(RSyvarth) Social Groups

rsyvarth

Try installing the attached hook and uploading that file to /admin/applications_addon/other/groups/xml/hooks. That should fix the error log issues.

group_forum.xml

I just wanted to let you all know that I have just released Social Groups 1.2.3.[color=#ff0000] It contains a very important security fix so I suggest that you update ASAP.[/color]

thanks, i still use ipb 3.1 series, i will upgrade it when i change to 3.2, thanks a lot for your help.

Several of my major disappointments in this product (Version 1.2.3)

- Large number of non-translatable strings
- Errors in the markup
- Inability to create a private group with the ability to send a request to participate. I would like to be able to create a group is not completely closed to all but with a visibility of names, descriptions of the group's logo with a banner statistics. The rest is close, but give users the ability to send a request to add to the group.
- Inability to join the private group by invitation. In my opinion, this is a bug.

Can you comment on whether it's correct in the near future? Unfortunately, with this functionality can not I use this application for their needs - a comfortable private student groups.

@Bonov:

Did you read the documentation under Settings | Individidual group?

In addition to the public group creation, you have two other group creation features:

"

• Allow Private Groups – allows users to create private groups where membership is by approval only. The groups are visible but users can’t join immediately. They click on the join group button and a message is displayed that this group requires membership approval. Group administrators and/or moderators then approve or decline the membership request. Also provides for join banning if an annoying member keeps trying to join a group after being declined.
  • Allow Hidden Groups – allows users to create hidden groups where membership can be by approval only or open to join. The distinction is that the hidden group is not visible to the user visiting the social groups page. If you set the membership to be open to join, then a user could publicize the hidden group and provide a link, if they were a member, and all sorts of folk could join. For that reason, the group creators can decide if they want to require membership approval."

To me, the private group creation feature is exactly what is coded and yes, the group is visible but if you attempt to join, it requires approval. You can also send an invitation. Did you mean that the private group invitation should already be preapproved? There was quite a bit of time spent on which features to have for the private and the hidden groups. In the end, it seemed the features that were offered would be the most useful to a wide range of people and community managers.

Please correct this minor bags:

http://demo.beyondfo...-social-groups/

Thank you for reporting those, I am surprised that no one has reported those untranslated strings previously.

Hi, excellent mod.

We are converting a network of over 10 sites to IPB from vB and need this functionality. We obviously are interested in the conversion script.

Any updates on it? I saw the mention about 10 pages back.

Thanks

Yea, I started working on it but my local dev server files got deleted while I was updating windows (What the heck?) and since there hasn't been much interest since I stopped working on it. If you are interested in a conversion script I will start working on it again soon. I'll send you a PM, I may need an active vB install to test the conversion with...

Several of my major disappointments in this product (Version 1.2.3)

- Large number of non-translatable strings

Sorry about that, I have had multiple people who translated the app and have reported untranslated strings, but I guess they never found these..

- Errors in the markup

I am not sure what you mean by that? Care to elaborate?

- Inability to create a private group with the ability to send a request to participate. I would like to be able to create a group is not completely closed to all but with a visibility of names, descriptions of the group's logo with a banner statistics. The rest is close, but give users the ability to send a request to add to the group.

You can do that... make the group private and edit the group's permission grid to only allow non-members to see certain sections of the group.

- Inability to join the private group by invitation. In my opinion, this is a bug.

I am not sure what you mean by that either.. invitations should be working just fine.

I am sorry that you are not satisfied with the app, but from what I have seen of your feedback I think it mainly comes from a misunderstanding of the features. I would suggest reading over the documentation as Surferboy said to help you understand the app.

You are welcome to use our license and install to test anything. I've already got a copy of our live database made so there are about 20-30 groups with hundreds of members and 50k or so posts in them.

I am definitely interested in this and will buy as soon as this functionality is possible.

This is one of the last things we need to figure out how to migrate before we can move over from vB!

Thanks

Thank you for reporting those, I am surprised that no one has reported those untranslated strings previously.

Sorry about that, I have had multiple people who translated the app and have reported untranslated strings, but I guess they never found these..

I always go over everything very carefully. Can you fix it?

About formatting issues. For example:
post-196292-0-83301400-1317587825_thumb.

All other comments in your bag tracker. Waiting for your comments. Thank you.

You can do that... make the group private and edit the group's permission grid to only allow non-members to see certain sections of the group.

I am not sure what you mean by that either.. invitations should be working just fine.

I want to be able to create a closed private group that any materials were available exclusively to members of the group. Others can only see this group in the list, see the name and description, and to be able to create a request for membership. This is imposible now. :sad: No one should see the news, lists of participants, etc. Only the name and description!

And when anybody receiving an invitation by a participant, he would have had the opportunity to join a group without moderation.

In addition, I cannot send the invitation again, but this is necessary.

Best example for working with groups - social network vk.com. Please try.

P.S. Sorry, if my English very bad for understanding...

Is it possible to apply a skin to a specific group homepage?

I can apply a skin to the groups forum (and sub-forums) using the same method I'd use to apply to any normal forum, so that's okay. How can I apply a custom skin to a groups homepage (discussion page) though as well?

I want to be able to create a closed private group that any materials were available exclusively to members of the group. Others can only see this group in the list, see the name and description, and to be able to create a request for membership. This is imposible now. :sad: No one should see the news, lists of participants, etc. Only the name and description!

Yea, that is a bug it seems, I fixed it so that you could only see the group description and name if you removed permission to view the group, but that seems to have been reverted in the latest version. I will make sure to fix that in the next version.

And when anybody receiving an invitation by a participant, he would have had the opportunity to join a group without moderation.

