....... thus the reason for this thread....

posting get over it, it happens is ignoring the issue that is present and continuing on the same way as the past..... in which isn't working very well, hence the need for so many changes in this new version.

This is a feedback forum.... if you don't agree, don't post in this thread.... this thread isn't for you... it's for IPB staff members to look at and make their own decision.

To be fair, just like you should be allowed to voice your opinion, others must be allowed to voice their disagreement. This is a feedback forum after all and both types of comments(agreeing and disagreeing ones) are to be expected and allowed. Just like you voiced your disagreement with trophies on the beta boards.. Kind of contradicting impression you give us here..

To be fair, just like you should be allowed to voice your opinion, others must be allowed to voice their disagreement. This is a feedback forum after all and both types of comments(agreeing and disagreeing ones) are to be expected and allowed. Just like you voiced your disagreement with trophies on the beta boards.. Kind of contradicting impression you give us here..

This is true. Otherwise, why are we all here for then?

fair... i get over it lmao

I also get the popup sometimes by mistake, it is a bit annoying.

Maybe a simple solution would be to change the position of the username, now it is like this:
Started by R1Lover, 05 Jun 2011

This may get it a bit more out of the way.
Started 05 Jun 2011 by R1Lover

Or maybe right-align it.

I also get the popup sometimes by mistake, it is a bit annoying.

Maybe a simple solution would be to change the position of the username, now it is like this:

Started by R1Lover, 05 Jun 2011

This may get it a bit more out of the way.

Started 05 Jun 2011 by R1Lover

Or maybe right-align it.

I think that would fix it as well.....

Archived