Betting

Midnight Modding

Not going to go advertising mine in another topic, but just as a warning to those still interested in tournaments, mine will be released with a lot more features before that one has them and if you delete the old tables, you'll be losing old data and also he apparently didn't change the app key, so there will be issues for people switching from one to the other.

I think what I will do is release mine first with just the basic features like the other one, where I can pump it out there soon, and then I will release the new version with more areas soon after. I had been planning on delaying it until January, but now will have to get it out there quicker to compete. Sadly, most people will probably not see this and will get the other one, but oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my custom app, but I'm not really receiving enough feedback to be able to know which app I will work on next. The tournaments one is the quickest to finish... would take me not long and have more features than the other one, but I have only 1 person really asking for it. The betting app I am doing for myself regardless. And then I have ideas for a couple more apps.

Man, I'm already bored while not working on an app, so I want to for real make some more soon just out of boredom.

I had to do almost everything you can dream of within the 4.x system for the private one I made, so it should be fast except I have to take breaks due to my shoulder and wrist issues...

I'll probably work more on the betting one first because it's harder to work on the tournaments one until I am sure the client doesn't find any bugs in the private version, ie I need his version installed on my test site for now.

Not meaning to bump, but planning to get to work on this in the next few days and so last chance for feature suggestions.

Just to remind about my previous version's features:

• you could bet on matchups with more than 2 teams/chocies.
  • used a built in point system or a separate one you selected.
  • I came up with "free bets" and "big bets"... free ones where members without points could make a few bets per month. big ones were ones where the payout ratio was higher, good to use when you were extra sure you made a good choice.
  • contests... similar to pickems, where you could add however many matchups to it and whoever did the best picking would win the contest.
  • brackets... for ncaa tournament, nfl playoffs, mlb playoffs, nhl playoffs, ncaa basketball playoffs, nba playoffs, etc... where you fill out the bracket of who will win. Then the best predicter wins.
  • for betting, you could enter the spread and thens elect whether the best have to be straight up or with odds involved, ie cover the spread.

Some ideas I had fore the next version included selecting who finishes first, second, third…. which would be good for horseracing and also better implementation of spread and odds.

I think also I originally made it where you had to select the matchup winner, how much they won by, AND which team won the matchup (manually selecting it absed on whetehr you used odds/spread or not). I later changed it, I believe, to where all you did was enter the winning team and by how much and it automatically then determined who won the matchup for betting purposes.

I am also going to make a fantasy app or MAYBE add it to this one, but not sure yet whether to do that and sell it or use it only for myself.

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, Bocar said:

Hello @Midnight Modding.

Are you still planning on a Fantasy App ?

And Can I have a link to your Betting App please ?

Thank you.

Hi, I don't have a link yet because I haven't finished it. My current plan is doing the pickems app soon and then the gull betting app after that. I am not sure exactly when, but I for sure want both done by the beginning of March. (pickems one will be sooner.)

As far as the fantasy one, I never decided if I would even release that one when I make it. I am trying to decide whether to sue it just for myself or sell it. I haven't even started it, though.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:50 PM, Bocar said:

Thank you.

What is a "pickems" app please ?

it's basically where you have a list of games and simply pick who will win each one and whoever gets the most correct wins, basically.

Sounds like the guy who wanted it, though, may rather save the money and just use my betting app when I release it.

I still haven't really got enough positive feedback on whether or not I should release the tournaments app, so probably will just move on to this one next (within a few weeks).

I'd actually like to make some brand new type of app after this one, but I don't see any ideas I like in the requests forum.

Either way, though, as far as this app, I want to sue it for myself by the beginning of March, so that is going to speed me up getting it finished. And nothing holds me back from figuring out the coding anymore, the only slowdown is when my shoulder/neck acts up.

Edited by Midnight Modding

• 1 month later...

ok I am for real going to start back on this and try my best to at LEAST get enough of it done to be able to use on my own site for picking brackets fore the ncaa tournament. I'll just put it on my main site at that point in case anyone wants to use it.

The tournament stars around March 21st (main games after play in ones), though, so I don't have much time. lol.

No clue if I'll have it where you can actually bet on matchups at that point because I am going to just try to get picking on brackets done first, since that's what is more time sensitive for my own fun of using it...

I'm working on a second private app at the moment, but almost done with that and can fit this in as well. I always underestimate how many hours apps take, but just glancing at my old files, this app sure seems way more straightforward than my other apps... Hmm, I'll have to think what to do about points, since I haven't updated my points system, either.

