(RSyvarth) Social Groups

rsyvarth

1. Is there some secret way of getting the discussions to work? I assigned a category in the ACP and I have given everyone permission to access the forum in the group but for some reason I am unable to access them.

Make sure you have both the "Forum Permissions" and "Default Group Permissions" grids configured first, then try creating a new group. If you have everything setup correctly it should work just fine. If you need more help configuring these setting send me a PM and I will help you more specifically.

2. Uploading the logo background image seams to be resizing it to the height of the logo. Any easy way to turn this off?

If you want to turn off the banner / logo / background resizing you will need to preform a file edit. Currently it is set to resize anything taller than 150px for the background and banner, and it resizes logos to 100 x 100. If you would like to alter these limits I can give you some file edits that will change the resizing, it may also require you to change some css rules. You can also PM me about these changes if you want them.

1. Are topics/posts functions available in the group forum are in normal forums, that is soft-delete, restore, move etc?

2. Can someone move a topic from a group to another group and/or a normal forum and visa versa?

3. Are admins able to have view/controls over groups or only the group-owner? In short, can I see what's going on or not? (this is important for security reasons, for example I don;t want to have them pirating into a group without having a way to find out).

1. Are topics/posts functions available in the group forum are in normal forums, that is soft-delete, restore, move etc?

Yes. Group forums are just normal forums with some special functionality attached.

2. Can someone move a topic from a group to another group and/or a normal forum and visa versa?

Yes.

3. Are admins able to have view/controls over groups or only the group-owner? In short, can I see what's going on or not? (this is important for security reasons, for example I don;t want to have them pirating into a group without having a way to find out).

Yes, there is an option to make define moderators who will have full access to all groups. They will even see hidden groups listed.

hello,

if i add german vocals in the news ( ö ä ü ß ) the modul makes a lot of errors. it makes this a code (&-auml;) out the vocals, in the discussion tool,we have no problems.

That is odd. I will start working on the next version in a few days and I'll make sure to address that.

Hi,

Thank you very much for making what I hope will be a VERY useful addition to my Owners Club.

As a future suggestion, would you be able to add an RSVP count/list in some way... or, a way of the group staff being able to create a calendar entry via the group, as I believe the new Calendar has a built in RSVP?

Regards

Jim

@djwins: yeah, you can get notifications for new posts; just click on watch forum right after you click on group discussion. Alternatively, you can select to 'watch topic' for individual topics.

If you're asking if there is or could be default setting to automatically watch the forum after you join a group, I personally would not want that as an individual group member since if I am a member of several groups, I might to only watch a forum for one or two, and not follow every single topic posted in every group.

Hi,

Thank you very much for making what I hope will be a VERY useful addition to my Owners Club.

As a future suggestion, would you be able to add an RSVP count/list in some way... or, a way of the group staff being able to create a calendar entry via the group, as I believe the new Calendar has a built in RSVP?

Regards

Jim

I have group calendar events as an item on my "todo" list... so it should happen eventually, I just have a few other things that I need to do first.

Can we get notifications for new posts in groups we are members of?

Read surferboy's post.

Thanks for your reply.

Found another issue... I have some already established forums, with large forums for regional areas. Is there, or could there be a way to choose an already existing forum as the 'group' forum, rather than creating a new one?

Regards

Jim

Thanks for your reply.

Found another issue... I have some already established forums, with large forums for regional areas. Is there, or could there be a way to choose an already existing forum as the 'group' forum, rather than creating a new one?

Regards

Jim

There isn't currently a way to do that in the app because some special attributes are added to group forums, but what you can do is just create a group for each one of your forums then move the topics over from your existing forums to the ones created by the group system.

As far as I have understand a group is a special forum. Can I have subforums too? That is subgroups in a group or this is not supported for technical reasons?

You cannot create groups within a group... but you can manually add subforums to a group's forum, so if you wanted to make the appearance of having subgroups within a group you could do the following.

1. Create your parent group
2. Add create your 'subgroups' as normal groups, but make them hidden so they do not appear on the listings (you don't have to hide them if you don't want)
3. Create subforums on your original group that redirect to your subgroups.

That will make a structure that is essentially sub groups, although I am not sure if there are really any major benefits to that approach. I would think it would be better to make a category to put all of the groups into.

IP Content My Groups Block

For those who want to feature a block showing a list of groups that you belong to, in other words 'My Groups' on IP Content, Robert gave me some code and here are the steps I went through to create a Groups block:

1. ACP -> My Apps -> IP Content
2. Click on Blocks
3. Click on Add Block
4. Select Custom from the dropdown menu and click next
5. Select Raw Php and click next
6a. Enter the title that you want displayed on the block on the IP Content page. I used 'My Groups'
6b. Enter the block key which is anything you want. I used 'mygroups_block'
6c. Enter a plain language description for the next field of the block description. I used 'shows list of all groups to which you belong'
6d. Select a category for where the block is listed in the ACP. Personally, I just go with the default of 'no category' to show all of my personalized blocks
6e. You can choose yes or no to display if no groups listed ... I prefer to use no on all my blocks but that is easier for my display purposes.
6f. Click next
7. Use the cache if you want. I did not and do not so far for creating and using blocks in IP Content.
8. Now plop this code in the template. I'm still having trouble with the top of the block box but Robert is helping me cobble this together. I hope to eventually add code so you can see group image logos above the group names:

echo <<<EOF

<div class='general_box'>

<h3>{$title}</h3>

</div>

EOF;

