3.2 Posting Options - Post as DRAFT

Ocean West

I noticed on the recent blog post the screens shot regarding the new editor and the posting options over on the right

I noticed Topic Open Time & Topic Close Time...

%7Boption%7D

Is there any thought to include a DRAFT option so that a thread can remain HIDDEN in draft mode until a certain time. (kind of like the blogs)

I can see how you may wish to restrict replies after a point in time.

I can't imagine any purpose for the current settings - why would you post something and prevent replies until a certain time?

I can't imagine any purpose for the current settings - why would you post something and prevent replies until a certain time?

Something I agree with. It would be much better to make the topic visible at a set time and that set time becomes the timestamp for the topic so that it appears correctly in search.

I think save as draft should be a completely separate function, available to all users within the text editor.

I would like this as well. Great for setting up a contest that starts at a particular date and time. My site has fortnightly challenges starting at 8.00 p.m. Saturday night. Having this option would mean I wouldn't need to be around to make the topic visible.

3DKiwi

Not saying I agree with the feature but one possible application for that setting could be:

You want to post a preview topic for something you're about to launch but don't want any comments until the weekend is over so that everyone has a chance to check out the preview and thus making sure the comments/feedback are good.

You can just hide it after you post it. Pretty simple!

So others can see it in the split second while you're scrambling to hide it? Great idea!

I'm not sure if it's there now, but an option to at least hide it while posting would be nice. Also agree that I publish date would be awesome as well.

Let's not go and confuse ourselves here. As per the above posts, there are two things that are despartetly needed in IP.Board. They are quite separate things, but equally vital. These are:

1. Save as draft - i.e., ability to write and save a post as a draft only and return to it later to edit/publish it (possibly admin-only option?)
  2. Publish at a specified date/time - i.e., ability to write and save a post but not have it visible/published AT ALL until the specified date and time (definitely admin-only option!). This is available in IP.Content - why not in IP.Board?? The "Topic Open Time" is a complete waste of time, IMHO, and not nearly as important as a "Topic Publish Time".

Let's not go and confuse ourselves here. As per the above posts, there are two things that are despartetly needed in IP.Board. They are quite separate things, but equally vital. These are:

1. Save as draft - i.e., ability to write and save a post as a draft only and return to it later to edit/publish it (possibly admin-only option?)
  2. Publish at a specified date/time - i.e., ability to write and save a post but not have it visible/published AT ALL until the specified date and time (definitely admin-only option!). This is available in IP.Content - why not in IP.Board?? The "Topic Open Time" is a complete waste of time, IMHO, and not nearly as important as a "Topic Publish Time".

/sign

I'm okay with this feature as long as I as a moderator/admin can't see the drafts.. or at least elect not to see them. With 1,000+ people on at any given moment the last thing I want is to see a boatload of unfinished draft topics.

Does this mean spammers could sign up and set up a load of topics to start at 2/3 in the morning when no moderators are around?

Only if you gave the member group permissions to do so. I would only have it so that Admins could post in advance and the topic become visible at a certain time.

3DKiwi

on such a feature I would make it so that only users > X number of posts (or in a certain group) can actually save as draft, or a delayed post.

I am in favor of giving newbies as few as "features" a possible and reward them as they work towards being a contributing member of the forums.

on such a feature I would make it so that only users > X number of posts (or in a certain group) can actually save as draft, or a delayed post.

I am in favor of giving newbies as few as "features" a possible and reward them as they work towards being a contributing member of the forums.

I think to be honest, like 3Dkiwi says it would need to be admin only. You dont want everyday users with this sort of valuable feature

• 1 month later...

[list=1] [*]Save as draft - i.e., ability to write and save a post as a draft only and return to it later to edit/publish it (possibly admin-only option?) [*]Publish at a specified date/time - i.e., ability to write and save a post but not have it visible/published AT ALL until the specified date and time (definitely admin-only option!). This is available in IP.Content - why not in IP.Board?? The "Topic Open Time" is a complete waste of time, IMHO, and not nearly as important as a "Topic Publish Time".

[/list]

^ This, please.

[list=1] [*]Save as draft - i.e., ability to write and save a post as a draft only and return to it later to edit/publish it (possibly admin-only option?) [*]Publish at a specified date/time - i.e., ability to write and save a post but not have it visible/published AT ALL until the specified date and time (definitely admin-only option!). This is available in IP.Content - why not in IP.Board?? The "Topic Open Time" is a complete waste of time, IMHO, and not nearly as important as a "Topic Publish Time".

[/list]

I agree with this one aswell except I think Topic Publish Time is an extremely viable feature so please do not remove that.

Archived