Is it possible to add the feature to disallow access to a select forum?

ᴡᴅツ

IP.Board currently can't do the following:

Let's say you have 10 different user groups and each has access to forum X. 2 members are misbehaving in forum X and you want to disallow them access. The only way to do this is to move them to a special group. However, this isn't really economical / feasible / recommended. It can get complicated if more forums are to be restricted. For example, member 1 is disallowed into forum X and forum Y and member 2 is disallowed access to forum Z. The best way to do this is to have selective "forum banning" per member. This would be available after clicking on "edit member"

You do not need to move them to a new group to do this. Forum permissions are based on permission masks, not groups. So you can make a new permission mask that blocks them from accessing the particular forum and apply that to those specific members, while keeping them in the same group.

Granted, you do have to do this in the Admin CP, but I'm just trying to clear up the common misconception that the group you're in controls what forums you access. We have tons of members here in the Active Customers group who access different forums, because they have different permission masks set.

Well I have a solution that doesn't 100% fix the problem, but for what you are doing, it may make it a easier to deal with bannings. My Social Groups application has the ability to set up specific forums which you have be a member of a specific social group in order to see, then with that you also have the ability to ban specific members from these forums. This would give you more "per-member" control over who can view which forums.. I am not sure if it is exactly what you are looking for, but it may work..

Archived