Oh, also, at first I can just make it where I add everything in the acp, which will save me a lot of time, too, so I really think I can get this done enough for using on my site soon.

Then I'll finish the public tournaments app next. So I'd say in a couple months I'll have both of those done, as well as multiple private apps.

• 2 weeks later...

What's funny is I haven't even done a thing on this app in well over a year and I am still determined to get just enough done to do a bracket in the next few days without even starting yet. lol.

I'm going to just do the bare minimum to be able to get the app on a live site, have it where categories and teams and brackets can be added, picks can be made. And that's it. So then once submitting the picks they probably won't show anywhere in the beginning until I have time to add in that part. haha.

Originally, this app took me literally hundreds of hours, but I think updating it won't be as bad as the last app I finished updating.

Anyway, I will link to it when I get it done. The next problem is that the site I was going to put it on had so horrible bot spamming and people spamming with the contact us link, the site was practically unusable. IPS needs to have a solution for that type of thing, such as ability to turn off contact us, even if it hurts search results and whatnot.

So, anyway, we'll see if I can do all of this in only a few days. Like I said, when only worrying about a few specific pages, it should be doable. If nobody cares to test it, I wanted it for myself, anyway. 🙂

edit: since nobody seemed interested, and I need to finish a custom app, I am just slightly delaying it, but am going to do it before the tournament ends where at least part of the bracket picking will be legit picks from ahead of time. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/23/2019 at 9:30 PM, timberwolf_merged said:

I've been waiting for this app for ages.  I had it back when we were still on 3.7.x and my members loved it.  It's a shame it's taken so long to even start updating it.

I keep asking if anyone wants it and next to nobody is responding. In the next few days I am back to open to work on an app and was thinking about it being this one, but look how many posts I've been making and nobody seeming interested. So I didn't set a definite date to do it.

I myself 100% want it for my own use, so it's getting updated regardless. Justw as deciding whether to do it first or finish the tournaments one or do a whole separate pickems one for the people that wanted that.

The main person I do custom apps for is going to stop using IB, so I will have more time to do these other apps.

Also, I could just do some of the features on this and release it sooner, then update it for the other features, if people are mostly wanting a certain feature. Or someone could have me do custom work to get it done sooner then.

Technically I am doing my point system app first, but that one will take literally 1 day to make if I don't add new features.

That way I can integrate it into my betting app. So anyway, this one or the tournaments one, which one first, that is what I am deciding. 🙂 

See, the thing is... I already finished a private version of the tournaments app, so I could finish a public version of that one quicker. Otherwise I'd for sure choose the betting one first. As it is, it's a tough choice.

I'm leaning towards the tournaments one first because so little has to be done to switch the private version to a public one, it's the quickest way for me to have a large app back on here. Should be much less than a month of work. The betting one is harder to judge and depends on which features are most wanted (ie if bracket contests weren't sued as much I could first release it with only betting and then add those in in an update) Either way, I'll be working on one or the other within the week. But if people said they want one or the other, it would speed it up because I'd know people are waiting on it.

• 1 month later...

Have you started this yet? I don't like the other sports betting app as you have to add games via ACP and it takes too long. I think people have stopped replying to this post due you your false promises or starting the app but not actually starting to work on it. I'm not having a go, I'm just staying facts. Also people have given you enough ideas to get something basic up and running. Even if you done the bare minimum to get something up, people could them download it and then ask for features to be added or things to be improved on I've been waiting for over a year for this app haha. Hopefully one day it will be available to download. 

I'd like just a simple app where I can as games and people can either select home.team to win, away team to win or a draw. But each outcome having different odds attached to it. And the person betting can input different amount of points/cash towards that outcome. 

Also it would be good to be able to add games straight from the app and not going through the ACP if that is possible. 

If if could be like vbookie then that would be amazing. Maybe ask the creater or vbookie if you can port it over to Invision.

Thanks. 

On 7/18/2019 at 1:46 AM, Michael Yates said:

Have you started this yet? I don't like the other sports betting app as you have to add games via ACP and it takes too long. I think people have stopped replying to this post due you your false promises or starting the app but not actually starting to work on it. I'm not having a go, I'm just staying facts. Also people have given you enough ideas to get something basic up and running. Even if you done the bare minimum to get something up, people could them download it and then ask for features to be added or things to be improved on I've been waiting for over a year for this app haha. Hopefully one day it will be available to download. 

