Community

rsyvarth

(RSyvarth) Social Groups

Whoah, no, don't follow Ben's advice. The reason why is the forum structure created by a group is done within the machinations of the social groups code, and the accompanying permissions. To understand what I'm talking about, go in to the ACP, go to Systems, click on Forums, and look at one of the existing forums in your social groups. You'll see the security code that is generated there.

It is a ways back but others have asked the same question in this support topic.

Just create a new forum in the social group, then mass move all your topics (not the original forum) from the old forum to the new forum. If you are concerned about people landing or visiting the old forum and not seeing anything, you can create a new topic there and instantly make it a redirect.

Many thanks :) I thought what you are suggesting would work, but thought that it was just possible I could just change the forum parent... I'm glad I posted!

Ben, thank you also for your reply. You don't sound too sure if a simple change of parent would work, and I don't want to risk screwing it up. Better safe than sorry :) The issue I could see is not that a forum couldn't be moved by changing the parent, but that the group that owns the forum isn't set (unless I missed a place to edit that).

Surferboy, the code you're referring to is the forum password I believe. That password is transferred over when you change the forum parent. I believe it's a seamless process. Or am I wrong here? Team support is better than no support. whoaa! lol

I thought of that way to on transferring over the forum topics, but if you have topics that archived they will not transfer over. Two ways to skin the cat I believe.

Ben

Yo Ben,

The Whoaa expression is meant to say, "don't touch that pan - it's hot!!!" and not a slam against you. Robert posted about the reason you can't transfer forums into social groups many pages back in this support topic. The password that you describe is not really a password but a permissions thing.

I just wanted Songstuff to use the more prudent approach else he/she risk totally crashing social groups.

Brian

The issue I could see is not that a forum couldn't be moved by changing the parent, but that the group that owns the forum isn't set (unless I missed a place to edit that).

yeah, I think that's it

I am sorry. I really am doing my best.

Robert - it's now a week since I posted here about the problem with broken links. 3 days since I emailed (without being asked) an admin login for the site and I'm no further forward. Do you have any further suggestions as to any possible course of action to diagnose and resolve the problem ??

Yo Ben,

The Whoaa expression is meant to say, "don't touch that pan - it's hot!!!" and not a slam against you. Robert posted about the reason you can't transfer forums into social groups many pages back in this support topic. The password that you describe is not really a password but a permissions thing.

I just wanted Songstuff to use the more prudent approach else he/she risk totally crashing social groups.

Brian

Brian,

lol..no offense taken! Whoaa in the Army means Who Us? A motivational word we use. Seem to work for me.

Ben

Actually no, hiding did not work right, I've tried to restructure the system and now cannot view group members or control panels, I get :

IP.Board Message

The page which you have requested does not exist.

this was... fun.

note to others... if you select specific add-ons for a category, *always* ensure you select 'Core'.

rsy, my thought is that addon(Core) shouldn't be presented there, and should be hard-coded on, what he did was simply select only 'Navigation' as the enabled addon's for his only category, at which point the GroupCP in whole promptly freaked...

traced the code down to public_groups_view_manage->getManageSection before I realized the issue, quick cat reconfigure resolved it.

Is there any temporary file fix that could be used to resolve the PM issues and the text editor issue? We have some community members who are considering using the social groups and they plan to test the feature this month. As soon as they see the totally screwed up PM's and experience the text editing problems, they will problem say no.

This issue is driving people away from our community.

Using ipb 3.3.4 and social groups 2.0

Is there any temporary file fix that could be used to resolve the PM issues and the text editor issue? We have some community members who are considering using the social groups and they plan to test the feature this month. As soon as they see the totally screwed up PM's and experience the text editing problems, they will problem say no.

This issue is driving people away from our community.

Using ipb 3.3.4 and social groups 2.0

I just tested sending a PM using Social Groups 2.0.2 on IPB 3.3.4 and it seems to be working fine.

NOTE TO ALL CLIENTS:

Ok, I know it has been awhile since I have responded here but I have a few days with time now so if you could all please let me know what issues you still need help with I will be glad to help you. I just have a ton of messages piled up and I don't want to spend time responding to issues that have already been resolved. If you still have an open issue please either respond here letting me know that you need help or send me a PM. I will be going through all of the messages that I receive over the next few days and will release a version 2.0.3 containing all of the fixes.

Thank you for your patience.

Robert

I just tested sending a PM using Social Groups 2.0.2 on IPB 3.3.4 and it seems to be working fine.

