IPB.Board 3.2 - 1st post attachment topic preview

joelle

Whenever i see a forum where you can see an image thumbnail preview of the first post attachment, I notice that I keep on browsing the topics overview page a lot more.
It is really convenient seeing that preview topic thumbnail.

Would you like a feature like that?

example
%7Boption%7D

one more example

I can see some merit in this idea if the attachments are always images and the subject matter was large. At my sites the attachments are probably 50% images and 50% files. The images often wouldn't look that great as a mini thumbnail. So for me I wouldn't use it.

This is something that you should request a hook for. Probably not that hard to code for a competent hook coder.

3DKiwi

I would suggest that 99% of our topics have no attachment in the first post here. I would further extrapolate that most sites are in a similar scenario (this is forum software, after all). I think it would look ugly in real world usage where 9/10 topics are just an empty box "no preview image" or something.

I would suggest that 99% of our topics have no attachment in the first post here. I would further extrapolate that most sites are in a similar scenario (this is forum software, after all). I think it would look ugly in real world usage where 9/10 topics are just an empty box "no preview image" or something.

No, just put a conditional on it and don't show anything there if there is no image.

We have a couple specific forums in which members share photos and write ups of their projects. A very heavy percentage of the topics in those forums do indeed have images in the OP, it's kind of the point. Don't dismiss how much more of a role images have in conversations on the web now. :) Many people have been trained by facebook and are starting to use their smartphone more and more to take quick shots and upload them for their friends to see exactly what they are talking about in their topic.

Maybe having a hook that provides access to the first attached image (jpg, gif, png etc) would be helpful? It would certainly be VERY helpful to be able to grab that image as a default when promoting a topic to an IP.C article. ;)

James

• 1 month later...

you can kinda see on the site I work on how it would be useful.

there's no extra queries cause that slows down the site. I use last image compared to first image as stated.

it's not that hard to do, just need to rework a bunch of crap.

you can kinda see on the site I work on how it would be useful.

there's no extra queries cause that slows down the site. I use last image compared to first image as stated.

nice stalking site..... lmao

• 3 months later...

you can kinda see on the

site

I work on how it would be useful.

It would look a lot better if all images would be scaled & cropped so that they could have the same size.

Is there really no addon for this attachment preview feature?

• 1 month later...

Archived