Member Reviews

Midnight Modding

That's what the people who are testing it out for me as well say, ratings should be 1 to 5 throughout. At the moment, some things are 1-10, some are 1-5, it's inconsistent.

Just for the record on why I did it that way is a lot of sites do rate things out of 10 and I did the 5 ratings for authors mostly because for authors you don't need to be as specific with as many numbers.

Either way I will hopefully add this feature, but keep author rating hardcoded at 1-5 for the stars to match up.

Let me know what the url is for the page it ends up on. And does it never give the message that the review has been submitted before going to the page?

There is no message that says it's been submitted, it just whisks you off to this url:

http://www.talkford.com/index.php?app=reviews&do=do_add

and then displays the board index itself.

As an aside, will you be adding a "review now" button/link from a product page? It's a bit cumbersome to browse a product (which is what people will do to see what their is to review) to then hit the "add review" button and get taken back right to the beginning.

Overall though, the guts of this app are pretty damn good, just needs that extra 10% of polishing off to make it brilliant :thumbsup:

Either way I will hopefully add this feature, but keep author rating hardcoded at 1-5 for the stars to match up.

That'd be great if you could :thumbsup:

The only other bit of feedback from the guys on my site testing it out (the rest can't post due to that category bug above) is:

- Already requested this above :)

What's the preferred format for the review title? I put in the tyre size and what it was fitted to (i.e. "205/50 R17 as fitted to front of Mondeo mk3 TDDi") as that's what I'd want to know when reading reviews ... if you agree with that, then maybe it needs to be enforced with drop tables - or a least a note suggesting it.

Are review titles mandatory? I'm a little uncertain as how to cover this one myself, as the product title is the title, the review title for me, is superfluous. I'm wondering how easy it'd be to add an option to set a custom field for categories. In this instance, I have about 50 or so car tyre reviews, it'd be nice to add some custom fields to let people add their wheel/tyre size, and mileage obtained on that set of tyres. Maybe this would be a custom modification for me to pursue with your help?

I also see that the "price paid" (which has to be entered without a currency) has come up in the finished review as USD ... I guess you either need some localisation script to pick up the correct currency - or a drop table to specify the currency (USD, GBP, EUR, etc) - I know which I'd choose ;)

Which I know you're sorting out at the moment :)

The "Recommendation" drop table has too few options - I didn't want to recommend people "stay away", nor could I wholeheartedly endorse the tyres, so had to pick "try it first" ... which is clearly nonsense ..

How is this controlled? Is it hard-coded? I know the images themselves are, but I can easily make some more up, what about the drop-down selection box?

I see that the "reader rating" is 5 empty stars - presumably these will get filled a la ebay? But my rating is out of ten ... IMO it needs to be out of 5 or out of 10 throughout.

As mentioned by myself and Ian above :)

That's the profile bug I referred back to on page 2 I think :thumbsup:

The only other chap who has successfully created a review loves it :thumbsup:

So far I don't see anything which could cause that. Are you sure you copied the url directly from the board index after that error happened? Usually there would be no way an app could go to the board index unless the url was formed incorrectly. But the url you pasted isn't formed incorrectly as clicking the direct link goes inside the review system.

If it were the review system index page it would have been more likely, but there's not much way of it going to the board index page. It really seems like a lot of weird things are happening on your site so I really wonder if it's some other modification clashing with it.

It was going to be more as some people had offered me over $100 privately in the past, but I went as low as I could for the full package. I still went lower than Nexus and with no renewal costs.

The feature to allow ratings on a different scale than 10 will be a bit tricky, so I'm unsure how to best handle it. For one thing if you were to change from a 10 setup to a 5 all the prior reviews would be rated on the 10. So I would probably have to store the scale type with each review with a default of 10 and then there are a lot of areas I would have to add a lot of code in. So I'm not sure whether I'll do it now or later.

It was going to be more as some people had offered me over $100 privately in the past, but I went as low as I could for the full package. I still went lower than Nexus and with no renewal costs.

Good job they did not offer $500 ;)

Personally anything over $25 has to be well written and I am not sure whether this is ready yet for prime time. I am sure it will be great though in the end, but also have to question as to whether it is worth $70. Compared say to Tutorials @ $40 and Groups at $49. Sorry just my view as selling 10 @ $40 is better than selling 5 @ $70.

