Feature Request - Option to force users to agree to rule updates

Jinkler

If you update your rules, which most comptetent webmasters should do, to reflect changing laws and emerging trends etc, there is no way to force all members to read and agree if they wish to continue using the site. This should be built into the software, otherwise, depending on the site you run, you can be left wide open to all sorts of legal problems.

• 3 months later...

*bump* and +1 to this!

Would be great to have an option to force members to (re) agree the registration terms and (!!!) the boardrules after we have changed something in the rules (like THIS mod and other boardsoftwares).

Maybe you can merge at this step the reg terms and boardrules to one rule page.

*bump* and +1 to this!

Would be great to have an option to force members to (re) agree the registration terms and (!!!) the boardrules after we have changed something in the rules (like

THIS

mod and other boardsoftwares).

Maybe you can merge at this step the reg terms and boardrules to one rule page.

Are you sure that you have to do it?

In my opinion (but I could be wrong) it may be irritating for some members.

Don't you think would be better to send to all members a mail informing them that the board rules are changed and referring to a specific topic for further questions / feedback? :)

depends on your jurisdiction whether only informing them by mail is sufficient, I would say. :smile:

Right, and i think its not sufficient to send the update via E-Mail. When you send ONLY a E-Mail, PM or something else, this is not the same as a user must agree the terms. You can not say a user agree the (changed) terms by reading the E-Mail (and not say: i do not agree).

For all IPS customers it would be easier when we have a good function to manage boardrules/terms (merge to one rule) and the users must agree to the rules and re agree if the board administrator made changes to the rules.

I think we should not focus on the laws on the different countries, finally we cant clarify all the laws in the different countries and many people (and lawyers, ...) think differently about laws.

We should focus on the new function, which give all IPS customers (from all countries) a good tool to manage the terms in IP.Board - also if you made changes on it (maybe when a law changes or something is wrong in the terms).

Sure, it could be useful.
At my forum, I have put in the board rules that we can change our policies at any time without further notice, and that the users themselves are responsible to follow any rule changes.

Of course, I also start a new topic to inform the users that there are changed rules, but it's their responsibility to follow them at any time.

At my forum, I have put in the board rules that we can change our policies at any time without further notice, and that the users themselves are responsible to follow any rule changes.

Of course, I also start a new topic to inform the users that there are changed rules, but it's their responsibility to follow them at any time.

...but i think thats not enough to put a "You agree to all changes in our rules any time" - maybe in US, but not in Germany (and probably in other countries).

But as i say, we should not focus on the law(s) - those feature would be good for ALL customers, both germany, UK and also US. Very transparent and fair for all users which register on your board.

...but i think thats not enough to put a "You agree to all changes in our rules any time" - maybe in US, but not in Germany (and probably in other countries).

Same here in Italy ;)

I've been thinking about your proposal and I think your idea is very good.

Not only will you meet all possible local laws, but also prevent potential lawsuits on the legal interpretation.

With your system you can prove, beyond any reasonably doubt, that your member, with that particular email and ip in that specific day (month, hour, year) has accepted the rules / guidelines

Great! :wink:

Summary about this Feature Request:

• Merge "Forum Rules" with Registration Terms to on Terms-Page (e.g. Forum Rules & Terms) including both (old) rules/terms. Result: Members can see at any time all forum terms
  • Option to force members to (re) agree the Terms before they can access the board
  • Option to force also guests to (re) agree the terms before they can access the board
  • Log all member actions (agree on registration, re agree if the board administrator changes something and force the members to re agree the terms, ...) including the IP and date/time. Result: When there are problems with the members / law / lawyers, you can say "He agree to the terms on DATE with his IP IPADRESS"

I think this is very transparent and fair for the members of all boards, wherever in which countrie the board is hosted. Also the board administrators (from all countries) can handle good with the terms of their forum / homepage (IP.Content, ...) and so prevent any problems with the law in their country.

• 4 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On ‎14‎-‎03‎-‎2016 at 0:29 PM, Daniel F said:

When you change the terms in your ACP, you'll be asked if you want to force the members to accept the new terms

d624cfe5c1ae6df017ab2b6042deb178.png

Hey there  - Is there some way to "unforce" it if I accidently pushed the "force members" button? ^_^

Best regards ;)

On 13/04/2016 at 2:05 PM, Ki Schou said:

Hey there  - Is there some way to "unforce" it if I accidently pushed the "force members" button? ^_^

Best regards ;)

Using SQL (over SSH if possible because the query will probably take a while to run), and run

UPDATE core_members SET members_bitoptions2 = members_bitoptions2 & ~(32 | 64);

Disclaimer: I have vaguely tested this, but I take no responsibility if it breaks things.

16 hours ago, Colonel_mortis said:

Using SQL (over SSH if possible because the query will probably take a while to run), and run

UPDATE core_members SET members_bitoptions2 = members_bitoptions2 & ~(32 | 64);

Disclaimer: I have vaguely tested this, but I take no responsibility if it breaks things.

Thanks for the anwser. This is exactly what I was looking for ;) 

Cheers,
Ki Schou

Archived