Admin permission set

*Salvo*

Maybe there are tonnes of topics on this, but I would like to ask something about the admin permissions.
In the SMF forum, as administrator, you have *all* the permissions. with IPB you must set up almost a good 30% of flags on the permission, even if you're administrator.
Is there a way to set all the permission without any required field, for the admins? Just by default. And just in case, un-flag the stuffs for a second admin set.
Sometime I must remember to set the flag on OK when I create a new forum, a new category and so on...and I don't think it's a problem I only have.
I know that in the past there was a root-administrator set for this proposal: why not again?

To be honest, I am for hard coded root administrators who are protected from deletion/have all access/can't get modified except for rood admins.

It simply adds an additional layer of security against rogue administrators for less tech savvy people who can't manage a database.

What I do is set up my permission masks in a cascading fashion. Members have the basic set of permissions, the next 'higher' group has the member permission mask, plus an additional permission mask which gives them the permissions they get on top of that, and then I repeat for each additional group. So when I add a new forum that everyone should be able to access, I just set it so the Member mask can access it, and then any group that uses that mask automatically gets access to that forum. Easy peasy.

it's ok everything, but still far from my wish. I can always have a co-administrator, or something similar. And in that case of course, I can set the admin permissions un-flagging the stuffs I want to be the only one to manage.
But many hooks, minor options, and a billion of other things, must be flagged to be able to use them even for the administrators, and it looks a bit silly. It's up to the main admin to manage for a group that has the same right, but less power on the core system, and in the mean time to have the ALL rights, to do everything without the need to auto-enable myself...it's a contraddiction. My 2 cents.
I still don't have the all rights, and I'm the owner, founder and administrator of my forum. This is not because I don't want, but because the options that must be flagged are almost everywhere. Who has the time to stay always behind the core system? I don't. That's because of my request, simple and clean. The message on smf for the admin setting was "As administrator you have the all permissions", that cannot be clearer. So, please, advise me if there's some special modification to do, or @ the staff: can you restore the "root admin" option, even if I dindn't know IPB when this option was "alive"?

I like it the way it is now actually. The way I see it, if you can't take 10 minutes to change the permissions then you don't have the time to run a forum.

Cdkey, I'm not opening a poll on the utility of some function. I'm just expressing my wish, ok? If you disagree with, please, feel free to stay simply out of my topic: I'll appreciate a lot. Just mind that we all have different space and time to spend on a community.
Thank you for understanding this.

I grant to Salvo request. Where user has many options to select there should be one option to enable/disable all (at least per page). I also have a suggestion to remove from ACP menu links to restricted sections - for now when someone choose that link, he gets annoying error message about permissions.

If one is administrator, by default has to have the all permissions, without restrictions.
It can even be created a secondary admin group, with the permissions that can be flagged..up to the main admin. If I'm the owner I have to be secure of a second administrator, and if I'm not I don't do it.
I say this because if I spend a day on my forum it doesn't mean that I have to spend a half day on the technical stuffs, but I would enjoy speaking about the argument of my forum.

Cdkey, I'm not opening a poll on the utility of some function. I'm just expressing my wish, ok? If you disagree with, please, feel free to stay simply out of my topic: I'll appreciate a lot. Just mind that we all have different space and time to spend on a community.

Thank you for understanding this.

No. You have a suggestion, and I'm saying that it's a bad suggestion. If I disagree with it then you can't simply push me out of your topic. I would much rather IPS waste time on other things then catering to your silly request which you only make to satiate your laziness. I deserve to say that IPS should not do your suggestion. You don't simply leave a topic because you disagree with it. Especially when you really don't want this feature in IP.Board.

I acknowledge that we all different amounts of time to spend, but maybe you should acknowledge that a community requires more time than you're willing to sacrifice for it.

What you can do is have two administrators groups. Set up restrictions for one of the administrators groups, but not the other. Put 'root admins' in the unrestricted administrators group, and then anyone else who should be restricted, put them in the other administrators group that is restricted.

This allows you to set up the restrictions just once (for the group), rather than having to set them up for each individual administrator you add. You can still override restrictions per-administrator, since IP.Board will use the per-member restrictions before it uses the per-group restrictions.

Yes, it looks closer to what I've meant. I've seen the new system tab and I didn't see before, clearer and definitive. No error messagges. By fortune, the all hooks until now (the ones I've installed) by default allow the options to the admins. So, it becomes all less laborious and mor fluid.

Archived