(RSyvarth) Social Groups

rsyvarth

found a strange typo..

post-149125-0-79231700-1311297888_thumb.

Also is there any kind of notification to the group owner that someone is waiting for approval?

Where did you take that screen shot??

For the notification, yes, there is a notification titled "Notify me of new members pending approval in Social Groups which I moderate" which will notify group owners / moderators when there is a new unapproved member in their group.

Is it possible for users to show or hide what social groups users are apart of - or on the forum posts under their picture?...

Or not display that at all in that location.

Yes, the hook in the /Extras/ folder in the Social Groups file you downloaded will display the groups which someone is a member of on the forum under their profile image. There isn't currently a member control that would allow an individual member decide whether they want it to be displayed on their profile though.

Where did you take that screen shot??

For the notification, yes, there is a notification titled "Notify me of new members pending approval in Social Groups which I moderate" which will notify group owners / moderators when there is a new unapproved member in their group.

oh i see now - well sorta..

post-149125-0-77157100-1311298969_thumb.

and checking any box doesn't save.

Ok, I am glad that fixed it.

I will try to see if I can fix some of these issues tonight, but I have to pack, so it may need to wait for Monday..

EDIT: If you find any more issues, i would appreciate if you reported them here so I can track the bugs more efficiently.

can't turn it on right now as as the hook will make the forum index display <array> need a fix soon, i had did a soft announcement and just after had to turn it off. :/

Sorry for not replying yesterday, it was pretty late by the time I got home and I just needed to rest.

Anyways, I have responded to your bug in the tracker, it would be best to deal with this issue there.

rsyvarth
first, kudos for this application :)

second, i'd like to report a few bugs: (I'm using 3.1.4 + groups v1.0 and cannot upgrade for a few weeks)

- if a member (admin invited) leaves the group, the admin cannot invite the user again

- even if I add some news, none of them shows up on the group index for any userlevel /stating `There are no news articles yet... ` but it shows pagination according to the number of news/

- i created a group with a normal user (that became owner ofcoz) the forum-member permissions allows topic creation, group permission allows topic creation however i cannot create new topic with ANY usergroup (even with globaladmin)

how can I fix these? :)

Thanks!

rsyvarth

first, kudos for this application [img]

[/img]

second, i'd like to report a few bugs: (I'm using 3.1.4 + groups v1.0 and cannot upgrade for a few weeks)

- if a member (admin invited) leaves the group, the admin cannot invite the user again

This is the case whether the user who sent the invite is the admin or not. This was put in place to avoid "spam" invites from being sent, once the user is invited, they can keep on using the same invite indefinitely. So if you would like to re-invite that same user after they leave, you can go to the invites page in the group management section, copy the link for his invite and resend it to him. I may come up with a more elegant solution later, but for now this should work.

- even if I add some news, none of them shows up on the group index for any userlevel /stating `There are no news articles yet... ` but it shows pagination according to the number of news/

- i created a group with a normal user (that became owner ofcoz) the forum-member permissions allows topic creation, group permission allows topic creation however i cannot create new topic with ANY usergroup (even with globaladmin)

These two are related, I believe what happened was you created the group before you setup the permissions in the ACP, thus the permissions are still wrong in this group. Try creating a new group and see if the same issues arise. If you really want to keep your existing group you can edit the forum permissions of the group's forum in the Forum tab on the ACP and make it match the permission grid you setup for the Social Groups app (I doubt that sentence makes any sense).

I hope that addresses your problems! (Just FYI, there is a v1.0.1 of Social Groups out which fixes an issue that occurs when you have a large number of groups (40+) and try to use VNC)

-Robert

NOTICE: Some of you are experiencing issues with the templates not installing / upgrading for this app on version 1.2.0+, this is a bug in IPB 3.2.0 so as far as I know there is nothing I can do about it right now. If I get a reasonable solution then I will let you guys know what you can do to fix it, otherwise we will just have to wait for IPB 3.2.1.

Thanks for your patience,
Robert

Hello, I have spent my first few minutes with the module and it looks really amazing, i am tempted to use it on my site, I am just a bit worried that it would take activity from forums and blogs as people will start using groups instead (but if they do then it is probably ok anyway :) ), It would help to know experience of other users of this script, how has the presence of this module changed the behaviour of your users?

I have written down several notes regarding my experience with the module.

1. Creation of a new group. I think it would be great if it could be stepped process like we know from e.g. member registration, in the 2nd step the owner could upload the photo of the group and everything would be more straightforward
2. The difference between a news and discussion is not big, there might be some differentiation between these two in the forum view
3. The group navigation block has many links which I had to focus and think to understand where will they take me. maybe some simplification, sorting, grouping would help
4. it would be great to be able to search the group directory
5. it would be great if any of the nice blocks with group thumbnails could be used on IP.Board index.

