Any chance IP.Subscriptions decision will be reversed?

chilihead

IP.Subscriptions, our simple application to allow you to sell member group promotions on your community, will be updated to work with IP.Board 3.2 but this will be the last update to IP.Subscriptions. IP.Subscriptions has been around for many years - long before communities were assumed to bring in revenue - and it's time to retire it to focus on our more modern application: IP.Nexus. With the release of IP.Board 3.2, IP.Subscriptions will be considered end of life (EOL) and will no longer be supported. Clients should switch to the new IP.Nexus product which is continually updated and contains many more opportunities to monetize your community. A member of our community, Andy Rixon, has agreed to take on continuing development of this product so those of you who use it will still have a solution.

I was wondering if there was any chance this decision will be reversed. There are many reasons direct checkout works better than a cart for subscriptions (especially recurring), as noted [url=".

If the decision is final I will just hope that per-product multiple billing options (including recurring) are added to Nexus, as suggested [url=".

Thanks

I seriously doubt it'll be reversed. The subscriptions module, which used to be integrated directly within IPB, is old and I'm sure quite outdated as far as functions and features are concerned. I'm sure that it'll work for most/all of the IPB3.2.x series, so you should be able to continue using it for awhile yet.

Just my thoughts on it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

IP.Subscriptions was the main reason why we bought IPB years ago...
Now Invision will not continue to develop the software officially?

Do I see this right?

Sorry, but after spending so much money here and the main feature we use in our forum, I guess we will have to switch the forum software.

Greets,
Tom

IP.Subscriptions was the main reason why we bought IPB years ago...

Now Invision will not continue to develop the software officially?

Do I see this right?

Sorry, but after spending so much money here and the main feature we use in our forum, I guess we will have to switch the forum software.

Greets,

Tom

Michael has taken it over - http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/4193-subscriptions-manager/ - it is in good hands :)

OK - Michael has taken it over.

But it is not an official "Invision Power Services, Inc." product any longer...
...and we just install and use official "Invision Power Services, Inc.".

Due to urgent support we might need... We thought about update our stuff to "Business License" etc.

But discontinue "IP.Subscriptions" as official "Invision Power Services, Inc." application is the killer argument for us.

Ok, you may say now: get IP.Nexus... We have it - but we will not use it, because it is encoded.
And due to your company policies we do not use encoded stuff on productive websites.

Greets,
Tom

That logic is redundant...

You already spent $150+ on the board, and probably other addon-applications, and because a free product is no longer official, you want to get rid of all the money you spent and go buy a different system?

Michael has been here on the forums for many years, and is a former staff member for IPS. He is reliable, and I don't see how it makes that much of a difference if it is IPS or Community Modder. I could see if it was someone not well known, but Michael has aleways stood behind his mods, and is always supporting them. The code is basically what IPS made it with, just modified to work with future versions. Nothing is really changing in it.

You can't really get mad at IPS because of company policy. Suggest that it get amended to allow Nexus if you need it, or suck it up and use a non-official application.

• 3 months later...

So can we use IP.Nexus for non-subscriptions and IP.Subscriptions (Subscriptions Manager) for subscriptions? Or will Nexus automatically convert them... if so, how do you prevent that? Thanks

When you install IP.Nexus, it will offer you the opportunity to convert your data from IP.Subscriptions.

Thanks for the posts, but can you clarify? I understand you can't run the two together for subscriptions. But can you run IP.Nexus, deny the import, and run both for different purposes? Then if you decide to later, import? Thanks

When you install IP.Nexus, it will offer you the opportunity to convert your data from IP.Subscriptions.

Does this also go for Subscription Manager? (The 3rd party version.)

Thanks for the posts, but can you clarify? I understand you can't run the two together for subscriptions. But can you run IP.Nexus, deny the import, and run both for different purposes? Then if you decide to later, import? Thanks

Does this also go for Subscription Manager? (The 3rd party version.)

You don't understand.

You can't run the two applications together. Period.

And yes, IP.Subscriptions is the same application as Subscription Manager. The name was changed when it was made an unofficial add-on.

Archived