(RSyvarth) Social Groups

rsyvarth

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That isn't possible, without file edits at least, and IPS won't let apps with file edits into the Marketplace... It also would make it so you couldn't manage the forums.. seems like it would cause more issues. I doubt many forums will be getting 100s of groups, they would have to be huge.

That isn't possible, without file edits at least, and IPS won't let apps with file edits into the Marketplace... It also would make it so you couldn't manage the forums.. seems like it would cause more issues. I doubt many forums will be getting 100s of groups, they would have to be huge.

not sure I see the big issue ... we have (4) categories. I created a new forum under one of those categories and called it 'Just the Groups Forums' and set the forum as active and set to enable in 'Treat this forum as a category.'

So in the acp, in forums, I see all 24 forums listed below Just the Groups, and if I want to change anything with one of the group forums, I just click on it and edit the settings.

Seems easy to me.

not sure I see the big issue ... we have (4) categories. I created a new forum under one of those categories and called it 'Just the Groups Forums' and set the forum as active and set to to enable in 'Treat this forum as a category.'

So in the acp, in forums, I see all 24 forums listed below Just the Groups, and if I want to change anything with one of the group forums, I just click on it and edit the settings.

Seems easy to me.

So you have a new category for just the groups, but what happens when that list of forums grows to 500 new forums? Might cause an issue with loading the page. I tried to create sub-forums to put the new groups in and that way I could hide them in a sub forum, but it throws an error that it cannot find the forum...

I am not sure what you are trying to do... you should be able to put your group's forums into any directory and/or move them where ever you wish once they are created. If you could give me a link to your site, I could better determine what is going wrong.

So you have a new category for just the groups, but what happens when that list of forums grows to 500 new forums? Might cause an issue with loading the page. I tried to create sub-forums to put the new groups in and that way I could hide them in a sub forum, but it throws an error that it cannot find the forum...

well, the way I approached this was to create my groups parent forum before installing my social groups app. I created a forum in one of our 4 categories and I called it 'Just the Groups Forums.' Then I edited the details of that forum to 'treat it like a category'

Then I installed the social groups app, and during the configuration and setup, ACP -> My Apps -> Social Groups - > Settings - Global: in the setting that says Social Group Forum Parent, I selected Just the Groups Forums in the drop down menu and hit save.

From there, I began as did others, to create groups and all of the group forums appeared as 'subforums' under the parent forum called Just the Groups Forums.

A co-admin was messing with the permissions when I was setting up the forums for the groups, I apologize for the misinformation, this had nothing to do with the groups mod! :blush:

Haha, ok that makes a little more sense. I was rather confused there for a minute.

EDIT: I wanted to let you all know that I just obtained a vB database so I can make a converter for vB Social Groups to this application!

Questions:

1) Can the "group permissions" function be disabled, or hidden from view? I, personally, would like to set the "default" permission level of all new groups, and wouldn't want members messing with it after that.

2) Will there be any facility in the future to integrate it with the default IPB Calendar?

Thanks

Nick

Yes, if you add a user group as a global moderator they will be granted full permissions in every group aswell as being able to view hidden groups.

Global moderator for groups or for the whole forum?

I'd like our "alliance" members see all the groups and have people from other "alliances" be able to make groups that our members can see. If that makes sense..

Questions:

1) Can the "group permissions" function be disabled, or hidden from view? I, personally, would like to set the "default" permission level of all new groups, and wouldn't want members messing with it after that.

That isn't currently a feature, but it could easily be implemented in future versions.

2) Will there be any facility in the future to integrate it with the default IPB Calendar?

Yes. I plan to integrate this application with Calendar, Gallery, Blogs, and maybe even Downloads.

Global moderator for groups or for the whole forum?

I'd like our "alliance" members see all the groups and have people from other "alliances" be able to make groups that our members can see. If that makes sense..

Well I was saying the global moderators can view all groups (even if they are hidden), but I don't think that will work well in your circumstance.

I am guessing "alliance" is a User Group? If you, you can make it so only members in that User Group can create groups. Which would take care of only letting them make groups. You can also disable the ability to create "Hidden" groups which will make it so all groups are visible.

