(Wolf3x) Restricted Reply Function (source)

Wolfie

%7Boption%7D

File Name: (Wolf3x) Restricted Reply Function (source)

File Submitter: Wolfie

File Submitted: 18 May 2011

File Category: Moderation Tools

Supported Versions: IP.Board 3.3.x, IP.Board 3.4.x

Price has been reduced to $40!!!

Restricted Reply Function
This hook will allow you to specify selected forums in which only certain groups may reply to topics others have started. This will in effect 'override' the setting which allows members of a group to reply to others topics but doesn't limit which forums they may reply in. This is extremely useful in forums where it is imperative that a staff or other qualified/certified member is replying to the original poster, keeping out others who may unintentionally cause confusion or other problems.

Options:
* Enabled (disable feature without having to disable the hook)
* Select which forums are affected.
* Select which 'staff' are exempt - forum moderators, global moderators and/or administrators
* Optionally select additional groups to exempt and if that group must be the members primary group or not. (Sounds confusing but it provides additional options!)

For 34001 (3.4 Beta 01):
Pretty much a complete rewrite of the files to reduce redundant code. As a benefit, a new function is available in the topics class that will return 'true' if the current member cannot reply to a topic they didn't start in a specific forum.

Due to the code rewrite, I'm considering this to be a beta. It's been tested with 3.3 and 3.4 but should also work with 3.2

blair is using it on Geeks to Go for the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal forum.
broni is using it on Bleeping Computer Discussion Forums in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum.
(Please do not register on those sites just to test the hook. If you need to test it, please test it on N*Raged.)

Purchase details:
* You may install this hook on up to five (5) sites that you own. If you own more than 5 sites or need to install on more than 5 sites, please contact me. Unlimited sites that you own. Applies to all purchases of this package/download.
* Once you have made the purchase, you may use the hook indefinitely. Renewals are strictly for support and product updates. If you choose to not renew, you may continue to use the versions you have already downloaded.
* Same as the encoded version except that this is the source to it. Please keep in mind that purchasing this does not entitle you to share, distribute, sell or otherwise make the hook or any part of its contents available to anyone.
* Encoded version of this hook is also included for those who only want the source for security purposes but don't mind using the encoded version on a live site. (Encoded version is located here.)
* Includes "Hide Posts" hook as an additional bonus. Read here for description: Hide Posts. ** Please note the bonus hook is included with this download and does not register you for the other download nor does it guarantee nor entitle the buyer to upgrades of the bonus hook. **

Please click here to read a rough copy of the EULA

here to download this file

Get real man $50 seem people getting very greedy in the marketplace these days.

The encoded one is available for $10. It provides a function that is more useful for those running high end forums and need to place such a restriction. The source is for those who need the function but can't use the encoded version for one reason or another. So it's not the function they're buying, it's the source.

The encoded one is available for $10. It provides a function that is more useful for those running high end forums and need to place such a restriction. The source is for those who need the function but can't use the encoded version for one reason or another. So it's not the function they're buying, it's the source.

Still a lot of money,that will cost me close to $60 CAD if i had to buy it.

Still a lot of money,that will cost me close to $60 CAD if i had to buy it.

The other one is still available for $10. :) Usually those who want/need the unencoded are those who require the source for security purposes. Most people don't fit this category and are able to use the encoded version.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Stupid notifications.. <_<

I have bought and "successfully" uploaded this, but can not find it (I can not find it in the ACP forums section or anywhere) to manage.

Should appear in the System Settings under a tab named "Hooks".

I've updated the hook (source only for now) to work with IPB3.2 and the update should also work with IPB3.1. So if someone decides to buy this and then upgrade to 3.2, they should be able to use it on 3.1 and then upgrade with no issues other than making sure the hook is enabled after upgrading.

I installed the newest version yesterday, which should work in 3.1.4 and 3.2 and people couldn't reply citing this error:

Fatal error: Class 'wolf_editGracePeriod' not found in /home/smartest/public_html/hooks/wolf_restrictedReplyFunction_replySetup_7767dc01efe8463d31114cebf6cb5b48.php on line 8

I'm still with 3.1.4

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, I tried and I had no issues :)

Thanks for the feedback. :) I don't have a lot of activity on my own sites, so it's hard to truly know if it's working or not. As you can imagine, self testing will tend to seemingly work, when in reality it's not the case.

• 7 months later...

hi,

just a stupid question, what is the different

"This is extremely useful in forums where it is imperative that a staff or other qualified/certified member is replying to the original poster"

with

ipb native setting, in members group configuration only moderators or certain group can reply but other members only can create a topic.

thanks

just a stupid question, what is the different

"This is extremely useful in forums where it is imperative that a staff or other qualified/certified member is replying to the original poster"

with

ipb native setting, in members group configuration only moderators or certain group can reply but other members only can create a topic.

This makes it so that only the topic starter can reply. ie, other regular members can't. It can be set to allow admins, supermods or members of selected groups to reply, so in places like a help forum, where you want the topic starter to be able to reply to their topics but not other members, this is does that.

• 5 months later...

Could you PM me with a screenshot of the issue and of your settings?

Symptom: Upon posting a reply with your hook enabled, in a forum where it shouldn't even be active, the user is presented with garbled code as seen in the screenshot. When they refresh the page, it goes back to normal. I couldn't see any PHP Errors that would explain the source of this problem.

'>

'>

Symptom: Upon posting a reply with your hook enabled, in a forum where it shouldn't even be active, the user is presented with garbled code as seen in the screenshot. When they refresh the page, it goes back to normal. I couldn't see any PHP Errors that would explain the source of this problem.

Updated. Since you said you couldn't see any PHP errors, I assume you actually looked at the source and tried to troubleshoot it. You'll be surprised what the fix was (see if you can spot it).

Updated. Since you said you couldn't see any PHP errors, I assume you actually looked at the source and tried to troubleshoot it. You'll be surprised what the fix was (see if you can spot it).

Another Bug: When someone creates a thread, they are unable to reply to it unless they meet an exemption group, even though they are the OP. The description of the hook implies that the OP is always permitted to reply.

'>
'>
'>

Archived