Betting

Midnight Modding

I may be able to get some or all of those in or you may have to have me do it as a custom job. It just depends. It's getting tiring working on it, so after a while I have to stop adding things for now unless someone eneds something enough to have me do custom work on it. It's taking forever to even get just some basic changes done. And a lot of what I am doing right now on it is stuff that most users won't even notice, such as getting rid of a lot of the template bits that say _rows in their titles and putting those rows into the main templates and also changing some function names to be using "camelCase". So a lot of time just to do boring things like that and also i'm still not even done with the brackets area.

One thing I thought of adding is ability to have members add matchups which would go for review and an admin set the odds and all that on them. And maybe ability for members to bet against each other. I haven't really thought it all through to decide if any of that is worth adding yet though. Also, like with most of my apps, I wish I could get a designer to help me make it look better! Too many areas look cluttered.

I am probably going to release something around Halloween, just where I have some sort of deadline rather than just keep adding features forever. SO if anyone has any features they want the most, then let me know because I can only add a few things, most likely. I've taken forever just reorganizing the system and files, as I mentioned. I think there's only 1 or 2 people who are even paying attention, s I can't go nuts adding a million things because it's a lot of work and doesn't seem like many will be using it anyway. Now I just got through fixing some bugs and adding page titles (in browser windows) and descriptions on the pages themselves. SO I am basically done with all the reorganizing and friendly urls etc.... unless I decide to combine betting and bracket cotnests into one area called contests.... Also for now I changed betting contests to pickem contests. (changed the name, nothing else)

@Midnight

Another suggestion, probably really easy, on the admin side - Can you add a default bet size that admins can set.

What I mean is..

In the admin add two new entries.

• Default Min Bet (Most likely will be 1, but people can change it)
  • Default Max Bet (People will set this to whatever they want)

Then when you go to create a match, it just pre-populates the min and max bets with the default values and yes the person can over-ride it..

It will save a lot of time entering matches (Management Feature)

From a person playing in the betting module it's pretty solid and awesome. From the person setting the games up it's tedious (I know you're working hard to make this easier).

I'm looking forward to the Halloween release!

ok, I added it. I made it where it also will have defaults on the bracket form for cost, jackpot, perfect, and entries (in this new version you can have multiple bracket entries). Just to give people an idea of how much custom work is, if I had not felt it was going to benefit many and/or if it would have taken too much time for me to get into this release that particular feature would have been around $15, time-wise. Normally, features end up being around $40-$80 each though. I am not always tryigng to get extra money, but there is a limit to how much I can add, so some things just can't get in other than as custom. I'm doubting I can get the hide/unhide feature in because it's borderline too much trouble because I will have to go through all kinds of areas to have it hide them and I will also have to make a whole new page to show matchups or otherwise there would be no way to even see hidden ones.... or I would have to have them in their normal places and only admins see them, but then the admin would have to go all over the place finding the hidden ones.

Anyway, I am done working on the app for today. I finished all the auto topic creation features. It was already added for matchups long ago, but wasn't in this public app because someone had paid to have it added so I just didn't add it here until this next version. But I now also added auto topics for brackets and pickems.

siiiiiiigh. have you added any matchups with more than two teams? does it properly have each one in different rows? for some reason now on my copy it's shoving them all into one row. And also the italics tags are in titles. It's always a mess having bb codes in titles. I should have never done that to begin with. Anyway I'll have to check out these two bugs tomorrow.

edit: or even just two teams.... it's putting them in one row on the betting page instead of giving each one their own row.

edit2: it's not doing it on my main site, which is using an earlier beta of 5.0.0, so I know where the problem came from.... it's when I got rid of a row template and put it into the main one. I must have messed something up. :p

Apparently if you ever use the home and favorite checkboxes, some titles are going to have the italics tags showing in the listing of matchups rather than it actually doing the italics. But I fixed it now. If it's NOT doing that on your site, then I have no clue why it sometimes does and sometimes not. I think some version of ip.board must have changed something which made those stop working properly in this app.

I'm doubting I can get the hide/unhide feature in because it's borderline too much trouble because I will have to go through all kinds of areas to have it hide them and I will also have to make a whole new page to show matchups or otherwise there would be no way to even see hidden ones.... or I would have to have them in their normal places and only admins see them, but then the admin would have to go all over the place finding the hidden ones.

This is so needed, you can have a link on the left that admins see that say, show all Hidden games. So they don't have to look all over for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well some time this month, but it could be very soon. I was also doing a small custom job and soon will be doing a bit bigger one, so hopefully I can finish this before it. But the feature you want is too much to be adding for something which is more iffy to put in the app. I already am adding some of what you want, but some things just have to be paid on for them to be worth doing, or at least for now. I could maybe do it for less than I normally would, since it would have to be in the main app, but otherwise I can't just add every feature idea because some are more tedious to add than others. If I did it, I was also going to make it where you could hide ones which were already opened, but I could just do it where you can only unhide once and then not hide back, to save coding time where it's not as much to make.

yeah that's what I meant. even then, it's not something that can be added in just a few minutes though. a lot of times I add things, in fact I think only once have I done anything custom on this one, but some things are just too specific to one or two people tow arrant me spending much time on. people would probably use it, but it's not something where anyone had asked for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you can add matchups with pretty much any number of teams and then members choose who will win. So it can technically be done with about any sport, but there may be some little areas where it seems more towards American ones and you'd probably have to change some words in the language area. I would think it would still work, though. I'm not sure if the ratios would need to look different. the way it is now if it says something like 2:1 it means you get twice as many points if that team wins, for example.

As far as the enxt version, it will probably be a couple weeks. I just finished some custom work so can get back to this app, but also soon I am making some new apps, probably, so I need to finish this version soon.

yeah, for the next version I am planning on improving editing abilities. Technically you can already edit a lot of it, but you have to click on team logos and sometimes you have to click on times. So if you have teams actually in some matchup, you can go to that matchup and click a team's logo to edit its information. But I am going to make it better than that in the future.

I am getting familiar to the app but I need your support in some topics, e.g. if a matchup is finished and it is shown as unpaid. Then I have to fill in three fields:

Bet winner

Game winner

Won by

I have only a football match between 2 teams and one of them won the match - what are the right values to fill in? I am sure to choose the game winner, but the other two fields I don't know.....

Another question I would like to ask:

What does the numbers in brackets behind the teams mean?

post-320727-0-37724100-1385830845_thumb.

Thanks for your support!

Those records in brackets are the wins/losses the teams have done, but it's wins and losses of bets, not necessaril;y their real life record, unless you do them without odds being used. That is another area I may change or maybe make it an option that can be turned off.

When paying out the bets, the game winner is who won the game/match in real life, the odds is by how many points, goals, etc.... they won by, and then bet winner is who won in the betting app, including the odds. So if you don't ever use odds, you would just always pick the same team for game winner and bet winner.

But, see, if you do use odds and you have the odds set at 3, for example, and Team A beat Team B by only 2, then Team A would be the game winner, but Team B would be the bet winner because Team A did not win by enough (3 or more).

So game winner is who won the game or match, but if there were odds used, the bet winner could be different.