(RSyvarth) Social Groups

rsyvarth

I see what is happening here, it looks like IPS has changed their format for the ID on the user group setting panes. The "tabpane-GROUPS|12" on the first line should be "tab_GROUPS_12_content" for it to function properly. If you would like to setup restrictions on your site before I release the new version of the app and you have Firebug / Chrome developer console, you can removed the "display:none" attribute from your groups tab and it should pop up. If that doesn't make any sense to you, don't worry about it, I'll start working on fixing these bugs soon.

Well, I actually went further, and rewrote the whole file, in order to see what was up, but I am still getting the same problem.
The following is the current file the way I have changed it, to align with existing bits and pieces.

<?php

/**

* IP.Tracker 2.0.0

*  - IPS Community Project Developers

* Group Plugin skin templates

* Last Updated: $Date: 2010-12-08 17:04:06 +0000 (Wed, 08 Dec 2010) $

* @author  $Author: krocheck $

* @copyright 2001 - 2008 Invision Power Services, Inc.

* @license  http://www.invisionpower.com/community/board/license.html

* @package  IP.Tracker

* @link   http://resources.invisionpower.com

* @version  $Revision: 1119 $

*/

class cp_skin_groups_group_form extends output

{

/**

* Prevent our main destructor being called by this class

* @access public

* @return void

*/

function __destruct()

{

}

/**

* Return the HTML form for our group settings

* @access public

* @return html

*/

function acp_group_form_main( $group, $tabId ) {

$form		= array();

$form['g_groups_own_limit']  = $this->registry->output->formInput( "g_groups_own_limit", $group['g_groups_own_limit'] ? $group['g_groups_own_limit'] : -1 );

$form['g_groups_join_limit']  = $this->registry->output->formInput( "g_groups_join_limit", $group['g_groups_join_limit'] ? $group['g_groups_join_limit'] : -1 );

$IPBHTML = "";

$IPBHTML .= <<<EOF

<div id='tab_GROUPS_{$tabId}_content'>

<table class='ipsTable double_pad'>

<tr>

<td class='field_title'>

<strong class='title'>Group Ownership Limit</strong>

</td>

<td class='field_field'>

{$form['g_groups_own_limit']}

<br />

<span class='desctext'>The limit on the number of groups this member can create. <em>Enter -1 for no limit</em></span>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td class='field_title'>

<strong>Group Membership Limit</strong>

</td>

<td class='field_field'>

{$form['g_groups_join_limit']}

<span class='desctext'>The limit on the numer of groups this member can join. <em>Enter -1 for no limit</em></span>

</td>

</tr>

</table>

</div>

EOF;

return $IPBHTML;

}

/**

* Return the HTML for the TAB of our group settings

* @access public

* @return html

*/

function acp_group_form_tabs( $group, $tabId ) {

$IPBHTML = "";

/* <li id='tab-GROUPS_{$tabId}'>{$this->caches['app_cache']['groups']['app_title']}</li> */

$title = IPSLib::getAppTitle('groups');

$IPBHTML .= <<<EOF

<li id="tab-GROUPS_{$tabId}">{$title}</li>

EOF;

return $IPBHTML;

}

}

Most of the changes are cosmetic, and aligning of class and id names, as well as table structure. (Was not taking any chances.)
When I browse into the trees in the Opera inspector, I get neat little matching trees.
To no avail yet.
So I assume there is still some other point/trigger that is causing this.
The code is obviously there, but somehow clicking on the appropriate tab, changes to that area, but does not initiate the html visibility, and that pops up blank somehow.
The other tabs all have the "display: none" part as well, although come to think of it, I did not verify this in the inspector. Will need to recheck and confirm that this is the case. I'm obviously missing something somewhere along the line. Will post again when I can figure out anything else.

Ok, so now I see how it works.
All the tabs are marked display:none initially. When clicking on them, they change to display:block.
This is however not happening with the social groups tab, so there is a trigger somewhere, that is supposed to update the CSS/HTML rendering dynamically to pop up the relevant section, which is not triggering, or not setting the block correctly.
See attached screenshots of the inspector under Opera.
I'll see if I can dig some more.
P.S. Gallery=id block 10, and Social Groups = id Block 11.

whew.. it took me a long time trying to read through all these pages to see if this app could work for me. I had to start skim reading after page 12 lol. I have been trying to find an alternative way to creating duplicate forums for many different locations and was wondering if this could be used for that? I mean, is there a limit on how many groups could be going for it to work properly? There's no mod yet that I know of to duplicate categories, forums, settings, and permissions, so this could possibly be a huge time saver if it could be used for something like that? But, like I said, it would be MANY groups and surferboy on one of the previous pages said he couldn't imagine why someone would need many groups, but I found one reason lol. Please advise?

