(RSyvarth) Social Groups

rsyvarth

Under settings -> Individual Group Settings

Group Forum DisplaySet how group forums are to be displayed on the forum index.

Hide All - Hide every group forum from the index

Show Mine - Only display the forums for groups of which you are a member

Show All - Show all group forums on the index

Thank you Ian, I've just slapped my forehead of course. :)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A number of my site users have been experiencing problems with Join and Invite buttons not working and some have layout problems since the installation of Social Groups. We've established that it seems to be the dreaded IE6 and IE7 users but is there anything I can do to work around their love of ancient browsers?

mySQL query error: SELECT tid, title, title_seo FROM topics WHERE forum_id=
AND approved=1
AND state <> 'link'
AND last_post < ORDER BY last_post DESC LIMIT 0,1
.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| File | Function | Line No. |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------|
| xxx/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php(3245) : eval()'d code | [ipSeoTopicLinks].getPrevTopicLink | 8 |
'----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------'
|xxx/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php(3245) : eval()'d code | [ipSeoTopicLinks].topicViewTemplate | 89 |
'----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------'
| xxx/applications/forums/modules_public/forums/topics.php | [group_topic_perm].topicViewTemplate | 546 |
| xxx/sources/base/ipsController.php | [public_forums_forums_topics].doExecute | 285 |
'----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-----------------------------

Db errors r back when members try to press read more etc

edit:
and all this goes away when i uninstall or disable the hook to hide the forums created by application

mySQL query error: SELECT tid, title, title_seo FROM topics WHERE forum_id=

AND approved=1

AND state <> 'link'

AND last_post < ORDER BY last_post DESC LIMIT 0,1

.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

| File | Function | Line No. |

|----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------|

| xxx/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php(3245) : eval()'d code | [ipSeoTopicLinks].getPrevTopicLink | 8 |

|xxx/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php(3245) : eval()'d code | [ipSeoTopicLinks].topicViewTemplate | 89 |

| xxx/applications/forums/modules_public/forums/topics.php | [group_topic_perm].topicViewTemplate | 546 |

| xxx/sources/base/ipsController.php | [public_forums_forums_topics].doExecute | 285 |

'----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-----------------------------

Db errors r back when members try to press read more etc

edit:

and all this goes away when i uninstall or disable the hook to hide the forums created by application

can you add this as a new issue in the social groups tracker?
http://demo.beyondforge.com/index.php?/tracker/project-1-social-groups/

Hi Robert

On ACP _> systeM -> manage apps and mod _> it has you add on but for me it says version 1.0.0. Beta - it gives the option for an upgrade but when I click on it is asks for a log in which does not work - is this were we update - as I downloaded your beta versions and just transferred files direct via ftp

Hi Robert

On ACP _> systeM -> manage apps and mod _> it has you add on but for me it says version 1.0.0. Beta - it gives the option for an upgrade but when I click on it is asks for a log in which does not work - is this were we update - as I downloaded your beta versions and just transferred files direct via ftp

you download the latest version, then you upload them to the appropriate folders of the root folder of your board, then you log in to your acp, click on system, then click on manage applictations and modules, then you scroll down until you see the upgrade available next to social group and then you click on it and then ... you are presented with the "upgrader" which asks once again, for the login credentials of your acp which you have to provide, and then you go from there, as it is is so carefully explained under upgrade in the documentation

fixed, uninstalling IP SEO

basically this application is messing with a lot of other app's and hooks

Yea, I saw that, I will be installing IP SEO on my dev board, and see what is conflicting.. I am not sure what is going wrong.

Hi Robert, do you do any freelance work and if so could you email me your rates etc. i.h.chaudhry@gmail.com as I will have 2000 + people on my site and the forum/ group has to work well and as you have gathered I am no techno chap. Please let me know. The offer is open to others who understand how IP Board works also

Iskander

I found another bug; When a user deletes a social group and the administrator has to review it, it isn't possible for the admin to approve the deletion, and it leads to an error.

hmmm, just tested my board for this issue. logged in as a member, went to the group I created, went to Manage Groups, Deletion, and selected the group for deletion. Logged out.

Logged in as the ACP, deleted the group under My Apps - Deletion Requests. It asked me if I really wanted to delete this group. I said yes. Group successfully deleted.

Logged back in to my board as the same member again, went to Groups, and the group I had marked for deletion is gone.

Works fine for me.

hmmm, just tested my board for this issue. logged in as a member, went to the group I created, went to Manage Groups, Deletion, and selected the group for deletion. Logged out.

Logged in as the ACP, deleted the group under My Apps - Deletion Requests. It asked me if I really wanted to delete this group. I said yes. Group successfully deleted.

Logged back in to my board as the same member again, went to Groups, and the group I had marked for deletion is gone.

Works fine for me.

Yeah, I think the reason I got the error was that I already deleted the forum for the group page.

Hey, I just wanted to let you guys know that I have finals for the next two weeks, so I will not be able to do any real work on this app until June 1. If you have an emergency, I will help you out, but I am going to be focusing on studying.

Thanks,
Robert

Yes. I just created a new group and I posted a news topic as well as a forum topic (they are both really the same, topics in a group's forum), and I just clicked on View New Content and the topics are there for all to see.

We also use Headstand Consulting's Super News Feed on our portal and the topics appear there as well.

Readers have been reporting all sorts of variations on whether new posts and topics do show up in View New Content. It seems as though new topics and posts do not appear unless the reader has visited the relevant Group during their browsing session. It doesn't even seem limited to Groups they've joined.

It's quite confusing and ideally I'd like all new posts and topics to appear in View New Content as with any other forum topic or post.

Can anyone advise please?

That is the way it is setup currently unfortunately. In order to avoid setting up individual permission masks and user groups for each Social Group I setup a system where the group's forums are password protected and if you have permission to view the forum according to the group, the system will "log you in" to the group's forum automatically. That is why the view new content depends on their cookies being set. Now what I plan to do is set up a hook that will set all of the cookies for all of the groups which they have permission to view when they view the site's index so they will be able to use view new content and other similar features according to their ability to view topics in each group's forum.

Anyways, it is a little bit more complex than what it seems to be on the surface which is why I don't quite know how to tackle this yet. For many groups you will be able to view topic's within the group without actually being a member of that group, so do topics in those groups show up in VNC? or should they only show up when you can actually read the topics? I think either way it may cause confusion, but I think it would probably be better to only show topics you can read..

Anyways, as I said before, VNC is semi-functional currently do to these obstacles, but I will focus on making it more reliable soon.

For many groups you will be able to view topic's within the group without actually being a member of that group, so do topics in those groups show up in VNC? or should they only show up when you can actually read the topics? I think either way it may cause confusion, but I think it would probably be better to only show topics you can read..

Thanks, I'm using the Groups as a means of grouping niche interests and the permissions are set to Read Topics and Use Forum for Non-members and Members of the Group as all readers may wish to be able to read all of the niche Groups and even respond to topics without necessarily joining (although there is another issue with a lot of IE users not being able to use the Join button successfully).

The topics will only display in the VNC if the reader has visited that Group or topic and only within that cookie session. We have an average of around 700+ posts per day so many readers just use VNC to keep pace with what's happening around the different areas of the board and a number are complaining they're missing posts.

I appreciate different people will have different needs but for me if the permissions are set for members to read and use a forum without joining I would like all of the Groups with such permissions to display in VNC.

You may ask why use Social Groups anyway in this context above normal categories or Forums but it does give increased control and communication within those areas and has been generally really well received.

I'd just love to see the content consistently appearing in VNC.

Many thanks,

Archived