(RSyvarth) Social Groups

rsyvarth

Small bug report:

Personally I use port 3 to host my board(I am odd :P ). If I initially try to open a forum that is used by the group application than it will redirect me to http://example.com/?/forum/test-67/ instead of http://example.com:3/forum/test-67

Hello, we run this mod on our site - and it seems we have an issue now (which wasn't present before - but seems to have just appeared). I'm not sure when this started, as we only recently started receiving complaints - but I don't believe we've made any changes. When trying to join a public group, we're presented with this message: Invalid Link: The security key for this page is invalid

Any ideas as to where we should start looking?

Small bug report:

Personally I use port 3 to host my board(I am odd :tongue: ). If I initially try to open a forum that is used by the group application than it will redirect me to

http://example.com/?/forum/test-67/

instead of

http://example.com:3/forum/test-67

That is odd.. is this the link on the sidebar of the group page like the one found on here? I will mark a bug for the next version of the app.

Hello, we run this mod on our site - and it seems we have an issue now (which wasn't present before - but seems to have just appeared). I'm not sure when this started, as we only recently started receiving complaints - but I don't believe we've made any changes. When trying to join a public group, we're presented with this message: Invalid Link: The security key for this page is invalid

I am not entirely sure what is going on there. I would have to look at your specific site to see why the values are not matching up like they should..

That is odd.. is this the link on the sidebar of the group page like the one found on

here

? I will mark a bug for the next version of the app.

I am not entirely sure what is going on there. I would have to look at your specific site to see why the values are not matching up like they should..

@Ken S.: This sounds similar to the cache issue that I encountered when another part of our ipb board was resynchronized. Here is what I did to fix it: as the super admin, log in to the public side of the board, go to the social groups area, and form a new, test group. Now, either contact some of your members or log in as one of your other members, not as the super admin, and see if the problem still exists. Robert designed the social groups app with a cache for groups to minimize the amount of db queries. Bear in mind, the cache we are talking about here is at your board installation, and not your local computer.

@JKadin: those features already exist. have a look in the acp -> my apps -> social groups -> settings: global -> scroll down to the main header 'Group Permissions' and you can enable only super admins to have permission to create groups ... so that's the second half of your question.

As far as the first half of your question, again, have a look in the acp -> members -> Member Groups: manage user groups -> click on the drop down arrow on the far right for that group -> edit group -> click on the tab that says 'social groups' and you'll see the settings for number of groups people can create ... if you want to do this site, all you have to do is edit each of the group settings in the member group to the same number ... and you have essentially done it site wide

now, what if you have an insanely large number of member groups? ugghhhh well, maybe a feature suggestion?

@JKadin: those features already exist. have a look in the acp -> my apps -> social groups -> settings: global -> scroll down to the main header 'Group Permissions' and you can enable only super admins to have permission to create groups ... so that's the second half of your question.

As far as the first half of your question, again, have a look in the acp -> members -> Member Groups: manage user groups -> click on the drop down arrow on the far right for that group -> edit group -> click on the tab that says 'social groups' and you'll see the settings for number of groups people can create ... if you want to do this site, all you have to do is edit each of the group settings in the member group to the same number ... and you have essentially done it site wide

now, what if you have an insanely large number of member groups? ugghhhh well, maybe a feature suggestion?

Thank you :)

bought it without the answer ;P

so far really liking it.. had some install errors but luckily I had read all the posts here so I was able to walk myself through it all.

Do have one question though. The forums are being created under a category I made specially for the groups but neither the category nor the groups are showing on the board - I have checked all the permissions and made it public and open just to see and still they dont show - but in the admin panel under forums there they are - any thoughts?

follow up- ok and the group I made I can not get to the discussion section
"[#103139] You do not have permission to view this forum."

could have sworn I had read in this thread somewhere hot to resolve this but for life of me cant find it.

Was considering purchasing but noticed the reference to 1.2.5 coming soon - should I wait for that version? Or perhaps the better question is how soon will it be coming out? and if I purchase 1.2.4 is it easy to upgrade to the latest?

Thanks!

Yes, you can upgrade to the new version easily once it is released.

bought it without the answer ;P

so far really liking it.. had some install errors but luckily I had read all the posts here so I was able to walk myself through it all.

Do have one question though. The forums are being created under a category I made specially for the groups but neither the category nor the groups are showing on the board - I have checked all the permissions and made it public and open just to see and still they dont show - but in the admin panel under forums there they are - any thoughts?

follow up- ok and the group I made I can not get to the discussion section

"[#103139] You do not have permission to view this forum."

could have sworn I had read in this thread somewhere hot to resolve this but for life of me cant find it.

You need to make sure that your forum permissions are set up correctly. You may want to read through the "Getting Started" section of the documentation if you haven't done so yet. Specifically for your issue you will need to go to ACP -> Social Groups -> Settings -> Forum Permissions and make sure that you fill out that permission grid correctly. In the current version these changes will not apply to groups you already have created so you will have to delete all of your current groups to get the settings to apply. I realized that this is not a good system so I have added an option in 1.2.5 which will allow you to apply the changes in the permission grid to all current and future groups.