The issue with that is that anyone in the group can invite anyone they want so there is no real reason to have moderation for those who are requesting to join on their own and not on those who have received an invite. Invites right now are more of a "hey check this out" rather than an actual invite. I may consider changing the way invites work in a later version because I see that there is some use in having separate permissions for people who have an invite.

This is mainly to avoid having people spam invitations over and over again. I am not sure if this would become an issue, so I may enable an invite resending feature at some point.

Is it possible to apply a skin to a specific group homepage?

I can apply a skin to the groups forum (and sub-forums) using the same method I'd use to apply to any normal forum, so that's okay. How can I apply a custom skin to a groups homepage (discussion page) though as well?

There is no way to do this right now. I will consider something like for future versions with some sort of templating system..

Hi,

Whenever I try to join a group, I get the error:

IP.Board Message

Invalid Link: The security key for this page is invalid

What can I do about this?

Thanks

I will need to take a closer look, there should be no reason for this unless you are following a link that someone else sent to you, as long as you are clicking the join button that is on the page you shouldn't be seeing that error.

No responses and no changes... :sad:

Sorry, I do not have much time during the week because of school. I will be working on the app this weekend if I can find some time. My schedule will hopefully start to open up in about 3 or 4 weeks which should let me get more work done. Until that time, my responses may be a bit delayed unfortunately.. thank you for your patience.

I just wanted to let you guys know that I just successfully ran a conversion from vB's Social Groups to my Social Groups app on IPB! The conversion included all of the Categories, Groups, Members, Topics and Posts in the group. Essentially the only thing that isn't converted are the photos since there is no equivalent in IPB version currently. If anyone has a vB (v4) database which has heavy use of Social Groups which they would allow me to use for testing the converter it would be greatly appreciated. The more tests I can run on it, the more stable the converter will become!

I have also fixed all of the active bugs in the tracker for version 1.2.4 of the Social Groups application. I plan to release the Beta version of the converter for free along with 1.2.4 sometime within the next few days depending on how well the converter works in more 'real world' situations.

Anyways, I just wanted to give you guys a quick update. Please keep on reporting bugs as you find them and giving me your feedback!

This is mainly to avoid having people spam invitations over and over again. I am not sure if this would become an issue, so I may enable an invite resending feature at some point.

Try to do something, anybody can simply accidentally delete a message with invitation, for example ...

Future suggestion:
For the each category in ACP add a setting for visibility a forums from groups in this category.

For example:
Category: system - I need to Hide every group forum from the index
Category: schools - Show all group forums on the index

Version 1.2.4 Released!

Now includes a vB to IPB converter for Social Groups!

*New* vB Converter (Beta) - Quickly and easily move all of your Social Groups from vBulletin over to IPB with just a few clicks. You can finally fill the last gap in your vB to IPB conversion by transferring all of your Categories, Social Groups, Social Group Members, and Group Discussions with the converter.

Changelog

• New in 1.2.4:
    • vBulletin converter is now included with the application

• Multiple language bits have been added for previously untranslatable strings
    • Fixed issue which prevented users from joining groups which they didn't have permission to view (Re-fixed)
    • Fixed bug preventing member autocomplete from working in a few places
    • Fixed formatting issue in the group stats activity log

tracker

[*]Fixed in 1.2.4:

As always please submit all of your bugs to the . Also if you use the converter I would greatly appreciate it if you would message me about how the conversion went since it is a very new and fairly untested facet of the product and I want to make sure it gets into full working order as quickly as possible. Thanks Robert Syvarth

@Chosen redhead: yes ... take a look at the newest group on the demo board. That group name is 38 characters, including spaces. The spillage makes the sidebar navigation an issue, as well as the name of the groups on the main group page. The breadcrumbs get way too long in the group discussion area, just all kinds of things. We played with various lengths, back and forth between 25 and 40 + and finally settled on 38 as a reasonable number that would accommodate the most number of communities.

http://demo.beyondfo...dex.php/groups/

Suggestion (hopefully this is the right place):
Make members who request to join a group to join a group for specific time-frame. For example I may create a group for a game that runs 4 months and then I want all members to be automatically unsubscribed. One idea is to create tickets or subscriptions that members will choose upon joining a group. Another is to integrate IP.Nexus with their subscriptions.

Anyway, having limited time-frame in a social group I believe is something useful.

In the Hood: why would you want all members to be automatically unsubscribed? What is the use in that? I am trying to see what you gain from doing that as opposed to the obvious (to me): delete the group or lock it. The other part of your suggestion is interesting, if I understand it correctly: time-limited group invite?

I need the following:
I organized Writers' laboratories (creative writing) into groups that runs for 4 months each. I need to ask people to JOIN a social group under certain conditions, that is 4-moths pass, I'll approve them and after 4-months the member will be off because the the lab is done.

I don't want to have to go or ask the moderator/admin of the social group to unsubscribe one by one all members (these are closed group and info is privileged).

So it would be nice if upon asking to join a group, the app could somehow categorize the member under which time-frame this member is allowed into the group ie. for 3 months, or for 3months but s/he can re-subscribe and continue.

Another idea is perhaps using IP.Nexus, that a member can join a group if s/he can a specific group (or secondary group actually that I use a lot) and if not s/he can not enter the social group or re-join.

I am not sure how this can work but I guess you get the main point.

Of course each member should be different from the other, for example one member may have access doe ever, another for X days from join date, another just form X date to Y date. It all depends of the flexibility you want to give. My opinion all in necessary since I have several special accesses (some people just read a forum, others can read/write, other can not even see the forum, etc).

hope this make sense and it's somehow applicable to be implemented.

thanks for asking more info. :smile: