Community

rsyvarth

(RSyvarth) Social Groups

Hi all,

I am in the middle of final exams for school right now so I haven't had much of a chance to assess how social groups will fit into IPB 4. I plan to look over it and give a more complete assessment before christmas on if I will be able to port Social Groups to IPB 4, what it might look like, and my general involvement in this application moving forward. I obviously haven't been able to keep up with it lately which I regret and I don't want to move it to IPB 4 if I won't be able to support it properly.

Thanks for your patience, 

Robert

Hi all,

I am in the middle of final exams for school right now so I haven't had much of a chance to assess how social groups will fit into IPB 4. I plan to look over it and give a more complete assessment before christmas on if I will be able to port Social Groups to IPB 4, what it might look like, and my general involvement in this application moving forward. I obviously haven't been able to keep up with it lately which I regret and I don't want to move it to IPB 4 if I won't be able to support it properly.

Thanks for your patience, 

Robert

@rsyvarth - ​Just curious if you've made a decision on this yet? :)

Edited by PrettyPixels

Here we go for some ideas I have worked...

groups shared 
"photos" pull from IPB to groups.
"downloads" pull from IPB to groups.
"chat room" just for the members
"bookmarks"
"questions and answers"
"polls"
"classifieds"
"events"

@rsyvarth - ​Just curious if you've made a decision on this yet? :)

​I second this query. Have you had a chance to evaluate Social Groups for v4 of the forum yet? If so, I'll be moving my license to a new site (initially on 3.4.7). Whether I put it in there and keep paying the renewal fee depends entirely on the projected future of Social Groups. It'll probably be at least a month or 3 before I go live with a new installation, so no big rush, but it would be nice to be able to count on it if that's possible. Even if you opt to find someone to take it off your hands. It's a pretty useful component for IP.Board, for those who find value in it. Thanks!

As of this week I have started looking into what an update to 4.0 would look like. I am just in the feature planning stage currently but I'll start posting updates once I get into development.  From what I have seen thus far all of the "tricks" I used on forums in order to make them private in IPB3 should still be possible (maybe even easier now) so there doesn't seem to be any technical issues preventing the upgrade. In fact some of the changes might make it possible for private calendars and galleries to be created as well although it is still early so don't count on it just yet. I'll get a dev site up as soon as I have something to show so you guys can see how things are progressing (probably 2 weeks or so). 

I have a minor issue that may have been mentioned before (I went thru many many pages in this thread and didn;t see it)

Anyway, just installed this and on my mobile skin the unread icon on the board index is showing on all forums and I can't it to show the read icon. I uninstalled the app and the problem went away. 

Would you have a fix for this?

Hi!

I'm interested in a solution as yours to integrate groups/clans in my IP.B forum, but firstly i'd like to know if the groups that you've used to have this feature are the IP.Board's Groups which are in the box when you install IP.Board or you made a new data structure for the social grups at database level.

Regards

Hey all. We've been testing this app on our Invision community and thus far it seems to be working well, except we are running into the Mass PM issue. Was there any resolution regarding, beyond the 2.0.5 release? Would love to move forward with it but the Mass PM/HTML issue would definitely prevent. Happy to hear it's in development for 4.0 as well.

We seem to have stumbled upon a strange bug with groups 2.0.5 on 3.4.7

Posting news ("Add News") to the group results in the repost of an existing topic.

This may or may not be related to the issue with Tags earlier in this topic.

The news feature is somewhat broken. Apparently It can only be used to promote the latest topic to a news feature.

I ran into an issue. I have the latest version for addon and IPS. 

I cannot move blocks around on edit page? My cursor changes, but nothing happened. Tried Re caching everything, still nothing.

As of this week I have started looking into what an update to 4.0 would look like.... I'll get a dev site up as soon as I have something to show so you guys can see how things are progressing (probably 2 weeks or so). 

​Any updates on 4.0 version?

I did not purchase this AddOn yet, but I have a question.

I am currently converting from vBulletin 4.2 When I understand right, this AddOn supports a conversion tool? How does that work? I did not find something about conversion from vBulletin in the documentation section.

2 questions...

1. Is there a way to keep any Social Groups from showing up on Content Spy?   

2. Is there a way to limit posting "Add News" to just the admin or moderators of the group?

I have searched but cannot seem to locate an answer :

is there any way to :

Merge social groups

&

Move contents from a social group to a main forum ? (or vice versa ?)

Given that the developer has not :

Updated this app since March 2014

Has not replied to pm's re it.

Has not participated in this thread since January

And was online only a few days ago.

We can safely assume this is a dead app - as such anyone have any insights on how to migrate away from it ??

I didn't feel it was my place to reveal this but since you asked...

After I asked him, the developer notified me by PM about a month ago that he does not intend to port this app to 4.0, and will not be further developing the app. This came as no surprise to me, but it is still unfortunate.

The good news is that Social Groups works just fine for me under 3.4.8, and our site will continue to use it until we fully migrate to 4.0 and the Group Collaborations app. I have just started working with this app, but I am very comfortable with its functionality and impressed with its quality.. It also includes a full Social Groups migration utility!

I don't think there are any alternatives to Social Groups for IPB 3.x.

Edited by wohali

I'll say that he told me he intends to pull the app from the marketplace in the very near future. Recommend you download and keep a copy of the plugin now before it's gone forever.