I'd like just a simple app where I can as games and people can either select home.team to win, away team to win or a draw. But each outcome having different odds attached to it. And the person betting can input different amount of points/cash towards that outcome. 

Also it would be good to be able to add games straight from the app and not going through the ACP if that is possible. 

If if could be like vbookie then that would be amazing. Maybe ask the creater or vbookie if you can port it over to Invision.

Thanks. 

I am finishing up a pickems version of the app, so although it's technically not this app, it is working towards getting this app done, since there will be similarities where I can copy my code over.

I started on this app a long time ago, so it's not that I didn't start on it. I just got slowed up because custom projects went over on time and it took me forever to learn the 4.x system.

How soon do you need it? I am going to be done with the pickems one not many days from now. I may be able to finish the betting one in time for you or if it would be later than you like, maybe you could pay to get it done sooner (basically because I need a little break soon, otherwise, because I've been working on apps for many weeks in a row now... 2 custom ones and 1 custom/public one).

The pickem one was funded somewhat is why I am doing it as a separate app. Otherwise I'd currently be doing this code on the betting one.

ALso, I was torn between having matchup adding in acp vs. public side, as well. Probably will be on the front end on both apps, but adding contests themselves and teams ma be in the acp unless someone REALLY wants that still on the front end. It's better to have most on the acp end, unless someone just flat out wants members adding most everything.

Speaking of speeding thigns up... I may make some sort of mass add matchup feature at some point where at least you don't have to keep saving a form over and over for each one.

Hello, I'd like to try the Pickems as that might be all I need. That's if that's going to be a public release? Can you tell me more about the Pickems. I also understand that you need a break ha. We all get overworked at times. Keep it up though. I wasn't having a go at you on my previous post, I was just being blunt and to the point. 👍👍👍👍👍

6 hours ago, Michael Yates said:

Hello, I'd like to try the Pickems as that might be all I need. That's if that's going to be a public release? Can you tell me more about the Pickems. I also understand that you need a break ha. We all get overworked at times. Keep it up though. I wasn't having a go at you on my previous post, I was just being blunt and to the point. 👍👍👍👍👍

well it doesn't have the betting aspect of it or odds, at least on the first version. It's just an app where you are in a contest with x number of games to make picks of who will win, but you're not betting, it's just straight up picking who will win and whoever picks the most correctly wins, basically.

On the betting app, it would have that same type of functionality plus the ability to bet points on the games and have odds and all of that stuff. Eh, I'd probably even release the betting app at first without the bracket contests I had in the 3.x one, just to speed up releasing, then add it back in soon after.

I have to annoyingly let people renovate the place I am in soon, so I guess that is when I should have a break, since it would be a big headache writing code when dealing with that. My guess is I could finish the betting app a month after the pickems one if I don't add in the bracket part right away.

And of course I still have the tournaments one... I sure hope there is going to be an IP.suite 4.5 rather than going from 4.4 to 5.0 since I finally am getting apps finished for 4.x. lol. It will be a million times easier for me to go from 4.x to 5.x than 3.x to 4.x, though, no matter what they change in 5.x.

I like the sound of the Pickems app, very simple and easy to use. I take it you get points for getting the result correct then at the end of it the person with the most correct results wins?

Think I prefer that to betting. I just want something simple and easy to use for my.forum members to use. I'm going to remove my current betting app as it's too much effort for everyone in listing myself to use. I don't have.much time to administer the forums due to me.working away from home. 

👍👍👍

40 minutes ago, Michael Yates said:

I like the sound of the Pickems app, very simple and easy to use. I take it you get points for getting the result correct then at the end of it the person with the most correct results wins?

Think I prefer that to betting. I just want something simple and easy to use for my.forum members to use. I'm going to remove my current betting app as it's too much effort for everyone in listing myself to use. I don't have.much time to administer the forums due to me.working away from home. 

👍👍👍

yes, in the first release I may make it always just be 1 point and separate form a standalone point system, though, depending on if I have time to do more than that right away or not. But I have the database structure set up to accommodate a point system setup to where I could change it to where some picks could be worth more than others and add to a point system total used on the forums and whatnot (plus probably making my own point system again, as well).

Also, another thing is I have it set up to use "weeks" because that's how others have done, but I am trying to have it where you can have it work without breaking the contest down into the week 1, week 2, etc.... for those who may not want to do that. Or of course you could always add a whole new contest separate for a week and not break the contest itself into weeks...

