3.2 Email Logging : Are you making it better?

Robulosity2

So,

I know it's early in the 3.2 Dev Cycle at this stage, but one of my biggest issues with IP Board is it's fairly poor mail logging system. Currently either in PHP mail or SMTP the error data in the Email Error Logs really tell you nothing.

New Registration at Your Site

To: <helpme@Your Site>

Sent: 28 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

Subject

Hello,

You have received this email because a new user has completed their registration!

------------------------------------------------

Display name: antaddireewOrem

IP.Board Error Message: Email was not sent successfully

SMTP Error Code: No Info

SMTP Error Message: No Info

I'm currently using a Custom Class Email that was provided to me by IPS which does provide a lot of useful information (even knowing it can create some rather bloaty logs) but it would be a nice to have something slightly more verbose in terms of logging (even if it's recording the SMTP Error code like Mailbox Not found in reply to RCPT To)

Something like this would be a nice to have (The body of the message wouldn't really be needed since that for some could be a privacy violation)

503-All RCPT commands were rejected with this error:

503-Administrative prohibition

503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA

This would be pretty valuable for most people since members not getting mail can be a frequent problem and more so valuable when you factor in the Nexus Suite

Do you use SMTP? If so, it should provide more verbose logging than what you are seeing there.

Unfortunately, PHP mail has no method of providing feedback about what went wrong. It either accepts the email to send (and it may never send it, even after accepting it), or it doesn't, and that's all you can know from a software standpoint.

There were some issues with SMTP error logging in previous versions, but I believe those have been resolved now.

Do you use SMTP? If so, it should provide more verbose logging than what you are seeing there.

Unfortunately, PHP mail has no method of providing feedback about what went wrong. It either accepts the email to send (and it may never send it, even after accepting it), or it doesn't, and that's all you can know from a software standpoint.

There were some issues with SMTP error logging in previous versions, but I believe those have been resolved now.

Oh I have no expectation of you guys getting PHP Logging for that working since well PHP() Mail should in my opinion be used in a last ditch effort

I think I'll go back and test with the 3.1.4 classEmail files to see if what it does log, but I don't think it was much (granted I know how hard it would be but I'd still love to see a toggle on/off logging level for it)

Archived