I hope that helps!

I think i found a bug regarding the group forum name. The forum name is always updated to group name the when i.e. updating the banner of a group. This might be okay if the forum name always is the same to the group forum name, but in my case the forum name is different and the changing is not nice.

I have to remove this code in the adminapplications_addonothergroupsmodules_publicviewmanage.php (line 817):

$this->DB->update( 'forums', array(

'name' => $group['g_name'],

'name_seo' => IPSText::makeSeoTitle($group['g_name'])

), 'id = '. $this->group['g_forum']

);

What is the sense of this update here?

I think i found a bug regarding the group forum name. The forum name is always updated to group name the when i.e. updating the banner of a group. This might be okay if the forum name always is the same to the group forum name, but in my case the forum name is different and the changing is not nice.

I have to remove this code in the adminapplications_addonothergroupsmodules_publicviewmanage.php (line 817):

$this->DB->update( 'forums', array(

'name' => $group['g_name'],

'name_seo' => IPSText::makeSeoTitle($group['g_name'])

), 'id = '. $this->group['g_forum']

);

What is the sense of this update here?

This isn't a bug, the forum names are intended to be updated along with the name of the group so that they are always the same. The reason why the forum name is being updated when you upload a new banner is because I combined the two functions while I was creating the app (because it was easier at the time) but it is starting to become a pain so I will separate them out into different functions soon, you probably won't notice the difference unless you are going through the source though. So the reason why that update is in there is for when you edit the group name, it just happens to run again whenever you make changes to the banner / logo.

I am not sure why you would want your forum name to be different from the group name in the first place.. it seems like that would only lead to confusion..

And a second one...the approval setting is also updated based on the privacy setting of a group. I also don't understand why...in our forums we have public group forums but also want to require approval for new members.

The code that overwrites the the setting made in the admin cp is also in the manage.php (line 639):

//Make private groups invite only

if( $group['g_privacy'] == 1 ){

$group['g_approval'] = 1;

}

//Force the public to be public

if( $group['g_privacy'] == 0 ){

$group['g_approval'] = 0;

}

So why this setting is overwritten, i think if this the approval requirement is always related to the privacy of a group, then there shouldn't be different settings for that. If there are individual settings for that, the settings should not be quietly overwritten by the application. That is not a good application behaviour and not comprehensible for the user of this app.

ah okay, now i understand the reason for the name update...but then you should check, if the group name is really updated. We use different forum names, because of keeping the groups context in the forums area.

i.e. the group is named "My Group" and the forum is named "Group My Group".

But if it's only updated when really updating the group name it's ok for me.

rsyvarth - did you know your domain expired yesterday? Therefore no demo etc... :(

Have purchased the add-on and really enjoying the functionality. Is there any way the Group Discussion posts can be listed on an individual groups "portal" page? Take this page for example: http://www.flightsimulatornetwork.com/groups/show/2-car-simming/ - there are discussions related to this group, but it's not apparent from this page. Would be nice if it listed some of them under the "News" section.

Happy New Year! :)

@Mark Avey: you need to change your settings in the ACP - there is a widget in the lower left corner, latest posts, that should show the latests posts. Find it here: ACP: My Apps -> Settings -> Portal Display -> and check to make sure the third entry has a number greater than 0.

That's the first thing.

Then the group setting needs to be checked, on the front end, by going to the group, clicking on manage group in the right sidebar (assuming you are a super admin), and then on General Settings, and in the second section, labeled Portal Display, check to make sure you have 3, 5, or 10 in the Number of Latests Posts to Display.

That's the second thing.

The news section is meant for just that, news items, and hopefully in 1.2.5, it will be "tagged" with an autoprefix that says NEWS ....

But you do make a good point in the sidebar for the groups main landing page (portal page) that the number of topics should be listed in parens to the right of 'group discussion.'

Hi,

Been getting an error and when reported to support they replied...

Jason Hanna
30 December 2011 - 03:29 AM
Hello,

It's one of your hooks..

(RSyvarth) Social Group Forum

Seems it doesn't handle deleted topics very well.. It causes a driver error of

mySQL query error: SELECT g.* FROM ibf_social_groups g WHERE g.g_forum=

Check with that mod author, see if they know about it, and if they've updated the mod to handle that better.

--
Jason Hanna
Invision Power Services, Inc.

@Mark Avey: you need to change your settings in the ACP - there is a widget in the lower left corner, latest posts, that should show the latests posts. Find it here: ACP: My Apps -> Settings -> Portal Display -> and check to make sure the third entry has a number greater than 0.

That's the first thing.

Then the group setting needs to be checked, on the front end, by going to the group, clicking on manage group in the right sidebar (assuming you are a super admin), and then on General Settings, and in the second section, labeled Portal Display, check to make sure you have 3, 5, or 10 in the Number of Latests Posts to Display.

That's the second thing.

The news section is meant for just that, news items, and hopefully in 1.2.5, it will be "tagged" with an autoprefix that says NEWS ....

But you do make a good point in the sidebar for the groups main landing page (portal page) that the number of topics should be listed in parens to the right of 'group discussion.'