Also, I don't think I added in ties/draws yet, but I am planning to do that, too, so will just have to see if it will be done in the very first release or not. Since he paid me to be working on it, I'm being sure it works how he needs first and then seeing how long I have toa dd more in before releasing soon.

23 hours ago, Midnight Modding said:

yes, in the first release I may make it always just be 1 point and separate form a standalone point system, though, depending on if I have time to do more than that right away or not. But I have the database structure set up to accommodate a point system setup to where I could change it to where some picks could be worth more than others and add to a point system total used on the forums and whatnot (plus probably making my own point system again, as well).

Also, another thing is I have it set up to use "weeks" because that's how others have done, but I am trying to have it where you can have it work without breaking the contest down into the week 1, week 2, etc.... for those who may not want to do that. Or of course you could always add a whole new contest separate for a week and not break the contest itself into weeks...

Also, I don't think I added in ties/draws yet, but I am planning to do that, too, so will just have to see if it will be done in the very first release or not. Since he paid me to be working on it, I'm being sure it works how he needs first and then seeing how long I have toa dd more in before releasing soon.

I'm looking forward to giving this a go when its released, do you have any idea on how much this will cost once its completed?

Having weeks will be good, i'd be able to give a lot more feedback on this once I get the chance to have a play around with it. 

😀

28 minutes ago, Michael Yates said:

I'm looking forward to giving this a go when its released, do you have any idea on how much this will cost once its completed?

Having weeks will be good, i'd be able to give a lot more feedback on this once I get the chance to have a play around with it. 

😀

Probably $30-$40, but I haven't thought it all out yet to be sure. Then later when I get the full betting one done, I'll have a feature to import data from the pickems app if someone wants to get the app that has the betting and brackets and all that other stuff.

On 7/22/2019 at 3:46 PM, Midnight Modding said:

I'm glad we will get to use a pick'ems app for this coming sports season.  While there are ties in other sports there are none in hockey.  

I have one suggestion to include on the pick'ems app if possible and that would be a final score prediction.  If the member guesses correctly to the outcome of the game they migh earn an additional amount of points.   For example 1 point for the win and 2 additional points for the exact score.   Would something like this be easy enough to add into the app? 

Also will we be able to set up  some sort of variable points system where the manager sets up how many points are earned for specific games.  For example... most games earn 1 point, but the game of the week earns 3 points for the correct answer.

I think these additions might make a straight up pick'ems more interesting. 

Thanks

4 minutes ago, InsideEdge said:

I'm glad we will get to use a pick'ems app for this coming sports season.  While there are ties in other sports there are none in hockey.  

I have one suggestion to include on the pick'ems app if possible and that would be a final score prediction.  If the member guesses correctly to the outcome of the game they migh earn an additional amount of points.   For example 1 point for the win and 2 additional points for the exact score.   Would something like this be easy enough to add into the app? 

Also will we be able to set up  some sort of variable points system where the manager sets up how many points are earned for specific games.  For example... most games earn 1 point, but the game of the week earns 3 points for the correct answer.

I think these additions might make a straight up pick'ems more interesting. 

Thanks

I have it set where it's going to have ability to do different point amounts per game, but I'm not sure if it will be done by the first release or not.

That other idea sounds interesting, as well, but to get the first release done in time, it would probably have to be something I'd consider after the first release.

I would have rather had my whole betting app done, but it would have pushed me past the start of upcoming seasons, probably.

What's stressful on this one is there are so many areas where I have to make decisions on how to do something because some people will want it one way and some will want it another, so once I release it, we'll just have to see if the structure changes over time.

Btw, will be done on that app by next week, other than testing could still not be done, depending on how many issues are found.

And then if people don't need it on day 1, obviously it's still possible I could get more features in before you'd need it. Need to balance that with doing the betting and tournaments apps, though. Also, whenever 5.x comes out it won't be even close to this big of an ordeal. Of course that would also depend on how soon we'd have access to that system. Hopefully they do a 4.5 first, though.

it's like everything on the planet tries to slow me up on apps. now I can't hardly bend my neck today, it hurts so bad. But about to work on the app, anyway...

Also, the main thing I get torn on is which parts to do on the acp side vs. which to do on the front end. Most have seemed to want adding the actual matches/games on the front end and I am guessing most would want the "entering the results" on the front end... So for now thatis what I'll likely do and a lot of the other stuff has to be done on the acp end, but can be changed over time if we need to.