New 3.2 Skinning Support Forum Suggestion

Chito

There's been much talk about the anticipated IP.Board 3.2's upgrade, it's new features, design, etc. My suggestion, however, is for these main support forums. It would be nice (and convenient) if a new support Forum (or sub-forum) section somewhere in the Skinning and Design dedicated mainly for skin support for the new 3.2 version would be added after the upgrade. Since the new skin design will be much different and cleaner than the current 3.1.4 design, it will make it easier for everyone to find skinning support topics for the new version and not get them all mixed up with the old 3.1.4 (and older) support topics. It's no big deal of course, but since this upgrade seems pretty major, I just thought that a fresh new skinning support forum section would be a nice addition to lessen the confusion? Just a thought. :cool:

I did have some thoughts about the skinning forums anyway as we have:

'Skinning and Design', which was brought over from Beyond

'IP.Board Skin Support', which was initially intended for when we had the (old Nexus) Resource site for those who wanted support topics instead of comments on there

Trouble with these two is (despite my efforts a while ago) topics were posted in either although the 'Skin Support' is mostly redundant now as all customer submissions have a support topic generated on approval.

'Blog Themes' is seldom used and 'IP.Content' design although a good idea does not get used that much.

I did have some thoughts about the skinning forums anyway as we have:

'Skinning and Design', which was brought over from Beyond

'IP.Board Skin Support', which was initially intended for when we had the (old Nexus) Resource site for those who wanted support topics instead of comments on there

Trouble with these two is (despite my efforts a while ago) topics were posted in either although the 'Skin Support' is mostly redundant now as all customer submissions have a support topic generated on approval.

'Blog Themes' is seldom used and 'IP.Content' design although a good idea does not get used that much.

.....Soooo you're saying that since people post skin support all over the place, it wouldn't happen? Sorry, Andy, not trying to disrespect at all, I just wasn't quite sure I understood your reply above regarding my suggestion. :blush:

No its fine. :)

I was saying I think the skinning forums do need a bit of reorganisation at some point in the near future, however it is unlikely everyone would post their questions into an appropriate area if it was divided up into versions.

No its fine. :)

I was saying I think the skinning forums do need a bit of reorganisation at some point in the near future, however it is unlikely everyone would post their questions into an appropriate area if it was divided up into versions.

Oh ok, understood. I totally agree with you about the reorganization of the skinning forums, which is why I posted this suggestion in the first place. Maybe if the staff enforced the rule to post skinning support in a particular forum in might work?

Oh ok, understood. I totally agree with you about the reorganization of the skinning forums, which is why I posted this suggestion in the first place. Maybe if the staff enforced the rule to post skinning support in a particular forum in might work?

I tried that :)

See in Skin Support , I created a closed and pinned topic explaining what that forum was intended for (for when we used the old Nexus / Resources site which only had comments) so authors would create topics for their resources in here if they chose to. Although I was moving topics daily from there into Skinning and Design and with my time constraints now have not moved anything lately, simply as it is a skinning forum.

I don't think there is any need to split up skin (or modification) forums by version. It's really not necessary.

Maybe not now, but once 3.2 get's underway, things might get messy and perhaps somewhat confusing.

We've dealt with this sort of thing before when a new point release comes out. It's a little annoying to have to figure out which version they're talking about if they don't specify, but by and large most topics that come out after these larger releases are concerning that new version. So lots of people have questions about the new version, compared to fewer for the old one 9since it's a more mature product), and then eventually nearly all topics are for the newer version.

Keep in mind, we'll have the tagging system with 3.2 that users can use to help identify their topics (perhaps combined with the topic prefix feature of the tagging system).

Yes, I agree this would definitely help some. I completely forgot about the tagging system. Thanks for bringing that point up bfarber.

Archived