Ok, so now I see how it works.

All the tabs are marked display:none initially. When clicking on them, they change to display:block.

This is however not happening with the social groups tab, so there is a trigger somewhere, that is supposed to update the CSS/HTML rendering dynamically to pop up the relevant section, which is not triggering, or not setting the block correctly.

See attached screenshots of the inspector under Opera.

I'll see if I can dig some more.

P.S. Gallery=id block 10, and Social Groups = id Block 11.

I'll look into it more soon, I am guessing there is something simple that it is missing.

whew.. it took me a long time trying to read through all these pages to see if this app could work for me. I had to start skim reading after page 12 lol. I have been trying to find an alternative way to creating duplicate forums for many different locations and was wondering if this could be used for that? I mean, is there a limit on how many groups could be going for it to work properly? There's no mod yet that I know of to duplicate categories, forums, settings, and permissions, so this could possibly be a huge time saver if it could be used for something like that? But, like I said, it would be MANY groups and surferboy on one of the previous pages said he couldn't imagine why someone would need many groups, but I found one reason lol. Please advise?

I have tested this application locally with about 1500 groups and up to 5000 members in one group without any issues. I am sure that app can go beyond that, I just didn't want to test after that point. So I am pretty sure that you won't have any trouble having as many groups as you want, but if you do run into any issues, let me know and I will remedy it asap.

Let me know if you have any more questions about the app, I wouldn't want you to buy it if it won't end up working for your purposes.

Ok, I eventually got some more time to dig around today, and I think I have the solution.

The last problem was in the LI list definition, where the original file had:

<li id='tabtab-GROUPS|{$tabId}' class=''>{$this->caches['app_cache']['groups']['app_title']}</li>

which I had changed to:

<li id="tab-GROUPS_{$tabId}">{$title}</li>

and still did not work. I kept staring myself blind against it the whole time, as the "tab-" should be "tab_", and once I changed this to:

<li id="tab_GROUPS_{$tabId}">{$title}</li>

It worked! See screenshot. post-200663-0-98471800-1315233361_thumb. So obviously, IPS looks for a tab_GROUPS_11 (in my case), to update the div id to show as block, and fails silently, therefore never bringing the block visible. So, the "reworked" file, for:

• admin/applications_addon/other/groups/skin_cp/cp_skin_groups_group_form.php
looks as follows below. Can you please update your sides for the correct changes, as I cannot vouch for my ability to rewrite stuff, and I based a lot of it on the shoutbox one, to see if I could get it "aligned".

<?php

/**

* IP.Tracker 2.0.0

*  - IPS Community Project Developers

* Group Plugin skin templates

* Last Updated: $Date: 2010-12-08 17:04:06 +0000 (Wed, 08 Dec 2010) $

* @author  $Author: krocheck $

* @copyright 2001 - 2008 Invision Power Services, Inc.

* @license  http://www.invisionpower.com/community/board/license.html

* @package  IP.Tracker

* @link   http://resources.invisionpower.com

* @version  $Revision: 1119 $

*/

class cp_skin_groups_group_form extends output

{

/**

* Prevent our main destructor being called by this class

* @access public

* @return void

*/

function __destruct()

{

}

/**

* Return the HTML form for our group settings

* @access public

* @return html

*/

function acp_group_form_main( $group, $tabId ) {

$form		= array();

$form['g_groups_own_limit']  = $this->registry->output->formInput( "g_groups_own_limit", $group['g_groups_own_limit'] );

$form['g_groups_join_limit']  = $this->registry->output->formInput( "g_groups_join_limit", $group['g_groups_join_limit'] );

$IPBHTML = "";

$IPBHTML .= <<<EOF

<div id='tab_GROUPS_{$tabId}_content'>

<table class='ipsTable double_pad'>

<tr>

<td class='field_title'>

<strong class='title'>Group Ownership Limit</strong>

</td>

<td class='field_field'>

{$form['g_groups_own_limit']}

<br />

<span class='desctext'>The limit on the number of groups this member can create.<br /><em>Enter -1 for no limit</em></span>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td class='field_title'>

<strong>Group Membership Limit</strong>

</td>

<td class='field_field'>

{$form['g_groups_join_limit']}

<br />

<span class='desctext'>The limit on the numer of groups this member can join.<br /><em>Enter -1 for no limit</em></span>