$this->DB->build( array(

'select' => 'm.*',

'from' => array( 'social_group_members' => 'm' ),

'group' => 'g.g_id',

'where' => 'm.has_left=0 AND m.member_id='.$this->memberData['member_id'],

'add_join' => array(

array(

'select' => 'g.*',

'from' => array( 'social_groups' => 'g' ),

'type' => 'inner',

'where' => 'g.g_id=m.g_id'

)

)

)

);

$a = $this->DB->execute();

while ( $row = $this->DB->fetch( $a ) )

{

$new_groups[] = $row;

}

if(is_array($new_groups)){

foreach( $new_groups as $k => $v ){

$new_groups[$k]['creator'] = IPSMember::load( $v['g_founder'] );

}

}

echo $this->registry->getClass('output')->getTemplate('groups')->latestGroupsHook( $new_groups );

8. copy the code and paste it in your index.html page or whatever page html you use. I added it to my list of sidebar blocks. Then click Finish! (DO NOT FORGET TO DO THAT OR IT WON'T SAVE!!!)

That's it.

Would love to hear if anyone else has come up with some blocks they use from social groups in IP Content.

- Brian

Just to keep you guys up to date, I have started work on version 1.2.2 of the app. This release will just contain bug fixes. I have already tackled some of the harder ones, so I only have a few little things left to do before I can release it. It should be out some time this week as long as school doesn't interfere.

I just purchased the social groups for our community, and I came across this small bug whilst trying to configure:

In file "<root>/admin/applications_addon/other/groups/skin_cp/cp_skin_groups.php" on line 751, there is a hardcoded link to "http://192.168.2.100/ib32b1/admin....".

This prevents the "Default Group Permissions" link to work from the ACP.
Once I removed the "http://192.168.2.100/ib32b1" so that the link only points to "/admin/...", it worked as expected.

Questions/Suggestions.

Is it possible to limit the number of groups that a person can create?

This also ties in with something I need to test: Is it possible to transfer the ownership of a group, to a member that is not allowed to create groups?

Ideally, the control of groups (in my opinion.) should be of such nature that:

• Only people that have the right to be so, can be owners of a group.
  • Ownership cannot be transferred, unless the recipient falls into that group, and has less than the number of allowed groups.

I have no idea of the complexity of such features, so if I am way of the mark, please shoot. :)
Kind of similar in fashion how the blogs work.

I also assume that creating more than one "owner" would be difficult?

Experience on access and settings for the discussion forums of the groups.

This might potentially help someone else to overcome problems.

Whilst setting up social groups, I hit an odd snag, whereby I could not view the forums for a group, even when set to public, under some users, sometimes even the "owner" of the group.

I then eventually, after digging and turning everything to open, and tightening back down again, figured out that I was being overzealous. I set up a category called "Community Groups", which I set up as a parent for the social groups functionality.

However, I set this category to not be viewable for most groups, (IPB rights) and what happens in that case, is that IPB decides to decline access to the category, including everything below it. This included any forum below this point, irrespective of that forums actual rights allowing the user to view it. It appears as if IPB takes the stance that a "view" right, encompasses and overrides everything else if set to disallow.

So, to get around this, any IPB category for this purpose, should be viewable to everyone (excluding banned members and other miscreants, which you really don't care about) and then use Social groups to set the category as being hidden.

To hide all the groups in this category, switch Social-groups->settings->global->Hide Subforums to Yes.
When a category then does not show forums, it will automagically disappear.

To refine this, one can show this category, with only the groups that a user is subscribed to:
The setup is then as follows:
Social-groups->settings->global->Hide Subforums to No
Social-groups->individual-group->group-forum-display to "Mine".

This has the result that anyone that belongs to groups, will see them in the forum index, and anyone that does not belong to any groups, will not even see the category.

This app is also intelligent enough to take over the group roles when you enter that group, making you re-appear in the groups environment. :smile:

Also remember that each group has forum access control. (Group->Manage Group->Manage Permissions) By default guests cannot read topics in the forum, so they can see them, but get an error when they click on them.
This may, or may not be desirable.

It is possible to set the default permissions for new groups from the ACP, but this will not touch existing ones, which need to be updated manually.

Hopefully this quick rundown might help someone else sort out their setup.

Questions/Suggestions.

Is it possible to limit the number of groups that a person can create?

Yes, if you edit their user group there should be a tab for Social Groups which will let you limit the number of groups that they can create and/or be a member of.

This also ties in with something I need to test: Is it possible to transfer the ownership of a group, to a member that is not allowed to create groups?

I think I have implemented a check to prevent that.. but I may have forgotten. If I have it should be an easy fix.

