3.2 View new content only shows Next Prev no page numbers?

Christophe

I just noticed that clicking the view new content only shows NEXT and PREVIOUS for pagination.
Is this intended? If you have 200 pages to go through you only see NEXT to move to the next page?

What is the reason to have removed the pagination? just wondering...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Management

It's resource intensive to calculate the number of pages. Besides, knowing number of pages doesn't really seem all that necessary in view new content. You're either going to read the unread content or not after all :)

I miss the pagination. It's useful to know how many pages total you have to browse through as well as how far into the total you are.

Most other sites have this feature, Google, Digg and Reddit, to name a few. It helps to wade through large search results.

Yeah. While pagination may be resource intensive, there has to be a fine balance somewhere. If the page count were to disappear suddenly on my site, I'd have users screaming bloody blue murder. At least make it an option we can choose to turn on and off.

I understand it is resource intensive but think about it as the tracker for example.

Wouldn't you like to know that there are 18 pages of bugs or messages to fix/read instead of showing the front page only and a NEXT button?
If the reason is only to save on resources then I would suggest creating a new tab in the ACP called Load Management or Resources Management and putting settings there that can be turned on or off depending on the platform or strength of the server. I run a top of the line quad prod raided machine with a strong database...I can afford the extra resources to improve presentation.

just my 2 cents, this was just feedback. If people require it I am sure a mod will be made. I only think this was part of the usability of previous themes and removing it creates a need for it.

One thing I do not want to be doing is putting stuff back in that was removed to make things "pretty". I already have enough edits to do with major updates. I don't need more just because someone thought it was "pretty" or it added too much overhead. If keeping the page numbers along with the other changes created an issue, the answer should not have been to remove pagination.

I miss pagnation as well. If it's resource intensive then it was on 3.1 as well and it wasn't an issue then. Let's not overdo the resource issue thing otherwise we might as well go back to a non graphic type forum from 10-15 years ago. It doesn't seem to be a problem with Xenforo and VBulletin as shown below

What would be very resource intensive is the silly options in VNC for recent posts 6 months and 12 months ago.

I'll pay for a hook that adds pagnation back in. I want it and I'm sure a few of members will complain when they see it's missing.

3DKiwi

Looks like I disagree with most. While I do miss it a bit I am happy to give it up for overall performance. The more things—especially little things like this—that we are willing to live without, the faster our pages will load.

That won't make a whole lot of difference for most site owners who, I think, as a rule have faster broadband internet connections that the most. While broadband internet is common now, not everyone's is as fast as yours might be. Do you really want to slow their page load a bit just for your convenience?

Leave it out, I will adjust and get used to it.

Or mabe instead of pagination, possibly Charles will tell us if just the total number of posts is less resouce intensive.

Sandi - Pagnation is not graphics intensive so there's almost no overhead for your members downloading. The highlighting / colours is all done with css. The resource issue if there is one is on your hosts server.

Following the logic of removing pagnation from VNC results should we not also remove it from multi page topics? I want it in VNC results just like with topics so that I can more easily browse the pages. For example if I've been away for a few days I often want to start with the last page. Now with 3.2 I have keep clicking the next button to get to the last page.

You can almost guarantee those coming from VBulletin will be asking for this.

3DKiwi

Following the logic of removing pagnation from VNC results should we not also remove it from multi page topics?

Point well taken, although the logic for needing pagination on multi-page topics seems a bit more worthy.

i am going to have to agree that pagination on VNC is necessary - for the reasons I have stated time and again. If you start out on 24 hours and then change your scope to 1 week or longer you have to start from page 1 and click until you get to the point you left off.

The server just requested MORE results but you still only see the first 25 so now your users must tax the server by hitting next umpteen times just to get back to where they were.

So really what is more server intensive - these seems like needless and useless queries?

I am humbly - PLEADING - please have an option to paginate & navigate day by day and allow users to step back for any given day.

The returned set of records would be much more finite making it easier to calculate the number of pages.

If you have 100 post in a day and there are 25 posts displaying in the VNC you would have 4 pages. - now that wasn't hard.

Archived