(RSyvarth) Social Groups

rsyvarth

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. I plan to integrate this with Blogs, Gallery, and Downloads (or maybe I will make my own download thing..) in the future. I just wanted to get the core code base out there so it can get tested and I can improve the rest of the system. I can see Tracker being cool too, you could have news, and team members and what not. That would be a very cool use for this system. Good idea.

Hi,

One small template issue

post-146868-0-94547900-1305753234_thumb.

Essentially the advert code in the footer does not stretch 100% and is contained within the forum section only of the group and not spread between the forum and sidebar.

I have checked this in both my own skin and the default skin.

This is code from within nexus so is fairy standard in location.

Hi Robert

I have checked the permission settings for both banners and news and I can not still add either. My forum is called forum.the-network.org.uk

we are due to go live this weekend and I really need both to work. Any chance you could look at this for me? I am not sure why both are not working - for news it seems a display issue as it says I am on the second page when I have no news! You could just quickly sign up and try setting up a group (there are two tab click on the first).

Finally, I understand inviting people to a group may need to be done individually, however, what about messaging in a group so it goes to there emails - I really need this function - does the system do this.

Hope you can help

Iskander

1. Make sure you are running the latest version (You are not currently).
2. You need to make sure that the permissions on the /upload/groups/ folder are set to 777. That is what is causing the logo issue.
3. I am not sure what is going on with the news in your group.. try making a new group, it seems to be working fine in the test group I just made.

For the messaging the group... click on the Group Messaging Tools and you will be able to send a message to all of the members to the group. This should also send a email to most the members.

EDIT: @Ian, I will look into that.

Just a quick note as a vote of confidence in this product. Installed today with no problems; everything's working well and the membership (apart from the usual groaners)love it. I look forward to future developments and could see a definite usage for Group Galleries at some point.

Extremely pleased!

Can I request a feature to subscribe a usergroup to a group and when they get demoted it removed them from the group?

As I have said with people before, it is definitely possible that a feature like this will come into the app, but it is all relative to demand for it. I am going to go with the most requested features to ensure the app doesn't bloat too much. I probably will also write many of the "non-core" features as hooks / addons that do not come installed by default to keep the app light.

Thank you all for the positive feedback! I am glad you all like it. It is nice to know that all of the hard hours of work I put into this app have been worth it. Keep me updated on how the system works for you / any changes I may need to make in the next version. Starting in the next release, Release Candidate 1 (RC1), I will be moving beyond bugs and start focusing on feature requests.

Sounds good, I had a teams add on in 2.3 and was nothing like this which is what I was looking for. You deserve every penny for your efforts.

I am having problems locating how to add a group to the Featured Groups, the doc says I do it from the acp but there is no add option.

Open ACP -> My Apps -> Social Groups

By default, the app opens with your groups list. Identify the group you want to feature under Manage Groups ... look to the right to the pencil/dropdown menu arrow. Click on the arrow and click on 'Feature Group.'

Done.

Group Featured!

Yes. I plan to integrate this with Blogs, Gallery, and Downloads (or maybe I will make my own download thing..) in the future. I just wanted to get the core code base out there so it can get tested and I can improve the rest of the system. I can see Tracker being cool too, you could have news, and team members and what not. That would be a very cool use for this system. Good idea.

Glad to hear it :)
I'll purchase this for sure :)

Sounds good, I had a teams add on in 2.3 and was nothing like this which is what I was looking for. You deserve every penny for your efforts.

I am having problems locating how to add a group to the Featured Groups, the doc says I do it from the acp but there is no add option.

View the groups in the ACP, click the drop down list next to the pencil and "add to favorite" (This is off the top of my head) But the option is there :)

Hi Robert

Thanks for your points and visiting my site!

I do not understand: You need to make sure that the permissions on the /upload/groups/ folder are set to 777.

How do I do this.

Also when I click on join a group nothing happens - can you let me know what should happen and if it is a setting problem

If it is a private group does it affect adding news?

Finally the code to add attachments to the news item - is that complicated as I would like to use it else where

Many thanks

Iskander

I do not understand: You need to make sure that the permissions on the /upload/groups/ folder are set to 777.

Dude, you need to get a basic book on website hosting and/or read some web articles about the basics of creating a website. Your comment is akin to driving a car and not understanding the function of a stop sign.

Hi Robert

Thanks for your points and visiting my site!

How do I do this.

Also when I click on join a group nothing happens - can you let me know what should happen and if it is a setting problem

If it is a private group does it affect adding news?

Finally the code to add attachments to the news item - is that complicated as I would like to use it else where

Many thanks

Iskander

It appears that you have some server configuration issues. I will send you a PM so we can resolve these issues since it isn't strictly an issue with the application.

As for adding attachments, you can always attach the file to the topic which the news article is in.

Hey -

I wanted to play with the layout of the group index page and the individual group main page. Are there a lot of css codes to change to adjust the widths of:

the group index page,

• left section
  • right column

and theindividual group main page,
  • left column
  • middle column
  • right column?

Thanks,

Brian

A lot of the styling is currently in inline CSS, so it wouldn't be too difficult, but it would just be a little bit clumsy since you have to do it in the skin, instead of the CSS file.

I plan to clean up the templating soon (its on the to-do list), but it is possible to change those widths, yes.

Is it possible to configure or adapt the App to display all Public Groups on the Forum Index page? The current default is that only Groups joined are visible on the Forum Index, the whole list of Groups can currently only be found by those using the Social Groups tab at the top of the page.

Is it possible to configure or adapt the App to display all Public Groups on the Forum Index page? The current default is that only Groups joined are visible on the Forum Index, the whole list of Groups can currently only be found by those using the Social Groups tab at the top of the page.

Under settings -> Individual Group Settings

Group Forum DisplaySet how group forums are to be displayed on the forum index.

Hide All - Hide every group forum from the index
Show Mine - Only display the forums for groups of which you are a member
Show All - Show all group forums on the index

Hi Robert

Can you please send me a PM asap so i can sort out the server configuration issues. Many thanks

Iskander

BTW my email address is i.h.chaudhry@gmail.com so it may be easier for you to email me direct

Iskander

What time zone are you in? Do you realize your post is arriving at 3:15 am Central Standard Time ....?

Hi Robert

Can you please send me a PM asap so i can sort out the server configuration issues. Many thanks

Iskander

Just a thought - if you are unable to use your FTP client (the software used to upload the files for this app) to alter the permissions on a forum, which is what changing it to 777 is, perhaps contact your host.

http://tr1x.com/how-to-change-folder-permissions-on-web-server.html is one tutorial however to do it.

You may also be able to do it via your control panel for your host.

Hi Robert

Iskander

BTW my email address is i.h.chaudhry@gmail.com so it may be easier for you to email me direct

Iskander

I also suggest you contacting your host if you do not know how to change CHMOd on your files.
Also remember that alot of hosts use security features that does not allow for 777 setting and you need a 755 for it to work.

Your host can tell you more :)

That could potentially be a setting, although, I could very easily give you a file edit to do the same thing if you'd like.

Hi Robert

Iskander

Iskander

I already sent you PM... I sent it right when I posted that message about me moving your support into a PM, since it is indeed server configuration issues, not issues with the application itself. (Thanks to everyone who explained to him how folder permissions work!)

Archived