(RSyvarth) Social Groups

rsyvarth

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! I am glad you guys like it.

Luckily 3.2 will not be too much of a major backend change, so I should be able to make it compatible within a few days of the first Beta. Most of the changes will probably have to be visual to adapt to the new skinning style.

I haven't really gotten to thinking too much about SEO yet, I have been really busy with functionalities, right now its limited / none (it has FURLs?). I will look into many new features / options in the future, and SEO will defiantly be a part of that. I am not sure to what extent it will be, I guess it depends on whether you guys would prefer more functionality sooner, or SEO sooner..

Is there a way on a forum/topic view to indicate that it is in a group?

We would like to hide adverts in the group forum topic view (due to the right column it is making it messy with ads), and so need to figure out the code to do that.

Essentially we just need to wrap the advert code in some code to hide it when a group is being shown.

Thanks.

Hi Robert

Great App

Unclear about some of the settings. In your document you say:

Next you will need to edit the Create Group and Join Group permission settings. To do this you will simply need to select which User Groups you wish to grant permissions to perform certain tasks within the application.

After you have configured all three of these settings you can save your changes by pressing the Update Settings button or you can continue to configure the rest of the settings in this section.

I could not change the permissions for these - how do I do this?

Iskander

Hi Robert

In your document you say

To add a moderator you will need to navigate to My Apps->Social Groups->Settings->Forum Permissions in your ACP. From there you will need to press the Add Moderator button. This will bring up a form where you can either select a User Group or a Member to add as a Global Moderator from here.

You will need to repeat this process until you have configured all of the Global Moderators which you wish to have in this application.

I could not see the add a moderator button :(

Iskander

The Add Moderator button can seem out of the way. Look in the upper right corner of your screen.

I didn't immediately see it the first time either.

so open ACP -> My Apps -> Social Groups:

along the left column, look for the word Moderator and click on it.

Look for the add moderator button in the upper right part of the screen.

Follow the prompts and save and you now have a global moderator.

After you have configured all three of these settings you can save your changes by pressing the Update Settings button or you can continue to configure the rest of the settings in this section.

I could not change the permissions for these - how do I do this?

Open ACP -> My Apps -> Social Groups

along the left column, under the word settings, click on the word 'Global.'

Go through the settings offered. The last section is called Group Permissions.

The first Group Permission is Create Group. Using your control key depressed, click on each of the user groups that you want selected. Repeat for the second Group Permission which is Join Group. Do the same thing.

Directly below that is a button that is labeled "Update Settings"

Click on it.

Uploading the banner

To add a banner, you must first ensure that your settings in the ACP are enabled.

Open the ACP -> My Apps -> Social Groups.

Look along the left column for the word Settings. Below that, click on the word that says 'Individual Group.'

Check all the settings. For the banner, ensure that in the Group Management section, Allow Banners is checked 'Yes.'

Close out of the ACP.

Go to your Groups home page on the board. Click on a group. Along the right sidebar under Group Navigation, you will see Manage Group. Click on it. Look for the sub heading that says 'Change Banner.' Click on it. Follow the instructions provided under Edit Banner by browsing and clicking on an image from your desktop. Then scroll down and click the button that says "Edit Group."

adding a news item

First, you need to ensure you have permissions enabled for adding a news item. To check that, click on the group on the front end, and in the right sidebar that says "Group Navigation" look for the heading that says Add News. If it isn't there, you can't add a news item. If it is there, click on it, fill in a title, and an optional description, and then in the text block, type the text of your news item.

Click the button that says 'Add News.'

If the system won't let you do that , you need to check the Forum permissions in the ACP. To do that, open the ACP -> My Apps -> Social Groups.

Along the left column, look for the word settings and under that, click on the subheading that says 'Forum Permissions.' Ensure that the Admin Forum Set and the Member Forum set boxes are checked under the column that says 'Create Topics.' Then click on the button at the bottom that says "Save Permissions"

Now go back to the front end and repeat the process of adding a news item.

Hi Robert

Is it possible to mass invite people to a group as it only allows on person at a time at the moment

Iskander

If you click on a group on the front end, and look in the right sidebar that says 'Group Navigation' and click on the word Manage Groups, you will see a series of sub headings. Look for the words 'Invite History' and click on it. If you read the advisory that says "Using Group Invites" it will explain that only one person, by design, can be sent an invite, and the reasons why.

@Iskander, it looks likes Surferboy has answered all of your questions (Thanks!), let me know if you are still having troubles.

Is there a way on a forum/topic view to indicate that it is in a group?

We would like to hide adverts in the group forum topic view (due to the right column it is making it messy with ads), and so need to figure out the code to do that.

Essentially we just need to wrap the advert code in some code to hide it when a group is being shown.

Thanks.

Yea, there is a hook called on forums which determine whether or not it is a group forum. I am guessing the easiest way for you to hide it would be with CSS, go to your skin > skin_groups > groupForumSidebar and there you should be able to add a line of css like "#ad{ display:none; }". Of course you will need to use an actual selector which will work for the ad, but I think you get the idea. I hope that helps, let me know if you need more specific instructions.

When trying to view the RSS feeds I am given the error of

[#31G100] No group Member ID passed

Can you give me the link you are using for the RSS feed? (PM if you must)

Hmm thought of another great idea. Not sure how hard this would be to do.

You know the feature ajax box in the groups area? Create a hook that would allow that same section to display on the main index page. (Top of the index page) Would be a great way to advertise the groups area.

I could potentially include a hook like that pretty easily, if enough people want it that is. It would mostly just be copying code from one place to another.

Let me know what you guys think about a hook like that, would you use it?

Hmm thought of another great idea. Not sure how hard this would be to do.

You know the feature ajax box in the groups area? Create a hook that would allow that same section to display on the main index page. (Top of the index page) Would be a great way to advertise the groups area.

What would be useful is a box for links, adverts etc. on the sidebar, so that the group admin could add some code in there to display items for their group.

I am not quite sure I get what you mean by that.. a sidebar on the group page? Like below the navigation?

Yes below 'my navigation'

As the forum gains posts it is a large blank area and could be used by the group admin for any html code.

Archived