It is a very nice and powerful module :)

I plan on including Calendar and Gallery integration eventually.

Great, that was my first thought after installing and inspecting the functions of the app. My thinkings of those integration functions are for

Calendar
  • automatic creation of group calendar named like the group
  • the ability for the members to create events (maybe linked with an automatic created topic) in this calendar with the group controls
  • sidepanel with upcoming group calendar events

Gallery
  • automatic creation of a group album with write permission on this album for group members
  • panel with latest group album pictures

Integrating these functions would be great.

Hello, I have spent my first few minutes with the module and it looks really amazing, i am tempted to use it on my site, I am just a bit worried that it would take activity from forums and blogs as people will start using groups instead (but if they do then it is probably ok anyway [img]

[/img] ), It would help to know experience of other users of this script, how has the presence of this module changed the behaviour of your users?

I have written down several notes regarding my experience with the module.

1. Creation of a new group. I think it would be great if it could be stepped process like we know from e.g. member registration, in the 2nd step the owner could upload the photo of the group and everything would be more straightforward

2. The difference between a news and discussion is not big, there might be some differentiation between these two in the forum view

3. The group navigation block has many links which I had to focus and think to understand where will they take me. maybe some simplification, sorting, grouping would help

Here is my experience since I was involved in the testing and roll out of the social groups:

yes, the group discussion (aka forum) does take away from the general discussion but it also helps to focus on areas where some members are more interested. The blogs don't seem to take away anything since they are individual-based. Of course, if you have the settings enabled for blogs, you can have several members post on the blogs so in a sense, you could make a group blog but from my experience, groups are better suited to a focused forum discussion than for a group-type blog. Let the individuals stay with their blogs.

I think the group creation process is very straight forward. It really only asks you for one screen for information and the group is created. Think of it from the other point of view, if people were prompted to submit a logo and a banner ... that takes a lot of thinking and maybe they are not sure just yet what logo or banner they want to add.

I feel your pain about the difference between news and the forum discussion since they both reside in the group discussion area, essentially. The best part about the news is that it is featured on the group main page and group members can immediately read the latest news. In the 3.2 release, there was supposed to be a tag feature that would essentially show the news posts as just that, when you reviewed all the posts in the group discussion area. I don't know when Robert might be implementing that or how but I am looking at using this mod [Advanced Tags & Prefixes] in our installation to help differentiate the news items.

As far as the group navigation sidebar block, don't forget that you are seeing that as either a group creator or as a global moderator and therefore you are seeing a much bigger menu than your regular members would for a group. I think the layout makes good sense without getting overly detailed. We have tried to include explanatory tutorials paragraphs to guide people as they go through the navigation sidebar block.

The Group Directory is totally and completely searchable. How did you miss that. Click on the Group Directory link and you can search for any term or group name!!!

There is a function in the ACP to allow you to show the latest groups on the forum index page... but the thumbnails are so big that it would be unmanageable if you tried to include the thumbnails there too.

- Brian

Great, that was my first thought after installing and inspecting the functions of the app. My thinkings of those integration functions are for

Calendar

• the ability for the members to create events (maybe linked with an automatic created topic) in this calendar with the group controls

Integrating these functions would be great.

Here is my take on your feedback:

As a worldwide community, we already have 11 calendars. To have a feature like you suggest, creating a calendar for every group would mean 11 existing calendars plus another 28 group calendars. To me that is mind boggling. What I provided as feedback to Robert was having the ability to "snag" a calendar item from an existing calendar, that could be displayed on the group home page.

As far as having the ability to create events based on more expanded group permissions, wow, that is getting soooooooooooooo complicated ... I guess I would suggest just having a moderated approach for existing calendars where events can be approved or disapproved before they are published, which is a feature in IPB already.

As far as a sidepanel for calendar events, yes I totally agree with you that this feature would be a wonderful addition to social groups.

- Brian

okay different forum target groups, different thinkings about the features. our forums will use the social groups maybe not in the way as it is targeted by most users here, but very close to it.

for us it would not be a problem to have a calendar instance per group, but i'm convinced that the "snag" thing would also do this job.

Surfboy,

thank you for your comments..

As to the Searchability of the Groups, I could find the Search option after clicking on the Social Groups tab, but once you are in your own group and clock on Group Directory, you see a list which is not searchable (unless I am wrong). maybe the IP Search option could be linked to Search Groups.

In my installation I would like members not to be able to use the top banners (not to break the graphics of the pages too much), but Group images only, is that possible?

Furher I think the module wherever possible should copy the graphics of the IP.Board, for example the block of the Latest members should match say the block of latest visitors of the IP.Blog. For the same reason I would expect this block to be in the right column. (together with latest posts). Is this configurable?

