(RSyvarth) Social Groups

rsyvarth

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to clarify on what the issue is and who it affects, the bug was an issue with the limit some browsers have on the number of cookies which can be set by one domain. If you had more than about 40 groups on your site, the view new content page would set more cookies than these browsers would allow, which in turn removed the cookies for your session, logging you out.

Anyways, I have circumvented IPB's method for checking forum passwords so there is no longer a need to set that many cookies. I will be releasing this fix sometime next week after i am sure that it will not cause any more issues.

I highly doubt that many of you will be running into this issue before then, but if you do, I will send you the fix.

I also plan to put out a 3.2 compatible version of this app soon for all of you that are waiting for that. The first release will only be a compatibility release, but I will start adding new features soon after.

Just to clarify on what the issue is and who it affects, the bug was an issue with the limit some browsers have on the number of cookies which can be set by one domain. If you had more than about 40 groups on your site, the view new content page would set more cookies than these browsers would allow, which in turn removed the cookies for your session, logging you out.

Anyways, I have circumvented IPB's method for checking forum passwords so there is no longer a need to set that many cookies. I will be releasing this fix sometime next week after i am sure that it will not cause any more issues.

I highly doubt that many of you will be running into this issue before then, but if you do, I will send you the fix.

I also plan to put out a 3.2 compatible version of this app soon for all of you that are waiting for that. The first release will only be a compatibility release, but I will start adding new features soon after.

Looking forward to the 3.2 release :)

Is it possible that members of a social group could get a custom personal email address and respond or post messages (kind of like BaseCamp)

That is out of the scope of this application unfortunately. Sorry. I am not even sure how you would make something like that work practically since they could be responding to one of many topics..

Social Groups 1.2.0 has been released! This is a compatibility release for IPB 3.2, there are no major feature changes included. The entire app has been reskinned to fit in with IPB 3.2 though.

You can grab the download here:

I am going to be away from Friday until Monday, so if you find any bugs with this version of Social Groups please report them to the Tracker and I will take care of it when I return.

EDIT:

I also just released version 1.0.1 which fixed various issues with the VNC system when you had more than 40 groups or so.

Social Groups 1.2.0 has been released! This is a compatibility release for IPB 3.2, there are no major feature changes included. The entire app has been reskinned to fit in with IPB 3.2 though.

You can grab the download here:

I am going to be away from Friday until Monday, so if you find any bugs with this version of Social Groups please report them to the

Tracker

and I will take care of it when I return.

Have you also updated the files for 3.1 that were causing VNC issues ?

Group Forum doesn't play well with Global Message Mod

Can you give me a link to that mod so I can update my app to work with it?

Also, if you could answer my question above, that would be swell.

EDIT: I believe I found what you were discussing, I think the best way to deal with that global message hook would be to simply drag it so that it is above "(RSyvarth) Social Groups Forum" on your hooks list in the ACP. The issue is that they both use the same hook point, so if the Global Message is below it on the list, it will end up inside of the group's forum, thus causing the issues.

Here is a screen shot of what it looks like for me after rearranging the hooks into the proper order.

%7Boption%7D

Can an existing forum be turned into a social group?

Yes and no. It can be done, but it will require some database work to be done as well as some setting adjustments. If you are not comfortable working with your database manually, please send me a PM and I will assist you further.

The other (easier) option would be to make a new group, then just simply move all of the posts over from your old forum to the new one which is created for your group.

Archived