</td>

</tr>

</table>

</div>

EOF;

return $IPBHTML;

}

/**

* Return the HTML for the TAB of our group settings

* @access public

* @return html

*/

function acp_group_form_tabs( $group, $tabId ) {

$IPBHTML = "";

/* <li id='tab-GROUPS_{$tabId}'>{$this->caches['app_cache']['groups']['app_title']}</li> */

$title = IPSLib::getAppTitle('groups');

$IPBHTML .= <<<EOF

<li id="tab_GROUPS_{$tabId}">{$title}</li>

EOF;

return $IPBHTML;

}

}

I just checked on the permissions for the groups, and as a group owner, I managed to transfer ownership of the group, to a member that has no group ownership rights in the group, i.e. the ACP value is set to 0.
So there is still a bug there.
This may or may not be due to the fact that the original owner ID I used is a "super-moderator".
When I have time, I will create another normal user, with rights to create a group, and see if I can transfer it from there.
Please let me know if you can think of anything specific for me to test.
Tests I wish to do:

• Try and create a group, whilst having no group ownership rights.
  • Try and join a group that when not having any group join rights.
  • try and join additional groups if the group join rights are set to 1.
  • Try and create a second group, if already owning one, and having only 1 ownership rights.
  • Transferring more than one group to a person that has no ownership rights.

Did I miss any?

What I am trying to achieve here, is to understand the restrictions, and test the boundaries, before I get myself into a heap of trouble.

General question to the all the readers here:
What is the feeling/consensus on the max number of groups to allow to join?
Infinite? 20, 50? much higher? allow x for starting members, then go x*y when reaching amount of posts/time registered and so on? (Rewards like.)

Personally I am inclined to allow only a max of about 20 groups initially, pending future review, but allow exceptions by putting members into a secondary group that has more allowances. My reasoning is very specific to the nature of the forum, which is a community forum for photographers, and the way I look at it, is that members would belong to 1 or more photography clubs, and the some interest groups.

As a feature, it might be cool to be able to categorize groups, and allow different number of group membership counts to different categories, i.e. allow to belong to up to 2 club groups, 10 general groups, and 5 product groups. (Random though generated group-names here...) In my particular circumstances, this would no be like this, but I can envision that someone would want to do something like that. i.e. gaming sites.

Feelings about max number of groups to join:

Having been mired in the IP Content learning curve, I had to jump back into the Social Group ACP settings to check if there was an already existing max group setting. I couldn't find one. At first, I didn't see a need for this and I was concerned that we might be asking Robert to spend time coding on a feature that maybe 5% of the app owners might use.

However, after thinking about our community (member-only accessible board), I could see a person(s) could join and then belong to all the groups and potentially begin a campaign of posting for nefarious reasons. What would be more useful for me would be a watchdog feature that showed members who belong to more than x number of groups, call it the yellow zone if they belong to x or more groups, and then a red zone if they belong to y or more groups. In that case, I would like to either be able to ban them from groups, restrict further group membership, and also get a warning message that member Jane Doe has now joined x number of groups and John Smith has now joined y number of groups.

Having a preset restriction of the number of groups to join seems a little "too much government in our private lives." With that said, you could make a point for restricting the social groups a member could join based on their board group level. Plain member could join x; moderator could join y;

Hey,

After reading in various topics, I found a thread that talked about the invisibility of the notification msg count in 3.14 in the UCP. So I changed the code in ipb_styles.css:

#user_navigation #new_msg_count {

background-color: [s]#528f6c;[/s]#FF0057;

font-weight: bold;

font-size: 0.9em;

padding: 3px [s]7px;[/s]5px 3px 5px;

top: [s]0px;[/s]36px;

left: [s]45px;[/s]180px;

position: absolute;

}

That worked great but in doing that, the Social Groups member count color changed identically, to the same bright pink color. Now the Social Groups main page is so blazingly bright with colors from the group logos as well as the member count squares that people need polarized sunglasses.

Is there a way to add or modify the social groups css so the member count squares can be adjusted independently?

Still using 3.14.

Hey,

After reading in various topics, I found a thread that talked about the invisibility of the notification msg count in 3.14 in the UCP. So I changed the code in ipb_styles.css:

That worked great but in doing that, the Social Groups member count color changed identically, to the same bright pink color. Now the Social Groups main page is so blazingly bright with colors from the group logos as well as the member count squares that people need polarized sunglasses.

