The current search system is frustrating

invisiblex_merged

right side to Seachbox "Search in forums , search in this thread , search members .."

everytime we have to click on that to get options... headeche comes . in modern days people become more lazy to click always .......

make it mouseover .. just keep mouse on it .. options should come...........

also a mouseover for notifications also will be good and painless.

Auto-suggest has nothing to do with the AJAX - the AJAX request is no more or less resource intensive than a regular request. The resource issues come into play performing multiple subsequent searches as the user changes what they are typing.

NO THANK YOU for on-hover. I find it SOO annoying, I move my mouse around a lot on the page to interact with things and I don't want menus to popup just because I accidently hovered over some link or stuff. For instance I hate the hover preview on topics, it's reeaaaallly f*cking up my forum browsing experience when going through a forum.

Luckily this hover-topic-preview is being revised in 3.2 I've heard. Haven't seen anything in the blogs about it though.

Oh and btw, I know I used capital letters in some words, that does not mean I'm angry/mad/insulting and what not since some people appears to think that. Just a note.

NO THANK YOU for on-hover. I find it SOO annoying, I move my mouse around a lot on the page to interact with things and I don't want menus to popup just because I accidently hovered over some link or stuff. For instance I hate the hover preview on topics, it's reeaaaallly f*cking up my forum browsing experience when going through a forum.

Luckily this hover-topic-preview is being revised in 3.2 I've heard. Haven't seen anything in the blogs about it though.

Oh and btw, I know I used capital letters in some words, that does not mean I'm angry/mad/insulting and what not since some people appears to think that. Just a note.

Imagine ur reading a topic .. and IPB automatically selects "Search in this topic"... and everytime you have to click on "Search on all forums" where a popup comes after 3 seconds .. which is painful considering we are living in 2011 not MSDOS days ...

Coming to topic preview ...
All hate the IPB's topic preview (not VB's) .. instead of using VB style tooptips ..they decided to make some stylish popup ..which is very annoying and flop feature of IPB. If they use simple tooltip like VB..may just change the color yellow to something .. ..and the tooltip popups goes almost unnoticed ..and is used for quick reading.

Hopefully 3.2 will be less painful and more ajaxy ..than the current. Even google has gone for AJAX .. now IPB's excuse "we dont want to use AJAX ..bcoz its too modern ..wont work"

If I search for shoutbox+patch, I get 14 hits. I have been using the '+' trick for years.

yes we know it .. but what about new users those who dont know ipb .. they just search like google

IPB is big flop in search.. who ever designed it ..must be sacked. This is our frustration ..we are very angry

Hopefully 3.2 will be less painful and more ajaxy ..than the current. Even google has gone for AJAX .. now IPB's excuse "we dont want to use AJAX ..bcoz its too modern ..wont work"

I have never... ever... heard them say "we don't want to use AJAX because it's too modern". Sounds like you're just putting words in their mouth so you can complain about it. Man you have a bad attitude.

and the IPB search is the worst thing to be made ever on internet

As has been said many, many times in relation to search complaints, the issue is that MySQL is simply not that good at searching. Have you made sure you have at least fulltext enabled? It'll still be crap, but it'll be less crap.

Just search for "shoutbox patch"

YOu will get

We could not find the issue you were trying to find

No, I get a whole pile of topics. I think that's PEBKAC - were you searching the wrong category?

Lets hope 3.2 is not this crap search.

There's nothing that can be done to improve it, short of them writing whole new indexing and search processor, like Google. The best solution is to install Sphinx, which is supported out of the box on both the Linux and Windows environments, and with both MySQL and MSSQL.

• 1 month later...

As has been said many, many times in relation to search complaints, the issue is that MySQL is simply not that good at searching. Have you made sure you have at least fulltext enabled? It'll still be crap, but it'll be less crap...

There's nothing that can be done to improve it, short of them writing whole new indexing and search processor, like Google. The best solution is to install Sphinx, which is supported out of the box on both the Linux and Windows environments, and with both MySQL and MSSQL.

Except that Spinx is not an option on non-dedicated hosted accounts.

There is a solution to this. There is always a solution. It may be to ditch MySQL, use Sphinx, or use some other off-the-shelf search solution similar to Sphinx that runs better on non-dedicated accounts.

The fulltext search helps, but it also breaks Boolean AND searches. I want to be able to switch back-and-forth between fulltext and Boolean AND searches as needed for queries. Some incremental improvement to the MySQL search (pre- or post-processor of search results) can probably be hacked.

My discussion board is not that big. It is not Google sized corpa. A linear (non-indexed) full text search through the database with a small script would even work.

I've contemplated indexing my hosted account with a local search engine running on another server, but that shouldn't be necessary. I could also just use Google, but not all discussions boards that require registration are indexed by Google. Search is a major function on a discussion board and good search should be built-in. It's more important than most other bells-and-whistles.

• 5 years later...
On 6/15/2011 at 3:27 PM, ifdef said:

Search is a major function on a discussion board and good search should be built-in. It's more important than most other bells-and-whistles.

I could not agree more!!! For those of us who run sites that are not largely just chit-chat, search is THE biggest differentiator from Facebook groups. They are absolutely essential. My complaints with the MySQL search are on record and documented here - and verified in side-by-side comparisons with MSSQL search.  

Archived