Should be possible to move topics from search result set

TSP

3 hours ago, jp said:

surely it can't be that hard to implement. all we need is the ability to have a tick box against the search results and the moderator tools

Until you realize that search results can contain results from all different apps, which can have different moderation permission configurations and options (e.g. you can't "move" a status update). While this doesn't make the request insurmountable, there's actually a lot more to it than just slapping up some checkboxes and calling it a day in reality.

12 hours ago, bfarber said:

Until you realize that search results can contain results from all different apps, which can have different moderation permission configurations and options (e.g. you can't "move" a status update). While this doesn't make the request insurmountable, there's actually a lot more to it than just slapping up some checkboxes and calling it a day in reality.

ok, but this feature is crucial!! to be able to do mass moving etc. Really hope IPS team realise the importance of this

• 1 month later...

We submitted a support ticket to this end before I started searching the community for answers. Definitely agree this is an essential moderator function (had it on our last forum platform). 

The response to our ticket was that maybe there's a plug-in that does this. Of course, I'd prefer this to be a base function but until then, does anyone know of a plug-in that can do this? I didn't have much luck searching on my own. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/15/2018 at 5:49 PM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

The response to our ticket was that maybe there's a plug-in that does this.

Yes , but no plugin for to do this.

3 hours ago, TheWorldNewsMedia.org said:

Seeing that it is almost 9 years since the first feature request.

I hope we do not have to wait any longer. But I'm not sure if they plan to put this function.

I have just moved 150,000 post manually, which I had to do over several months. 

tired the office GIF

I seriously can't believe that I had to do it this way and that i had to waste several months of my life doing something that would have taken a day at most with this function.

still not sure how this function doesn't exist in such a feature rich software and that it hasn't been introduced.

really limits the ability to manage a forum and is one of the biggest items missing!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I plan on doing some reorganization of my forums when I move to 4.x, and not being able to mass move topics between forums is going to be a big headache.  Or anytime when I create a new forum and want to populate the new forum with the result of a search (something I've done many times in the past).  

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, pequeno said:

I am really surprised that we don't have this feature yet.

seriously GIF

That I'm having to pay another developer to add back this extremely useful functionality sucks.

On 1/18/2019 at 5:04 PM, AlexWebsites said:

I’m doing this now a little per day for the last week on one of my sites and it’s brutal. Would love to search for a keyword or phrases and move those topics accordingly in bulk. 

Sure was nice to have in 3.x, eh?

Man I really hate merging of replies.

..Al

Edited by AtariAge

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, rainstone.digital said:

Please.

I've given up on this happening.  It's been two years since my first post on this subject above, and nothing's happened yet.  Which is a shame, I've created several new forums on my site since then, and it's nigh impossible to move all the relevant threads without being able to mass moderate topics based on a search.  Really disappointed in Invision regarding this, as it was an important tool for those with large sites that have many forums and posts.

3 hours ago, bfarber said:

That's not what he meant. Jordan explicitly tracks certain things he is raising and getting more feedback on. Just to be clear lol - yes this isn't the first time this has come up.

🙏  Thank you! @bfarber 🙏

3 hours ago, Paul E. said:

Ahh... In that case, @Jordan Invision, you can file this one as follows:

i win square peg in a round hole GIF

Hahaha. 

But, in less "hahaha" news, this functionality is just unfortunately not in the cards right now. From what I gather, because search can return results from different content types, it's hard to mass-apply moderation actions to say 4 topics, 2 downloads files, 3 blog entries and 6 Pages articles.

Of course it's not a hard no, but for now we're going to have to put this on ice and revisit it once we launch 4.6 and have a few less irons in the fire. 😇 

If you're feeling frustrated about that, I feel you. If you (generally speaking to all) feel like you need more clarification, let me know please 🙏 

It's okay that it's "not right now." It's understandable that it's hard. Hard challenges like this should be considered in the roadmap as a notable gap that engineering should strive to fix. Where you see content, you should be able to moderate content.

What doesn't seem hard is providing a deselect all selected box in the moderator toolbar, and allowing checkboxes to propagate across pages of threads. Have you added that one to the list?