I would seriously consider it for one of my sites, but then I also saw the price and so have been watching to see if it is worth the money. That is why I am interested to see if Nick can get it working for his site.

The feature to allow ratings on a different scale than 10 will be a bit tricky, so I'm unsure how to best handle it. For one thing if you were to change from a 10 setup to a 5 all the prior reviews would be rated on the 10. So I would probably have to store the scale type with each review with a default of 10 and then there are a lot of areas I would have to add a lot of code in. So I'm not sure whether I'll do it now or later.

Wouldn't it be better simply to make the scale a database entry and so therefore any site can set it to whatever they like.

Sure if you already have reviews then it is probably best not to alter it, but it would not affect those testing it or about to install it etc.

I'm making it a setting in the ACP as far as the scale goes (when I eventually add it). If members were all rating on different scales it would get even more confusing because the choices when rating it would be different and just a lot of areas would be a bit complicated. I'm trying to do changes which are as low intensive as possible to try to avoid introducing more bugs in. I'm still thinking this all out.

Yes the best price would be whatever would get me the most money in the long run, I suppose, but it's unbelievable how many hours were spent on this and the whole thing was even re-written basically also. Then I thought well I hate to not have it exclusive to me anymore, so in a way it may be worth it to sell it to less people and make less money where it's not as widespread in usage.

I may still lower the price at some point, but not soon. The difference between it and apps similar in scope to tutorials is it has a lot more features packed in than the reviews themselves. That's why I mentioned the possibility of releasing a more basic one with a lot of the features taken out. In that case I would sell it for soemthing like $40.

As far as him getting it to work on hiss ite though I think "most" issues he's having are odd and not going to happen on most sites. Almost every problem he has is link-related and none are reproduced by me thus far. For that issue related to the red coloring I think it's likely about his html formatting in the ACP. Something to do with quotes or no closing tag or something.

*yawn* they really need to only allow purchasers to rate paid files. Two purchases yet six members rated this to get it down to a 1 star rating. Obviously because of price. I wasn't really planning on releasing it at all and people practically begged me to and said that $75 was a fine price. I lowered it even lower than that and as I expected people are complaining. Blah. For the amount of features it has I surely couldnt see it as have been reasonable to go under $50 and mostly went this high for various reasons, one of which is thast I didn't care if only a few purchase. But now that I think about it I probably should have considered sales over hours put in. If judging by hours put in this is worth $50,000+. lol

So far I don't see anything which could cause that. Are you sure you copied the url directly from the board index after that error happened? Usually there would be no way an app could go to the board index unless the url was formed incorrectly. But the url you pasted isn't formed incorrectly as clicking the direct link goes inside the review system.

If it were the review system index page it would have been more likely, but there's not much way of it going to the board index page. It really seems like a lot of weird things are happening on your site so I really wonder if it's some other modification clashing with it.

Do want some ACP or FTP access to diagnose? I can't go live with this until I get it fixed. :whistle:

*yawn* they really need to only allow purchasers to rate paid files. Two purchases yet six members rated this to get it down to a 1 star rating. Obviously because of price. I wasn't really planning on releasing it at all and people practically begged me to and said that $75 was a fine price. I lowered it even lower than that and as I expected people are complaining. Blah. For the amount of features it has I surely couldnt see it as have been reasonable to go under $50 and mostly went this high for various reasons, one of which is thast I didn't care if only a few purchase. But now that I think about it I probably should have considered sales over hours put in. If judging by hours put in this is worth $50,000+. lol

I don't think the price will be an issue, if the product works fine, and is nicely polished. At the moment, I personally think it does need more work, as there are some glaring, important problems:

1) The URL issue I've got

2) Not being able to add a review direct from the product page

3) Not being able to change your currency (this should have been in right from the beginning, or did you only expect to sell the software to Americans?)

4) The ratings system being inconsistent.

Those are the four biggest things which could improve this 100%.

I've also a load of other ideas I'd like to implement if you decide to carry on working with this project, thus meaning you'd have a better product, and more sales :)

As I've said earlier, the basic structure of the product is very good, but I do think you should have done some more testing with people (I sent you many PT's on the subject asking to purchase a pre-release copy so I could help out, as I'm very keen on this project as it has huge potential on my site).