Is there a way to add or modify the social groups css so the member count squares can be adjusted independently?

Still using 3.14.

Try adding something like this to your css:

.download_pane #new_msg_count {

background-color: #528f6c;

padding: 3px 7px;

top: 0px;

left: 45px;

}

I am not sure if that will do it for you, but it might.

Well that css didn't change the color of the social groups main page upper right corner member count squares. Was it supposed to or was it supposed to supplant the message notification color?

Thanks.

Try this

.download_pane #user_navigation #new_msg_count {

background-color: #528f6c;

padding: 3px 7px;

top: 0px;

left: 45px;

}

When i use the "Goto unread" link in the "View new content" view on a topic, that is located in a group discussions forum, the scrolling to the first unread topic doesn't work.

something like this:

http://community.inv...-groups/unread/

This is appears to be a bug in IPB while logging into a password protected forum. I will submit a bug.

Try this

Hey - that did the trick. pasted the code in ipb_styles.css for those who are interested.

Also, a neat extra feature ... the featured groups member number count square still has the shocking pink color, which is actually kind of cool because it helps to draw your eye to the featured groups as they cycle on the page. So that .css code allowed me to change the color for the regular groups but retain the color for the featured group banner.

Thanks!

Can I put google ads in the groups section or will the google ads have to show when they click on the topic of discussions within the group taking them to the forums?

You should be able to place them wherever you want. It may require you to do some template edits, but if you need help with that feel free to ask and I can tell you where to paste your adsense code.

I just got Groups :smile: I have a cpl initial questions...

1. How do I make the center column wider (when viewing the group) and the side columns a little thinner?

You should be able to place them wherever you want. It may require you to do some template edits, but if you need help with that feel free to ask and I can tell you where to paste your adsense code.

Yes pls, for all groups past, present, future groups.. would like to place google ad.

3. Is it possible to make it invisible for non-members to read posts made inside a group (like for a prayer group), but yet see it so they join it if they want without making all groups like that?

4. Also, I apparently don't know how to add a default picture for the group. Mine shows a broken image icon thing. But I also didn't see where I could make the image for the group. I put an image in the left column, but that's not the same thing.

I just got Groups :smile: I have a cpl initial questions...

1. How do I make the center column wider (when viewing the group) and the side columns a little thinner?

Yes pls, for all groups past, present, future groups.. would like to place google ad.

3. Is it possible to make it invisible for non-members to read posts made inside a group (like for a prayer group), but yet see it so they join it if they want without making all groups like that?

4. Also, I apparently don't know how to add a default picture for the group. Mine shows a broken image icon thing. But I also didn't see where I could make the image for the group. I put an image in the left column, but that's not the same thing.

I will respond to these questions via PM to avoid clogging up this topic.

When trying to view a topic in a group that a member does not have permission to view it gives a Database error message.

Are you aware of this and if so is it fixed in the hopefully forthcoming release?

No, I have not seen this error. If you could please do the following.
1. View a topic which you don't have permission to view so that you get the Driver Error page.
2. Open up the file /cache/sql_error_latest.cgi
3. Paste the contents of that file into a PM and send it to me.

When trying to view a topic in a group that a member does not have permission to view it gives a Database error message.

I get the same thing. When a 'non-member' is still given permission to view topic, it initially says there's an ERROR on the page then a few seconds later it forwards me to my destination. But I'm afraid that might frustrate or confuse guests.

Thanks.. the PM fixed all that.

On the "Description" Field, I keep getting unwanted line breaks after each link I put down. It's not like that in the editor, but when I click to save it and check it out, new lines are automatically added. How do I get rid of that problem?

I think this is related to an issue with html tags not being parsed in the app. I am going to try to release the new version soon, let me know if the issue persists after the new version.

Hi rsyvarth, i already mark "yes" in Hide Subforums option, and i´m still can see them on board index, am i doing something wrong?

i´m using ipb 3.1.4 and the version of Social Groups for this.

thanks.

Yea, unless you have all of your group forums as a subforum you probably are looking to change the setting under ACP -> Social Groups -> Individual Group Settings -> Group Forum Display. If you need any more help with the settings you can try checking the documentation or sending me a PM.

I get the same thing. When a 'non-member' is still given permission to view topic, it initially says there's an ERROR on the page then a few seconds later it forwards me to my destination. But I'm afraid that might frustrate or confuse guests.

Oh, ok, yes I am aware of that. It isn't a database error, it is just IPB's no-permission error message which I need to hide.. it is a small bug that popped up after the 3.2 upgrade.