Betting

Midnight Modding

Was about to release this and realized some of the changes the upgrader did on one of my past upgrades was not done properly (due to me forgetting a field was auto_increment) and so I have to make yet ANOTHER version to redo those aprts and fix it. Luckily it's all fixable so my live site is going to be ok when I'm done...

So it probably won't be released until tomorrow. I hate to not have it released today in case anyone cared to use it for the NBA playoffs, but they can still use the currently released version.... it just messes me up by me not being able to advertise that it'[s released and then tomorrow is a weekend day.

I don't know that there's been a release of any ip.board first party or third party app like this.... it has to go through FOURTEEN new versions when you upgrade because that's how many I ahd to make to get this finished up.

For those who may not have noticed, I released version 5.0.0 on Easter as an Easter egg. lol

The main thing I couldn't get finished was improving the skinning of brackets, so I will do that soon. If anyone knows how to do it in a good way and wouldn't mind sharing, I could get it done quicker. Otherwise, I have to figure it out myself and I'm not good at skinning and I can't pay to have someone do it because I spent an unbelievable number of hours updating the app and will never come close to getting financially compensated for that amount of work, so I'm nott hen going to be able to pay out money that won't net me any bac, of course.

I do have one example of making brackets, but in the past I couldn't get it to work, which was likely me improperly even adding the css in to the app.

Anyway, the way the app handles various things is better now, in my opinion, many bugs have been fixed, you can have less teams in dropdowns on forms, auto topics for more areas, friendly urls, you don't have to select BOTH a game winner and bet winner because the system does it for you based on your settings, join groups when entering contests, better editing and deleting abilities (under certain conditions, though, sometimes you have to delete something else beforehand, such as deleting matchups before you can delete a category they are in), a much improved pickem setup, etc...

Wondering if you could some how extrapolate this implementation for Team and/or Individual site member based contests.

Or does it somehow support something like that, where you can assign site members to teams or have them enroll and then pick teams?

I have a need for that, and haven't gotten around to building something for it yet, always keep my eyes open to see if someone does.

• 2 weeks later...

You can set it to allow people to predict ties. Then if they predicted it, they would win. Otherwise, if you do not enable "use ties" and the matchup does result in a tie, you have to select no winner and it would just treat it as not winning or losing, since it was not something that could be predicted.

When you pay it out, you just need to select "a tie" as the winner. Choosing "none" as the winner will always make it where nobody wins or loses bets.

Also, you can have the payout be different for ties, just as you can have it pay out at a different ratio for each team in the matchup.

Someone let me know if I should change any general rules. For instance, when I say "odds" in the app it really means spread.... I guess it's still acceptable toc all it odds, but some may think of the payout ratios as odds.

• 3 weeks later...

There's nothing in the ACP right now except settings (in the system settings area). All of the adding forms ar eon the public side (in my other apps they're in the ACP, but for whatever reason I did it on the public side on this one). Also, it depends what you would want to do with the world cup. There's no bracket type of setup. You could do some sort of pickem contest where you would have to keep manually adding each match and whoever picks the best through the world cup would be auto selected as the winner when you close it. or you could add individual matches and not have it be a contest. Or you could add something saying "who will win the world cup?' and put every choice all in that one "matchup".

Any way to disable betting for a matchup that's in a contest and only allow users to make a pick for their entry? It's a tad bit confusing having the betting form and the contest pick form mushed together when a user goes to make a pick. Especially if they don't want to bet anything.

yeah, if you're using the latest version. On the final step of adding it, it should have an option to use only in a particular contest. If it doesn't or if it still adds it as a matchup, then I must have forgotten to test it or add it. I'm thinking maybe I did forget because off the top of my head it seems like it always adds the matchup.

Basically the best thing for people to do is go to their entry in the contest and pick them all there instead of through matchups, if they don't want to bet. I'll have to look at how I left it for the area you're talking about, though. I may have had it still add it where you can do it there, but not show the betting area. SO bottom line, I need to test it, and remind myself how it does. :)

Blah, actually I didn't make it where it can be added as only a pick. I'm not sure of the best way to do it so would need to think about it. I think of that main area as for betting, though, to where they should only be going there if they wanted to bet. But some sites may not even want to enable betting and may want it to only have the picks... Either way, the "best" way to actually pick them would be to just go to the contest page, though. Then you don't bet anything. If you do want to ebt, then going through the betting ara allows you to do the pick and betting all at once.

• 3 weeks later...

The way it currently is, you have to add teams, choices, etc... to the database before anything else, so in that example you would click the add forms button, type 5 into the input for teams and click the teams button, then on the next page type each of those five choices for their names and put them into some category. Then do the add matchup button with a 5 for number of teams for that and select all of those five choices you earlier added.

But it's based on betting. So if you want it where they only receive 500 and don't bet anything I guess you'd have to put the maximum bet at 0, but I don't remember if I have that allowed or not.

If you wanted to do it not involving betting and more like a contest then before even adding any matchup you'd need to do the same step of adding teams I mentioned earlier, then click the add contest button and set it up as a contest. Then you would add the matchup the same way I mentioned, but there is an option where you could make it be ONLY for the contest instead of betting. And just have the contest jackpot be 500. And keep perfect at 0.

I think the main thing I need to do for 4.0 is change some of this, such as categories for teams.... it's kind of odd to have categories be used both for teams and matchups. Also, I probably need to make the whole betting setup differently, as I probably don't have it close enough to real life because I think odds would look a bit different. If anyone ahs ideas, let me know. And of course I still plan on adding a horse racing type where you pick first, second, and third rather than only first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's hard to know without seeing it. It could be that for some reason the furl templates didn't get rebuilt or the skin templates didn't get added, but usually those give errors. Or if you mean in the ACP it was a blank page, this app doesn't have settings in the app area, they are in the system settings area, so the app area would have nothing there except I believe it has a message.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm using Betting 5.0.0 on IPB 3.4.7, and must be missing something simple.... but I just turned on brackets, created one, and was able to fill it out myself (Add Entry). But none of my forum members see the "Add Entry" button, so they can't fill out the bracket. They can still bet on other things though.. The permissions in the settings don't show anything separate to configure for brackets... 

How can I get users to fill out the bracket? :/