It's only minor things that need addressing, but will make a world of difference :thumbsup:

I don't think more testing would have changed much because thus far I've never reproduced these issues you're having and I don't expect many to run into them. I could be wrong, but my opinion is that it's impossible that anything under my control is giving you url issues. For the app link. For that issue where it's going to an index page I don't know what could be causing that either. It's got to be some setting on your site or server that i didn't think of or know of when coding because anything like this which happens for you, but not on any of my sites means it's not an obvious type of bug.

I actually kind of doubt I'll figure it out by FTP access, but I maybe would. I could print some things out onto the screen and maybe figure out where it's messing up. Or if you know enough about working in the database to just see if any rows were created in other tables for the failed reviews, such as maybe the ratings. That do_add function is really long and not obvious which part would be causing the problem as I did look all through itt oday trying to find a problem.

The ratings system isn't inconsistent as the only thing that's not rated on a scale of 1-10 are a different type of thing. It's rating the authors which is totally different than rating the product. Oh actually you rate the review itself 1-5 too. I forgot aboutt hat. I still say it's different though in my opinion, but I'm going to allow you to do it on 1-5. It just may not be soon though as that's more of a request that takes a little time and then testing it to be sure it's not buggy etc.

I already added in the currency symbol feature now. Like I said this was originally planned only for me, so it's just an oversight that I forgot to change that. I may have actually thought I added it in already because I recently added it in another app.

By the way so have they got other reviews to work for existing products? If it's only certain ones messing up that's even more odd.

Yes, some reviews work for some categories, but not for others. I can't see any difference between how they are created though, all the settings are identical. I can take a look in the database if you can let me know what it is I'll be looking for. What rows should I be looking for?

well you could look in reviews_categories to get the id (the field is called cid) for one of the ones that's messing up and then look in reviews_detailed_ratings and see if any rows have that same id for the catid column. Or if in reviews_tags any rows have the id in the cat_id column.

At least then I would know if it messed up before or after the part that adds those rows. I am assuming it messed up somewhere early on though. Also I may go look on your site just to see if I notice anything odd about one product compared with another. I dunno, I never had anything like this happen.

You know... what I think I'll do as far as rating ranges is always store it in the DB as if it's out of 10. But then when you set your board to 5 I will simply take the number and divide by 2 when displaying and never change it int he DB. That way you can do as many reviews as you want right now and it will be zero problem changing it to the 5 format later on when I add that feature without you needing any DB data changed. And if I do an option of 100 for overall score it would obviously multiply by 10.

Anyway I'm not going to be up much longer, but at some point I'll probably have to have an account on your site to figure this out and maybe need ftp access where I can go through it testing certain things. You probably wouldnt even have to give access to anything until the other/reviews/ folder.

I can't think of any way to test this on my own sites because it's not doing it for all products so who knows what in the world it could be. Look int he ACP and see if any setting at all seems different for it compared with one that works.

Ok, have pinned this bug down for you.

If you leave the "whats it worth" field empty (I've renamed it to "Price Paid") then it dumps you back to the main forum index. If you fill it in, then it works.

I'll ask my other members who are testing this to confirm if they filled out that field or not.

As far as him getting it to work on hiss ite though I think "most" issues he's having are odd and not going to happen on most sites. Almost every problem he has is link-related and none are reproduced by me thus far. For that issue related to the red coloring I think it's likely about his html formatting in the ACP. Something to do with quotes or no closing tag or something.

Well, you can see exactly what I've got in my ACP here:

post-146236-0-49344500-1306733555_thumb.

Pretty sure there's nothing out of the ordinary there?

Another question for you... :D

Where would I skin the "Review History" out? Would it just be in the "look and feel" templates section?

post-146236-0-68589100-1306758226_thumb.

It doesn't serve any useful purpose for my members, and draws your eye away from why they are there, which is to read the review.

And another question :rolleyes: :

Each review is currently spilt over two pages, which, for me, isn't really necessary. How would I put this secondary page information onto the first page? There's very little information on the second page, it's just a "summary" page in a way, which could easily be put onto the first page. Is it a simple template change?

Page 1

post-146236-0-40696900-1306758573_thumb.

Page 2

post-146236-0-15727200-1306758666_thumb.

Good job they did not offer $500 ;)

Personally anything over $25 has to be well written and I am not sure whether this is ready yet for prime time.

Another unfinished product by this 'publisher'. I bought the unfinished, apparently version 5 of the 'Sports Bet App' only to have major security vulnerabilities, and have since removed.

The product was no where near complete - couldn't even delete records.

I can't recommend this author.