Get rid of friends and make it a follow system

7SiN

Dude, they just got the friends system working the way it should in the 3.0 system where it is mutual instead of one sided which would be your "follow" system. I MUCH prefer the friend system because I like to show who I actually associate with. I would be highly upset if the friend system got sacked for a Twitter system. I don't "follow" people unless I'm on Twitter. I befriend them.

Dude, they just got the friends system working the way it should in the 3.0 system where it is mutual instead of one sided which would be your "follow" system. I MUCH prefer the friend system because I like to show who I actually associate with. I would be highly upset if the friend system got sacked for a Twitter system. I don't "follow" people unless I'm on Twitter. I befriend them.

But maybe they don't want to befriend you. Please read my last comment about digg system though.

I feel the same way you do.

I read your last post. It still isn't something that I want or think is worth it. I am against having a dual system for the same reasons though because all you do is add server load because now we have to add settings for followers "allow people to follow me?" (because we all know that's the first thing that is going to come up if the system is put in place) and what "following" entails, whether it be posts, files, statuses and then you have to add how your notified and things. It's just a messy system that doesn't need to be implemented. I much prefer having mutual friends.

I repeat the fact that I don't follow people unless I'm on Twitter. I befriend them.

Well currently friends are mostly useless as there is no real advantage to adding people as a friend. I would like to see some more functionality in the friending system aswell...

I've been saying that for years. The first functionality I would like to see and have the ability to 'show profile to friends only'.

I read your last post. It still isn't something that I want or think is worth it. I am against having a dual system for the same reasons though because all you do is add server load because now we have to add settings for followers "allow people to follow me?" (because we all know that's the first thing that is going to come up if the system is put in place) and what "following" entails, whether it be posts, files, statuses and then you have to add how your notified and things. It's just a messy system that doesn't need to be implemented. I much prefer having mutual friends.

I repeat the fact that I don't follow people unless I'm on Twitter. I befriend them.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the massive load it will put on the server :rolleyes:

I'm not even sure there would all the separate permissions. Why would you not want someone to "follow" what you are doing on your site? Are you doing something secretive? Your argument doesn't make much sense and doesn't promote more user activity.

I guess we'll have to wait until 3.2 comes out so I can have my coder(s) modify it to work better than the current system; and then I can see how activity goes from there. This was only a solution to the current broken friends system which has been rendered useless on almost every forum site on the internet. And if people didn't like twitter or facebook, then those sites would be as massive and have some of the best user activity stats on the net. There must be something to it... :whistle:

GameFAQs recently added to their boards features somewhat like what's being described here.

Someone can send you a friend request, or choose to follow you. There are separate lists of users for whether you follow them, and then for if they accepted/rejected a friend request, if you did, etc.

That may be far too many categories for IP.Board and for the users to understand simply, but it is an interesting system and one that should be learned from. Friendship should ALWAYS be a mutual occurrence, but following should be allowed.

Imho the current friend system is pretty useless. It is all about (finding, sharing, and creating) content.
If members want to connect, pm's and the forums should suffice. I am however for "following" content which is already readily available in 3.2, why not follow content from specific members? On a last note, let the members connect trough other channels if they deem necessary. Work your niche there is no need to try to monopolise every aspect.

Seems to me that Friends is a little better in 3.2.

Status Updates turn into Profile Comments and anyone can comment in your Profile or a Comment in your Profile.

If you manage to find the Community Status Updates page, you can show all Status Updates in a list or filter the list to only have your Friends Updates in the list. There probably should be a profile setting that only allows your Friends to make Comments in your Profile.

Anyway, there seems to be the beginnings of a Facebook Friends Wall/News Feed here.

I'll still disable the entire feature on my site (except maybe Profile Comments and Notification of Profile Comments) since it is just clutter to me. But, this might be useful on some sites.

While there are some who wholeheartedly embrace the social networking aspect of Facebook, there are many who do not. The majority of my users hate Facebook with a passion (myself included) and do not want to see a push towards who's friends with who on our site. My site will not revolve around user profiles. And honestly, if IPB were to start evolving towards that, I'd drop it in a heartbeat.

While there are some who wholeheartedly embrace the social networking aspect of Facebook, there are many who do not. The majority of my users hate Facebook with a passion (myself included) and do not want to see a push towards who's friends with who on our site. My site will not revolve around user profiles. And honestly, if IPB were to start evolving towards that, I'd drop it in a heartbeat.

Are you kidding? Who said IPB was going to evolve around that?! L2R.

It's only giving users more options. Though your site may not use it at all, I can see many sites that do. And just bc you are the admin of your site, doesn't mean you speak for the opinion of all your members. Facebook has the highest amount of returning users with a very high amount of time spent on their site on average. Maybe it's just me, but I would like to embrace that if my members want that.

I'm telling you this right now, I'm definitely not going to your this part of the software myself. But it will be there for my users, which we should be tailoring our sites (to a point) for them. It's those that think that their opinions are the only ones that matter on their site and they take the site the direction that the members don't want....those are the ones that fail.

I have over 300,000 users on my site and this idea is a popular one. Whether or not you use this system, I don't care. But to say you are going to drop this software in a heartbeat is utter stupidity because you won't have to use these options if you don't want, but if you have them enabled, those options are there for your users to utilize in addition to your main site. I just don't get the resistance on things that can help promote user activity and I can't believe the shear hatred towards something like this, especially saying you are going to drop this software if they do include this. Then what are you going to use? vB? They have Social Groups which is very similar to what Fb has. XF? They have a follow system like twitter. All the free ones? Good luck.

:rolleyes:

Is it just me or have the feedback topics become so much fun to read lately because of all the "Buhu, it can't be named <INSERT FEATURENAME>" and "If IPB start developing more social networking features I'm gonna jump the ship"? One word for you(or rather; three): LOL! :D

I'm in agreement with 7SiN. The current friends-system doesn't really give you anything. It says on your profile that you're "friends" and you recieve notifications for their status updates. Wow, huge benefits right there of befriending... erh wait..

IMO perhaps have a "mode" system like the reputation modes, so either you can have the "Friends" -mode or the "Follow" -mode(or whatever it would be called), or both(yes, both at the same time). Details would have to be worked on but I think it could turn out quite nicely. That way people can become friends or follow anonymously. If people don't want other people to follow them, they simply turn profile privacy so that only friends can view it(hence no one else can view their profile and be able to follow them).

The can keep it as "friends" but just give us a few more options. Like "disable reciprocal friendship? y/n?" would be perfect. It just adds one more option and then people can use it as a friend module or a follow module. Then we just need a few more options that will allow us to keep track of our friends or people we follow.

Either way, I've already had my coder start making this for my site. It's up to IPS whether they think this feature will work. IMO, it is a great addition to almost any community (the additional options to keep track of friends/followed people). I just know my site will be more active with it and whether they implement it or not, I'll still have it.

Archived