Can you bring back the user photo to the top menu bar please?

The Old Man

But that is there to show as to the posters of each topic. Makes sense to have own image there.

We see the images in topic view as we always have, as avatars. We don't need users photos all over the place. I don't get why they removed the forum icons and new topic indicators %7Boption%7D on forum view and replaced them with the same avatars we see in topic view.

And they look rubbish that small too.

We see the images in topic view as we always have, as avatars. We don't need users photos all over the place. I don't get why they removed the forum icons and new topic indicators %7Boption%7D

on forum view and replaced them with the same avatars we see in topic view.

And they look rubbish that small too.

I totally disagree. A page full of text is hardly a visual attraction. Photos bring color and appeal.

The reason why it makes sense to put the picture on the black bar is because most users are dumb. Sorry to say but I manage a crap load of users and its only when they see their picture that they understand that they are logged in. I also understand that for people like us we can see when just our name is there that we are logged in but for the very large majority of people seeing an image on the top bar helps them understanding that they are logged in.

I really do not think that having a small thumbnails would detract from the clean feel of the theme but it would greatly help most people understand when they are logged in or not.

You can see it from the perspective of someone who does not speak english for example. If they are not logged in they would see the text SIGN IN which they do not understand. If they were logged in they would see their picture next to their name and understand that they are logged in. I know it is a silly concept to grasp but people need a visual confirmation that their are logged in besides just their name and the small thumbnails does that.

I totally disagree. A page full of text is hardly a visual attraction. Photos bring color and appeal.

Exactly how I feel. If all we see is text and links when visiting an index page, it's a total turn off, not to mention boring and plain. I feel it's a good idea to show some form of color out in the open index page. As far as adding our avatars (not personal pic) at the top while we're signed in, it's not a bad idea. Not necessarily crucial, but even though we will be the only one's to see our avatars up there, it does look appealing to us. I took the liberty of making a basic screenshot of what it may look if they were to add this feature below.

%7Boption%7Dsigninavy.png' alt='' class='ipsImage' w" alt="" class="ipsImage" width="1000" height="526">

Plus, they can also set it so that when nobody bothers to add an avatar, it simply won't show anything there. :smile:

Interesting responses, thanks all.

I know it says your name on the menu bar already, (when you're logged in), and I know you can see your image if you click on your name first, but I know my members will miss seeing the personalised user menu as instant recognition you're logged in. Images are instant, text you read and is a bit more sterile. I guess its down to individual interpretation of what is more welcoming. Personally, I think that the appearance of the board as a whole is now more corporate in feel which is probably very good for business users, more than say, communities based around hobbies and special interest groups. Having your photo appear on what is your member bar, is a simple and efficient way to make membership feel a bit more of a personal experience.

Archived