3.2 Poll

TracyIsland

Wall vs. Status Updates?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For those who viewed the 3.2 preview on the first day, the User Profile displayed five or six tabs. The first was User Information. The second was Wall. The third was About Me.

That night, the preview was taken down and the next day, it reemerged with the tabs changed, this time showing User Information and then Status Updates.

Wall is becoming such a common term that it is instantly recognizable. Do you think the usability is better to show Wall or do you think Status Updates is better?

To be honest if you wanted wall then send them to facebook, there are legal implications when it comes to using names, so I assume they are being careful on what they use. Therefore I don't think the poll is relevant as they will not change it.

It's likely just a quick change in the Language settings. Can't you just call it whatever you want?

Fair point. I guess I was trying to gauge the public sentiment towards the word wall, as it being instantly recognizable and a better choice for web and community useability.

Bah yea no wall... Wtf everyone wants everything to be facebook/myspace now days is beyond me... Facebook is lame & full of twits spewing out useless information...

IPB (ikonb... etc ) was here long before facebook and sets it's own path imo.... Down with facebook and it's insidious tentacles crawling into everyone's software :lol:

IPB (ikonb... etc ) was here long before facebook and sets it's own path imo.... Down with facebook and it's insidious tentacles crawling into everyone's software :lol:

LOL ... oh, look it is Mothra and it is being attacked by Facebook!

To be honest if you wanted wall then send them to facebook, there are legal implications when it comes to using names, so I assume they are being careful on what they use. Therefore I don't think the poll is relevant as they will not change it.

I am sure I was running a graffiti wall on my forums long before facebook.

Must take facebook to court :)

If IPS were worried about trademarks, they wouldn't be calling the 3.2 Like button "Like" since Facebook has trademarked that term. Facebook wants all Like buttons to be Facebook Likes and not IP.Board Likes.

I'll be interested to see if Invision does challenge this by including a non-Facebook "Like" button in 3.2. I really hate that companies can trademark an English word and it seems like someone could challenge this trademark, and after huge legal fees, hopefully, this trademark would be shot down.

My quick search of the U.S, trademarks database didn't show Wall had be trademarked by anyone.

If IPS were worried about trademarks, they wouldn't be calling the 3.2 Like button "Like" since Facebook has trademarked that term. Facebook wants all Like buttons to be Facebook Likes and not IP.Board Likes.

I'll be interested to see if Invision does challenge this by including a non-Facebook "Like" button in 3.2. I really hate that companies can trademark an English word and it seems like someone could challenge this trademark, and after huge legal fees, hopefully, this trademark would be shot down.

My quick search of the U.S, trademarks database didn't show Wall had be trademarked by anyone.

Your quick search failed then. Facebook has an active, live, trademark on "Wall", while their trademark on "Like" is not active at this time. Pretty sure if it ever does get approved, IPS will probably re-look at it.

Your quick search failed then. Facebook has an active, live, trademark on "Wall", while their trademark on "Like" is not active at this time. Pretty sure if it ever does get approved, IPS will probably re-look at it.

You are wrong about Facebooks "Like" trademark being dead. They trademarked it numerous times for all sorts of uses including trademarking "Like" as a word mark, and the "Like" button with the thumbs up graphic combined with the word "Like" all wrapped in a button graphic. They were all trademarked in April 2010.

See U.S. Trademarks Serial Numbers: 85020083, 85020080, 85020073, and many other Live marks. I used the Search Term "Facebook" to find all Facebook's trademarks. I still couldn't find "Wall". Could you give a Serial Number of one of the Live Facebook "Wall" trademarks? I can understand how Facebook could trademark the Like button (with the thumbs up and the text in a button form), but it seems amazing to me that "Like" or "Wall" would hold up as a Word Mark or a Service Mark since they are common English words. But, from my reading of the "Like" trademarks, they are "active".

BTW, I've trademarked a few terms myself and have actually gone through the process. After you file for a trademark, there is a rather long period where others are allowed to object. If no one objects, then they publish the mark in a book and your trademark is active (and they send you a copy of the page in the book that has your trademark published). But, the trademark can still be challenged in court, and if IPB doesn't use the thumbsup and just uses the word "Like" on a button, I'd be interested in seeing if the Work Mark would hold up.

Nevermind my ramblings about the "Like" trademarks by Facebook. Upon further investigation, these marks seem to all be suspended pending the resolution of other applications by other companies that were filed first but also haven't been granted (like some company is trying to trademark a "thumbs up" graphic that looks a lot like Facebooks or another company is trying to trademark the word "ILIKE" which is similar to Facebook's word "LIKE").

Maybe Invision should file an objection to the word "LIKE" being used just incase Facebook's applications are unsuspended.

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other but "wall" always sounded silly to me. Why would I stick messages on to a wall? I might stick them to a pinboard, or whiteboard, or even in a box of some sort but I'm certain I've never pinned a message directly on to a wall :)

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other but "wall" always sounded silly to me. Why would I stick messages on to a wall? I might stick them to a pinboard, or whiteboard, or even in a box of some sort but I'm certain I've never pinned a message directly on to a wall :)

Yes, but one would write on a wall though :)

Archived