NOTE TO ALL CLIENTS:

Ok, I know it has been awhile since I have responded here but I have a few days with time now so if you could all please let me know what issues you still need help with I will be glad to help you. I just have a ton of messages piled up and I don't want to spend time responding to issues that have already been resolved. If you still have an open issue please either respond here letting me know that you need help or send me a PM. I will be going through all of the messages that I receive over the next few days and will release a version 2.0.3 containing all of the fixes.

Thank you for your patience.

Robert

BUG:

One particular member (so far), is reporting a WSOD when they click on their invite link, the following error gets recorded in the PHP log:

PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function description_output() on a non-object in ###/public_html/admin/applications_addon/other/groups/addons/official/core/blocks/description.php on line 40

tried another mass message using our test group. only two members in the group. Message sent at 11:33 am. Current time check: 1:40 pm.

Message status: in queue

here is a printscreen of the system scheduler for social groups:

I would like the Social Group to display in someone's Profile and Avatar, rather than their (user)Group.

I would like the Social Group to display in someone's Profile and Avatar, rather than their (user)Group.

Huh? Social Groups is a profile tab in the user profile. But I don't think that's what you mean. Your wording is not at all clear what part of the Social Group you want to display "in?" a person's avatar? How could you do that? The avatar is an uploaded image so how would you display a social group in the avatar?

Maybe you can clarify?

To be more clear, I've mentioned the author block that displays the user's username, avatar, member group, location, and whatever other custom profile fields you let express. I would rather have the Social Group displayed than the member group. I would also like the Community Stats to display the Social Group rather than the Member Group inside of their Profile.

I'm wondering if this is possible without me editing the css and/or templates.

On another note, is there a way to move multiple people into one Social Group at a time, or plans to make it so?

Also, how do you delete an invite you've sent out to someone to join a specific Social Group?

Hey rsyvarth

I may have found a bug while sorting out my issues after converting.

If you look at the permMask.php and in particular the checkPerm function, I noticed something;

Around line 113 you will find:

$this->member =& $this->registry->groupLib->getMember( $this->group['g_id'], $member['member_id'] );

But after that, you have functions like:

if( $member['is_owner'] ){
			return true;
		}

If member data is stored and returned to the $this->member, but you call $member which doesn't contain the array of data, the permissions won't recognize that the user is an owner because the 'is_owner' is not necessarily in the $member variable.

thoughts?

John

BUG:

One particular member (so far), is reporting a WSOD when they click on their invite link, the following error gets recorded in the PHP log:

PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function description_output() on a non-object in ###/public_html/admin/applications_addon/other/groups/addons/official/core/blocks/description.php on line 40

Have you tried recaching all of your skins, it seems like one of the templates is missing from your skin?

To be more clear, I've mentioned the author block that displays the user's username, avatar, member group, location, and whatever other custom profile fields you let express. I would rather have the Social Group displayed than the member group. I would also like the Community Stats to display the Social Group rather than the Member Group inside of their Profile.

I'm wondering if this is possible without me editing the css and/or templates.

On another note, is there a way to move multiple people into one Social Group at a time, or plans to make it so?

Also, how do you delete an invite you've sent out to someone to join a specific Social Group?

1. There is no way to do what you are asking without modifying some code / getting someone to write you a hook. There is a hook included in the app under the folder "Extra" that adds the groups that a member is in to their user info pane (The thing to the left of your posts, pms, etc)

2. There is no easy (user friendly) way to move multiple people into a social group at once, although if you are familiar with mysql it is a rather simple query to execute.

3. You cannot delete an invite once it has been sent currently

Hey rsyvarth

I may have found a bug while sorting out my issues after converting.

If you look at the permMask.php and in particular the checkPerm function, I noticed something;

Around line 113 you will find:

$this->member =& $this->registry->groupLib->getMember( $this->group['g_id'], $member['member_id'] );

But after that, you have functions like:

if( $member['is_owner'] ){
			return true;
		}

If member data is stored and returned to the $this->member, but you call $member which doesn't contain the array of data, the permissions won't recognize that the user is an owner because the 'is_owner' is not necessarily in the $member variable.

thoughts?

John

Yea, thanks for pointing that out, looks like I forgot to change that, surprised that it hasn't caused issues. I guess there are other tools in place preventing group owners from locking themselves out of their groups.

What about the big red Box on Top of the file download page? Do i have a problem if i update to this version?

Someone reported the file as broken because there is an issue in Mass PM on IPB 3.3.4. You should be fine to download it, there are just a few bugs.

Latest version of IPB is 3.4.3 not 3.3.4, it just amazes me how people report the file as broken when they just need to upgrade to the latest IPB version!?! I purchased this mod last week and I think you are doing a great job, keeping up on updates recently!!!

To you guys trying to use recent mods on old versions of software, wake up to the real world!!! :)