The Owner information could probably show an avatar of the owner.

It woudl be great if the URLs would be friendly so that instead of http://demo.beyondforge.com/index.php/groups/show/79-architecture-of-the-middle-east/ we would have http://demo.beyondforge.com/groups/79-architecture-of-the-middle-east/

Should possibly the news and the other posts be differentiated by showing the avatar of the group instead?

Just few ideas :)

5. it would be great if any of the nice blocks with group thumbnails could be used on IP.Board index.

1. I may add steps at a later point if the group creation if it ends up becoming more complex with more initial options, but right now I am trying to keep the groups creation process as simple as possible. I might make it so it has some sort of process for "group customization" at some point. In that case there would be a notification with a message like "This group is 75% complete, go here to complete your customization" or something like that.
2. I plan to use the tags system in 3.2 to separate the news topics from the standard topics within the group. I would make a subforum in the group forum for news, but I think having 2 forums for every group would be a little bit excessive.
3. For most users there are only 4 links in the sidebar, only the group owners get all of the links, but I can see how they would be a little bit confusing / overwhelming at first. I may see if I can combine some of the management pages to simplify the system a little bit.
4. - I'll cover this later in the post -
5. Are you suggesting that the group logo be shown on the "Latest Groups" sidebar hook in the forum index? If so, that can definitely be implemented in a later version.

Calendar

Gallery

• automatic creation of a group album with write permission on this album for group members
  • panel with latest group album pictures

I have plans for integration with both the calendar and gallery as Surferboy explained. I am not quite sure how I am going to integrate it because I do not want the app configuration to get too much more complex, but I will work something out. There is a lot that needs to be done before I can work on these integration, so it may be awhile before these features start coming out.

okay different forum target groups, different thinkings about the features. our forums will use the social groups maybe not in the way as it is targeted by most users here, but very close to it.

for us it would not be a problem to have a calendar instance per group, but i'm convinced that the "snag" thing would also do this job.

I don't think that groups really affect the activity on your site, it will just move it into different areas...

I will probably end up just pulling specific entries in the calendar, that seems like the most logical way to do it.

Surfboy,

thank you for your comments..

As to the Searchability of the Groups, I could find the Search option after clicking on the Social Groups tab, but once you are in your own group and clock on Group Directory, you see a list which is not searchable (unless I am wrong). maybe the IP Search option could be linked to Search Groups.

You can search the group from the Group Directory, if you click on "Filter Groups" you can search and order the groups. I do plan on integrating it with IPB's search functionality eventually though.. it just isn't at the top of my list right now.

In my installation I would like members not to be able to use the top banners (not to break the graphics of the pages too much), but Group images only, is that possible?

I am not entirely sure what you mean but if you only want to allow them to upload a logo for their group and not a banner, that is possible. You can disable the ability to upload / user banners and logos independently.

Furher I think the module wherever possible should copy the graphics of the IP.Board, for example the block of the Latest members should match say the block of latest visitors of the IP.Blog. For the same reason I would expect this block to be in the right column. (together with latest posts). Is this configurable?

This isn't currently configurable, but I am going to start a pretty large overhaul of the app soon which will allow for this to be configured along with a lot of other cool stuff that I will cover later after I actually have some working mockups.

The Owner information could probably show an avatar of the owner.

Are you talking about the the left sidebar on the group homepage? because that isn't just owner information..

It woudl be great if the URLs would be friendly so that instead of

http://demo.beyondfo...he-middle-east/

we would have

http://demo.beyondforge.com/groups/79-architecture-of-the-middle-east/

I will try to do that in the next version..

Should possibly the news and the other posts be differentiated by showing the avatar of the group instead?

I am going to be using the tag system for that, I think it will be more differentiating that an avatar, and it will also be searchable.

I found a bug deleting a group and its forum (table "forum_tracker" is no more with 3.2)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: anytime

Error: 1146 - Table 'ipb_forum_tracker' doesn't exist

IP Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - /admin/index.php?app=groups&module=groups&section=groups&do=dodelete&g_id=23

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mySQL query error: DELETE FROM ipb_forum_tracker WHERE forum_id=932

.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

| File                                                           			| Function                                                                  	| Line No.      	|

|----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------|

| admin/applications_addon/other/groups/modules_admin/groups/groups.php  	| [db_main_mysql].delete                                                    	| 788   			|

'----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------'

| admin/applications_addon/other/groups/modules_admin/groups/groups.php  	| [admin_groups_groups_groups].projectDoDelete                              	| 119   			|

'----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------'

| admin/sources/base/ipsController.php                           			| [admin_groups_groups_groups].doExecute                                    	| 299   			|