Sorry, I'm being an idiot. I had it in my mind they should be in the right side bar of each groups page, when in fact they've been sitting there on the left all along!

My apologies :)

Mark

We have the same Invalid Link: The security key for this page is invalid.

We need assistance with this matter asap

Hi Robert,

I've Groups 1.0.1 with IPB 3.1.4.

My users become this message when they go to "Group Discussion" in a group: "Please wait while you are logged into this group's forum"

When they go back in the browser and then go again to "Group Discussion" there's no problem.

First there's the "empty"-Message in "Latest post" ("There are no posts in this group yet...") on group page, after going back in browser they have the postings in the list.

I had rebuild the cache and resychronized the subforums of my group forum (because I moved threads from another category to the subforums).

As I looked in ACP all sub forums have had passwords (numbers), but if I deleted the passwords the error still exist.

And a second one...the approval setting is also updated based on the privacy setting of a group. I also don't understand why...in our forums we have public group forums but also want to require approval for new members.

The code that overwrites the the setting made in the admin cp is also in the manage.php (line 639):

//Make private groups invite only

if( $group['g_privacy'] == 1 ){

$group['g_approval'] = 1;

}

//Force the public to be public

if( $group['g_privacy'] == 0 ){

$group['g_approval'] = 0;

}

So why this setting is overwritten, i think if this the approval requirement is always related to the privacy of a group, then there shouldn't be different settings for that. If there are individual settings for that, the settings should not be quietly overwritten by the application. That is not a good application behaviour and not comprehensible for the user of this app.

That seems to be left over from earlier version of the app. This is fixed in 1.2.5.

ah okay, now i understand the reason for the name update...but then you should check, if the group name is really updated. We use different forum names, because of keeping the groups context in the forums area. i.e. the group is named "My Group" and the forum is named "Group My Group". But if it's only updated when really updating the group name it's ok for me.

If you would like to send me a PM about this, I can give you some file edits to make so the prefix for group names you want is automatically added to the group's forum.

Hi, Been getting an error and when reported to support they replied... Jason Hanna 30 December 2011 - 03:29 AM Hello, It's one of your hooks.. (RSyvarth) Social Group Forum Seems it doesn't handle deleted topics very well.. It causes a driver error of mySQL query error: SELECT g.* FROM ibf_social_groups g WHERE g.g_forum= Check with that mod author, see if they know about it, and if they've updated the mod to handle that better. -- Jason Hanna Invision Power Services, Inc.

What version of Social Groups are you running? This shouldn't be an issue in any recent version.

Hi Robert, I've Groups 1.0.1 with IPB 3.1.4. My users become this message when they go to "Group Discussion" in a group: "Please wait while you are logged into this group's forum" When they go back in the browser and then go again to "Group Discussion" there's no problem. First there's the "empty"-Message in "Latest post" ("There are no posts in this group yet...") on group page, after going back in browser they have the postings in the list. I had rebuild the cache and resychronized the subforums of my group forum (because I moved threads from another category to the subforums). As I looked in ACP all sub forums have had passwords (numbers), but if I deleted the passwords the error still exist.

That is because they are getting a cookie set which gives them permission to view the group's forum. This isn't a bug. The first time you view a group's forum you should get that message, then after that it will take you directly to the forum.

Where can I translate the Message "Please wait while you are logged into this group's forum."? I tried in /admin/applications_addon/other/groups/xml/hooks/group_forum.xml - but that's not right I think. And "Retun to this Group's Home"?

For translating 'Please wait while you are logged into this group's forum.' you will need to open the file /hooks/group_forum_show_somethinghere.php and find this line:

$message = 'Please wait while you are logged into this group\'s forum.';

For the 'Return to this Group's Home' you will need to edit the template bit showError in the skin_groups template group.

Just a note, all of these strings are translatable through the language system in the 3.2 version of this application.

I would also like to let everyone know that Social Groups 1.2.5 has been released! Sorry for the delay, I got caught up in some other projects. You can download the latest version here:

Here is the changelog for this version of the application

New in 1.2.5:
  • Each individual group category can now includes its own setting for group forum visibility and forum parent
  • Social sharing buttons have been added to the bottom of the group page for better social networking integration
  • Option to update all existing groups permissions when you edit the group forum permission grid setting
  • Added a header to the portal page with the app title

Fixed in 1.2.5:
  • Issue with extra line breaks being added to news posts
  • A few remaining untranslatable strings
  • Ajax requests using the old "Loading" text from 3.1.4 instead of the 3 boxes from 3.2
  • Sending invites by member id left out the member name in the invitation message
  • While changing group name from the ACP, the forum name wasn't updated along with it
  • IE8 was showing some JS errors on the group page
  • Permission error which revealed the last topic title from a group to members who couldn't view the group forum
  • Formatting issue with the group forum on various 3rd party skins
  • Bug which prevented non-members of a group who were supermods from using their mod capabilities within a group
  • Link to the last topic of a group's forum on the board index wasn't going to the last post
  • Some sidebars for social groups were not using the new IPB 3.2 layout classes