(RSyvarth) Social Groups

rsyvarth

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I plan on including Calendar and Gallery integration eventually. Currently I am working on re-doing a good amount of the backend framework to make the entire application easily integrated with other applications with an addon. It should allow for other developers to integrate their applications to be compatible with Social Groups without requiring the core of the application to be edited. It will also enable me to integrate Social Groups with various other IPS applications more easily and efficiently.

I am aware that my server is down right now (and has been for like 8 hours at this point), apparently there was a rather large DDOS attack on it and it is being restored from a backup currently. It should be back up in a few hours.. sorry for the inconvenience.

The make it so Guests can access existing groups you will have to edit the permissions on each forum which has been created by the Social Groups application and make sure that Guests have the permissions you want them to have. After you are done with that, you will need to go to each group (on the front end, not the ACP) and go to Manage Group > Manage Permissions and ensure that the group's permissions are set to allow non members to use the forum.

Let me know if you need more specific instructions.

When I view each group on the frontend (not the ACP), I don't see any link for "Manage Permissions" ? Where exactly is this located ? Is it possible it only shows to Groups owner and not admin ? In "Manage Groups" in the ACP, I don't see any area to edit individual forum permissions.

Make sure your add yourself as a moderator for the Social Groups application under ACP > Social Groups > Moderators. After you are a moderator you will be able to Manage each group's permissions on the front end.

For editing the Group's Forum Permissions, that is done via the same method which you would use to manage any other forum's permissions. Go to the Forum tab, and under the options for a forum there should be a "Manage Permissions" option.

I hope that makes it a bit clearer.

Make sure your add yourself as a moderator for the Social Groups application under ACP > Social Groups > Moderators. After you are a moderator you will be able to Manage each group's permissions on the front end.

For editing the Group's Forum Permissions, that is done via the same method which you would use to manage any other forum's permissions. Go to the Forum tab, and under the options for a forum there should be a "Manage Permissions" option.

I hope that makes it a bit clearer.

That was the issue! Got things all sorted now, thanks!

Note: The above issue has been resolved.

Just so you guys are aware, I am going to begin working on a 3.2 compatibility release for this application soon, as well as a 1.0.0 version that should be "stable" that will be compatible with 3.1.x very soon.

I have just released Social Groups version 1.0.0! This should be the first stable release of the Social Groups application. From this point on all new development will only be 3.2 compatible. If any major bugs are found in the 1.0.0 release I will still support it and put out updates, but there will be no new features in the 3.1.4 version of the app. Keep your eyes open for the 3.2 compatible versions of this application! They will be coming out soon!

Download the latest version here!

EDIT: Sorry if you manage to download 1.0.0 within the last few minutes, I forgot to increase the version number, so you were probably unable to install it. All should be better now!

I have just released Social Groups version 1.0.0! This should be the first stable release of the Social Groups application. From this point on all new development will only be 3.2 compatible. If any major bugs are found in the 1.0.0 release I will still support it and put out updates, but there will be no new features in the 3.1.4 version of the app. Keep your eyes open for the 3.2 compatible versions of this application! They will be coming out soon!

Download the latest version here!

EDIT: Sorry if you manage to download 1.0.0 within the last few minutes, I forgot to increase the version number, so you were probably unable to install it. All should be better now!

Downloaded and installed, thanks!!

You can do that, but it may not to be as restrictive as you may like currently.

You can make it so only User Group 3 (UG3) can make groups.

You can disable Hidden / Private groups so they cannot create hidden groups

The permissions of each individual group can be set so you do not have to join the group to use the forum, but by default you will have to join the group to use the forum

If you trust the members of UG3, then you should not have to worry about them giving moderation permissions to members of the group (UG1 or UG2). They will have the ability to promote members of UG1 and UG2 to moderation positions though...

I think I covered all of that. That can all be achieved, but it may require some vigilant moderation by you / your staff to ensure everything stays the way it should.

I may add features later that would allow this to be set up entirely by the system (eg. you wouldn't have to moderate it at all)

Happen to have any news about this? :)

Happen to have any news about this? :smile:

Unfortunately I haven't implemented this level of control into the application. It just seems a little bit too complex for most admins / installations. If other people end up asking for similar features, I may end up doing it in the core product. Otherwise I could do it as custom work for you if you wish for a small fee.

Will the Mass PM feature eventually make use of the messenger in 3.2 (and accommodate replies)?

If the app tried to handle that kind of request, you're looking at jamming the entire messenger system with upwards of 2 - 3,000 replies since a pm goes out to admins/admins and mods/all members

seems like a total disaster to me

I think a mass pm with a link to a forum topic makes the most sense if you are looking for "replies"

If the app tried to handle that kind of request, you're looking at jamming the entire messenger system with upwards of 2 - 3,000 replies since a pm goes out to admins/admins and mods/all members

seems like a total disaster to me

I think a mass pm with a link to a forum topic makes the most sense if you are looking for "replies"

Mass PM to group members, not to all members of the forum.

Mass PM to group members, not to all members of the forum.

He was talking about all of the members of a group. Putting all of the members into a single conversation where they all could reply would cause many issues, mainly with larger groups. For instance, let us say you have a group of 300 members and you want to send out a mass PM to your entire group, now if you could all respond to the PM then you would have one message with 300 participants. Firstly, I am certain that that would be over anyone's limit to the number of members they are aloud to invite to a PM, secondly it would be a mess with a ton of notifications for everyone in the group. Even if all of that works out fine, I don't know of the PM system can even handle that many people in one conversation... it could potentially be a disaster.

So the solution used in Social Groups is to use the PM system more like an email than a private message. It sends a single PM to each member but they have no one to respond to since they are the only ones in the conversation. So as Surferboy suggested you could send in that PM a link to a topic where they can discuss the PM if they wish, this will allow for the discussion you are looking for without any the issues which could arise from a massive PM conversation.

Will the Mass PM feature eventually make use of the messenger in 3.2 (and accommodate replies)?

It already uses the messenger system, it just doesn't allow for replies.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately we've encountered a significant problem.

Many IE users (and a few Safari users) were reporting that they were getting logged out of the site when clicking on the VNC link; I had put this down to IE being IE and I've been encouraging users to adopt different browsers. After escalation this to IPS via a ticket we have narrowed it down to the Social Groups hook being the issue. Further investigation has shown that if someone is a member of a Group and uses the VNC link they get booted out.

With 30+ Groups of up to 100+ people in each I'm really reluctant to abandon the Groups concept; is this something that can be fixed?

Unfortunately we've encountered a significant problem.

Many IE users (and a few Safari users) were reporting that they were getting logged out of the site when clicking on the VNC link; I had put this down to IE being IE and I've been encouraging users to adopt different browsers. After escalation this to IPS via a ticket we have narrowed it down to the Social Groups hook being the issue. Further investigation has shown that if someone is a member of a Group and uses the VNC link they get booted out.

With 30+ Groups of up to 100+ people in each I'm really reluctant to abandon the Groups concept; is this something that can be fixed?

I am not entirely sure what would be causing that only in IE.. I know of one small issue in the VNC hook, but I do not think that it would be causing your described issue. I am going to send you a PM with a fixed file to see if that helps out, if not I'll look into the issue further to try to determine what is going on exactly.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Archived