3.2 View new content only shows Next Prev no page numbers?

Christophe

Ever since we went to 3.2, this has been one thing that has been a pain in the butt for me. I browse these forums and go through the VNC list to find topics that I want to help with, go through page 1, go through page 2, etc., but then when I'm on a page past the first couple and respond to a topic there, I have to go back into the VNC list and keep hitting next to get back to where I was.

Even if we had the option to enter a page number to jump to, and got told that there aren't any results on that page, that would be better than having to keep hitting next to get to where we want, since each new page reload is just more resource-intensive calculating it has to do.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If IPS aren't going to bring back Pagnation then there's little point in having the 6 month and 1 year filter options. To get to the last page of the last year's VNC results here on IPS's own site requires the Next button to be pressed 948 times.

I also want the number of results back as well. This then gives me some idea of how long it will take me to get up to date. Now with 3.2 I don't know and I don't know how many pages of results there are.

Crazy!!

3DKiwi

I'd like to be proven wrong, but the number of new posts must already be available in the code - how else will the pagination know when to actually appear on the page and when it's not necessary. ;)

Should be a simple change when the Beta is released.

VNC I can understand (although it is not working at the moment), but on the forums not so important.

I would disagree. Consistency throughout the entire design of the forum would indicate that pagination should be everywhere or not used at all. I, along with others, prefer it to be available.

I would disagree. Consistency throughout the entire design of the forum would indicate that pagination should be everywhere or not used at all. I, along with others, prefer it to be available.

I totally agree with this. Things need to be consistent. If quite a few of us are complaining about it here you can be sure the members of our forums will be.

3DKiwi

It's resource intensive to calculate the number of pages. Besides, knowing number of pages doesn't really seem all that necessary in view new content. You're either going to read the unread content or not after all :smile:

it's like this in messenger too which is sometimes a big deal if you want to move a few pages back!

Here's why I need page numbers. I've arrived here today and there are 4 pages of results. I'm browsing through the list of topics in the results and have read and replied to a few. After I've replied I've got to click on VNC again to get the results back. Where was I up to? Was it page 1, 2,3 or 4. I don't know. I've now got to look at the topic titles and figure out what page I was on to continue where I left off. Pitiful.

Now imagine a member that drops by your site once or twice per week. They could have say 20 pages of results. Those people are going to get mighty annoyed not having the page numbers and posting replies to a few and getting themselves up to date.

If it's resource intensive then so be it.

I'll be hanging off upgrading like I usually. I'll be watching with interest what members of boards think of 3.2.

3DKiwi

I would prefer having the number of pages that are to be read, it may be resource intensive so (ug) make it a performance option.

It should have a pagination, if someones visiting a busy forum for the first time in 3/4 days theres going to be alot pages of topics they'll miss out on.

I'd also like an option to minimize the left bar since I will never use it or have an admin option to turn it off. I've changed it on my forum to work as it did in 2.3 as a view new posts link only, and its much better. Incredibly annoying going from a users profile to view new content and it showing latest members instead of posts.

If quite a few of us are complaining about it here you can be sure the members of our forums will be.

Will they? I reckon that half the items being moaned about on here will not be noticed by members and where they do, it will just be accepted.

Not say that is right or wrong, but just reality.

Here's why I need page numbers. I've arrived here today and there are 4 pages of results. I'm browsing through the list of topics in the results and have read and replied to a few. After I've replied I've got to click on VNC again to get the results back. Where was I up to? Was it page 1, 2,3 or 4. I don't know. I've now got to look at the topic titles and figure out what page I was on to continue where I left off. Pitiful.

Now imagine a member that drops by your site once or twice per week. They could have say 20 pages of results. Those people are going to get mighty annoyed not having the page numbers and posting replies to a few and getting themselves up to date.

If it's resource intensive then so be it.

I'll be hanging off upgrading like I usually. I'll be watching with interest what members of boards think of 3.2.

3DKiwi

oh so true, so true. lets keep hoping pag. will be added back.

Archived