I am not sure if that answers your question (I am pretty sure it didn't) so if you would like to clarify further feel free.

Let me see if I can explain this in a friendlier fashion :)

Usergroup 1 (Admin)
Usergroup 2
Usergroup 3

So we want Usergroup 3 to be able to create private groups but Usergroup's 1 and 2 can automatically see, and interact them. Not have group or forum moderation power for Usergroup 2 though, just be able to see it and post in the forum.

One more question :)

I've set it up so that a new forum is created and added to one of my existing forum categories, but it says it's a protected forum. Is there a way to remove this, so it displays the last post info?

I've got the permissions set so that a user who isn't a member of the group can access the social groups created forum and read the forum, which I would have thought would have solved the last post info problem.

Let me see if I can explain this in a friendlier fashion :)

Usergroup 1 (Admin)

Usergroup 2

Usergroup 3

So we want Usergroup 3 to be able to create private groups but Usergroup's 1 and 2 can automatically see, and interact them. Not have group or forum moderation power for Usergroup 2 though, just be able to see it and post in the forum.

You can do that, but it may not to be as restrictive as you may like currently.

You can make it so only User Group 3 (UG3) can make groups.
You can disable Hidden / Private groups so they cannot create hidden groups
The permissions of each individual group can be set so you do not have to join the group to use the forum, but by default you will have to join the group to use the forum
If you trust the members of UG3, then you should not have to worry about them giving moderation permissions to members of the group (UG1 or UG2). They will have the ability to promote members of UG1 and UG2 to moderation positions though...

I think I covered all of that. That can all be achieved, but it may require some vigilant moderation by you / your staff to ensure everything stays the way it should.

I may add features later that would allow this to be set up entirely by the system (eg. you wouldn't have to moderate it at all)

EDIT:

One more question :)

I've set it up so that a new forum is created and added to one of my existing forum categories, but it says it's a protected forum. Is there a way to remove this, so it displays the last post info?

I've got the permissions set so that a user who isn't a member of the group can access the social groups created forum and read the forum, which I would have thought would have solved the last post info problem.

In short, no, not while retaining full privacy on the forums. The way which the system controls the permissions to view a forum is through adding a password on each forum, in theory you could remove this password, but then non-members of the group would be able to view the forum. So you can remove the password if you don't care about the possibility of non-group members viewing the group forum.

I could potentially write a hook that would fix this in the future, but it could be a little be resource intensive...

You could set it up so you had to be a member of the Group to view the forum, and then disable the ability for UG4 to join groups. Or you could set the permissions for the forums created by the Social Group system to remove the ability for UG4 from using the forums. Either method would work.

In short, no, not while retaining full privacy on the forums. The way which the system controls the permissions to view a forum is through adding a password on each forum, in theory you could remove this password, but then non-members of the group would be able to view the forum. So you can remove the password if you don't care about the possibility of non-group members viewing the group forum.

I could potentially write a hook that would fix this in the future, but it could be a little be resource intensive...

That'll work. How would I remove the password? I'm not going to allow private/hidden groups on my forums, so this may be the best solution :)

Well there isn't currently a setting for it, so you will have go into each of the forums created by the Social Group's system via the ACP and go to Edit Settings->Postable Forum Settings->Forum Password and remove that number. Not really the easiest or most convenient process, but if this is requested enough, I will look for a way to show the info on the password protected forums...

So you want to make it so there are certain Groups which are only visible to some User Groups? and then some that are only visible to others? I guess I could put user group permissions on certain group categories.. that should give you the control that you are looking for..

Then you could put the "Viewable by UG1 and UG2 only" in one category / set of categories and then "Viewable by UG1, UG2, and UG4 only" in another.

Yeah. We have a fair amount of usergroups for staff, so we want things like a group visible by UG1 - UG20 along with UG 21, then a group visible by UG1 - UG20 along with UG22 but not UG21. We have about 100 usergroups total, probably 50 that we'd want to see all groups and another 30 that would be using the actual group individually.

The problem is that between UG1 - UG20, we have 300 people in them. So adding each person from those usergroups isn't an option, for the smaller ones like UG21, there aren't that many people so adding them individually to the group isn't a problem.

Archived