My feedback

VolvoClub

I upgraded from SMF(1.0) on my website and frankly the problems that I have now make me wonder if I made a good choice.

The things that keep me going and stop me from moving to another software is the Support Staff and their ability to solve problems and keep the customer happy. Is the best I worked with until now. Those guys and girls should get a raise everyday. :thumbsup:

The major drawback of the software is the search engine. I tried all kind of things and it's absolutely bad. If I have a topic called "problema supapa egr" and I search "problema supapa egr" or "supapa egr" or "problema egr" it wont take me near it. And maybe it's a solution on the support forums but I can't find it because the search engine is bad. Users are getting upset! Belive it or not, but some bailed out because of this!

Another problem is it's too high tech. A lot of clicking to achieve something. For example if I want to write a reply to a topic and I forgot to quote somebody, I have to click back and reply/quote his message. That's a lot of clicking...

The last problem it's with the administrator. It would be best to modularize the software, so I can disable some features I don't want. For example: I don't want the user to have an About me profile field, I don't want him to edit his notification options, and I don't want him to make any notes. Furthermore, I miss SSI.php from SMF. That was very helpful in a quick expanding of the website.

These aren't requests but please consider them before releasing the 3.2 version, because the guys are going to kill me. <_<

Thank you! :thumbsup:

The major drawback of the software is the search engine. I tried all kind of things and it's absolutely bad. If I have a topic called "problema supapa egr" and I search "problema supapa egr" or "supapa egr" or "problema egr" it wont take me near it. And maybe it's a solution on the support forums but I can't find it because the search engine is bad. Users are getting upset! Belive it or not, but some bailed out because of this!

The first problem is that MySQL does not natively support 3-letter searches. You either have to modify your MySQL configuration file, or use an alternative search engine (we support Sphinx out of the box, but it requires some technical skill and elevated server access to install). You can disable FULLTEXT searching, which would probably resolve this issue for you, at the expense of searches being more resource-intensive to the server. If you inquired with the support technician about this, I'm sure they can explain your options and the limitations of the architecture in use, etc. This is not simply an IPB limitation.

Another problem is it's too high tech. A lot of clicking to achieve something. For example if I want to write a reply to a topic and I forgot to quote somebody, I have to click back and reply/quote his message. That's a lot of clicking...

I think this is a bad example, personally (what would you propose the software do if *you* forgot to click quote exactly?), however I encourage you to submit specific suggestions on how to improve workflow in our feedback forum.

http://community.invisionpower.com/forum/298-ipboard/

If you have ideas on how to make things simpler, please do share.

The last problem it's with the administrator. It would be best to modularize the software, so I can disable some features I don't want. For example: I don't want the user to have an About me profile field, I don't want him to edit his notification options, and I don't want him to make any notes. Furthermore, I miss SSI.php from SMF. That was very helpful in a quick expanding of the website.

We have an ssi.php file. I have never used SMF so I can't compare it to your former software, but it can do things like showing posts outside of the forums, or active users outside of the forums. Again, feel free to inquire with our support staff on how to use it.

Regarding modularization, again I encourage you to post your feedback in our appropriate feedback forum so it will be considered moving forward. We are cleaning up areas of the UserCP for 3.2, but I can't promise the things you are referring to specifically would be addressed. Regardless, there will always be a 3.3 and so forth.

(For the record, I don't think we would disable the members' ability to configure their notification preferences. This is a user-level control and I think it's important for the user to determine whether they want to be notified of something, and how, but that's just my opinion.)

Archived