Ideally, the control of groups (in my opinion.) should be of such nature that:

• Only people that have the right to be so, can be owners of a group.
  • Ownership cannot be transferred, unless the recipient falls into that group, and has less than the number of allowed groups.

I have no idea of the complexity of such features, so if I am way of the mark, please shoot. :smile:

That is the way it should be right now.. but I haven't tested the transferring the group to a member who doesn't have permission to own a group yet..

I also assume that creating more than one "owner" would be difficult?

It wouldn't be too difficult, but it would be unnecessary I think. The owner vs admin permissions only have minor differences...

I seem to have another problem:

When I post "news" or even normal topics, in the group page, the HTML tags show up, i.e. the <p> and </p> are visible.

Is there something I am missing, or is this possibly a bug?

It is a bug, I needed to change some of the ways I parse text in 3.2's new editor. It will be fixed in the next version which will be coming out *soon*

(Sorry for the delay, I just started school again and I am still trying to figure my schedule out, so please bear with me for just a bit longer)

Yes, if you edit their user group there should be a tab for Social Groups which will let you limit the number of groups that they can create and/or be a member of.

I checked that section, and all I see is the "complete edit" button.
When I look at the source, I can see the proper section there, but it seems like there is a problem which prevents it from popping up.
This is the source of the page:

<div id='tabpane-GROUPS|12'>

<div>

<table class='form_table' cellspacing='0'>

<tr>

<td style='width: 40%'>

<label>Group Ownership Limit</label><br />

<span class="date">The limit on the numer of groups this member can create<br /><i>Enter -1 for no limit</i></span>

</td>

<td style='width: 60%'>

<input type='text' name='g_groups_own_limit' id='g_groups_own_limit' value='-1' size='30' class='input_text' />

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<label>Group Membershi Limit</label><br />

<span class="date">The limit on the numer of groups this member can join<br /><i>Enter -1 for no limit</i></span>

</td>

<input type='text' name='g_groups_join_limit' id='g_groups_join_limit' value='-1' size='30' class='input_text' />

</td>

</tr>

</table>

</div>

</div>

I do see that it is tabbed just after the shoutbox, so I will try and move it around/disable the shoutbox, to see if the problem does not maybe surface from there.

I think I have implemented a check to prevent that.. but I may have forgotten. If I have it should be an easy fix.

I will test this over the weekend, and feed back once I know if it works or not.

It wouldn't be too difficult, but it would be unnecessary I think. The owner vs admin permissions only have minor differences...

The reason for multiple owners, is due to experience, I have found many times that someone is the owner of a list or other service, and then "vanishes", which means the admins need to intervene to re-assign ownership. Not a major issue though.

It is a bug, I needed to change some of the ways I parse text in 3.2's new editor. It will be fixed in the next version which will be coming out *soon*

Ah, no problemo. For the time being, to get around this, is to re-edit it, remove the tags, and then it displays correctly.

(Sorry for the delay, I just started school again and I am still trying to figure my schedule out, so please bear with me for just a bit longer)

Yeah, i know that feeling. when responsibility interferes with intention.
I am happy with things how they are going at this point in time, and looking at your responsiveness to problems, was one of the reasons why I decided to actually purchase this addon. :)

Ok, I just moved the social groups ahead of the other apps, and still see the same result on the edit-group->social groups tab, where the limits do not show up, only the "complete edit" button.

Disabling shoutbox made no difference either.

My knowledge of HTML/CSS is a bit too limited to figure out where the problem sits.
However, that does not prevent me from digging. Will post again if I find anything. :smile:

I checked that section, and all I see is the "complete edit" button.

When I look at the source, I can see the proper section there, but it seems like there is a problem which prevents it from popping up.

This is the source of the page:

<div id='tabpane-GROUPS|12'>

<div>

<table class='form_table' cellspacing='0'>

<tr>

<label>Group Ownership Limit</label><br />

<span class="date">The limit on the numer of groups this member can create<br /><i>Enter -1 for no limit</i></span>

</td>

<input type='text' name='g_groups_own_limit' id='g_groups_own_limit' value='-1' size='30' class='input_text' />

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<label>Group Membershi Limit</label><br />

<span class="date">The limit on the numer of groups this member can join<br /><i>Enter -1 for no limit</i></span>

</td>

<input type='text' name='g_groups_join_limit' id='g_groups_join_limit' value='-1' size='30' class='input_text' />

</td>

</tr>

</table>

</div>

</div>

I do see that it is tabbed just after the shoutbox, so I will try and move it around/disable the shoutbox, to see if the problem does not maybe surface from there.

I see what is happening here, it looks like IPS has changed their format for the ID on the user group setting panes. The "tabpane-GROUPS|12" on the first line should be "tab_GROUPS_12_content" for it to function properly. If you would like to setup restrictions on your site before I release the new version of the app and you have Firebug / Chrome developer console, you can removed the "display:none" attribute from your groups tab and it should pop up. If that doesn't make any sense to you, don't worry about it, I'll start working on fixing these bugs soon.