IPS Portal (End of Life), Mark, Not a Good Idea

ZakRhyno

Wow, as a fairly rank newbie, I was so impressed when I recently saw Portal! (I couldn't find it in the Admin interface last October.) I thought it was a giant step forward in forum software.

It's such a great idea to have a simple home page -- it makes a forum into a real site. (csm, very nice job with http://www.centerstagem.com. I'd very much like to know how you did that!)

I was going to ask why it's so difficult to move the tab for the portal page to the far left of the tab row (it was always supposed to be a "portal," or home page, right?), and why doing so screws up the window title and breadcrumbing, and why it's so complicated to edit, and why the documentation is so cr*ppy, but now I know.

It's half-baked, and deliberately so. What a shame. It would be another competitive advantage -- a simple improvement that means a lot usability-wise, giving a sense of place, for newcomers to the site. Perhaps the developers can't see the forest for the trees because the portal may not be technically exciting.

I wouldn't buy IPC (oh, another developer-centric module? No thanks.) just for a portal page. I'd put a free Wordpress in the main directory with links to the forum.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, as a fairly rank newbie, I was so impressed when I recently saw Portal! (I couldn't find it in the Admin interface last October.) I thought it was a giant step forward in forum software.

It's such a great idea to have a simple home page -- it makes a forum into a real site. (csm, very nice job with http://www.centerstagem.com. I'd very much like to know how you did that!)

It's half-baked, and deliberately so. What a shame. It would be another competitive advantage -- a simple improvement that means a lot usability-wise, giving a sense of place, for newcomers to the site. Perhaps the developers can't see the forest for the trees because the portal may not be technically exciting.

I wouldn't buy IPC (oh, another developer-centric module? No thanks.) just for a portal page. I'd put a free Wordpress in the main directory with links to the forum.

IPS offered to make it compatible with the next version right? Why would they continue to support it when IP.Content can do the exact same thing but better.

Do you want IPB to be the best it can be? Why should they waste time updating the portal when they can focus their resources on more important things?

I don't know about you but there is documentation even a video on how to install IP.C... Oh and your license comes with ticket support and access to the support forums. Where I am sure someone would be able to assist you. I do believe IPS also offers free installation, look at that the battle is already half over.

With a little effort on your part you can get it working.

I was going to ask why it's so difficult to move the tab for the portal page to the far left of the tab row (it was always supposed to be a "portal," or home page, right?), and why doing so screws up the window title and breadcrumbing, and why it's so complicated to edit, and why the documentation is so cr*ppy, but now I know.

Isn't it just editing the application and entering the name changes the tab name? Doesn't seem so difficult. Everything has a learning curve if you are to full of yourself to attempt to learn or ask for help them it's a shame :(. Even Wordpress has a learning curve to it.

Please read this topic, http://community.rixwil.com/index.php?/topic/168-ipsubscriptions-ipportal-take-over/

or you can just post it here so we can read it... :)

It's this easy.

We are proud to announce that we are currently discussion with IPS Management regarding the take over of both IP.Subscriptions and IP.Portal.

We have been told that we can take these over, but we are still firming things over to confirm it all, we will reply in this topic with updates regarding this new and exciting adventure that RIXWIL Software is going.

...Doesn't seem so difficult. Everything has a learning curve if you are to full of yourself to attempt to learn or ask for help them it's a shame :(. Even Wordpress has a learning curve to it....

Dear MexiMelt -- I assure you I make extensive use of support. Many of your other assumptions about me are also incorrect. But that's what makes a human race, isn't it?

I bought the IP.Content add on stupidly not realizing that I'd have to be a programmer to make anything look right. So at this point it's been a waste of money for me

What I wish someone would offer is a new Portal like the Unreal portal that was a much more non-programmer friendly setup. I can just insert little snippits of HTML and make everything work right. Unfortunately, it appears that Unreal portal has been abandoned.

I don't even care if it is designed to run in IP.Content.... but IP.Content is still too hard to use for non-programmers.

Totally agree with you, I purchased IP Content when it first came out, all I can do with it is make custom pages, I feel as if I wasted my money as well, it is not an easy program to use for the learner, and the lack of documentation to walk you through it, does not help.

I have asked many to help me on this board, who know how to use it, many said they would help at no cost, but you don't hear from them again such is their expertise. I have even offered payment, I don't expect anything for nothing but still cannot get help to convert.

I can understand the company has to move on, however you are marching forward, and leaving many of your troops behind, because now you have to be a computer geek to use the IPS software, and that's just it, I am not one, give me a broken motherboard and I will fix it, hard drive boards, I can fix them. But software HTML, PHP, I have very basic knowledge.

I love the IPS software, I think it is the best on the market, but making the software more difficult to use and with little or no documentation, we can't keep up, It then leaves us that we must look elsewhere for easier software to use.

Just my two cents worth :)

• Management

You do not need any PHP knowledge to use our software. I have no PHP knowledge and use it every day.

Yes, you need basic knowledge of HTML and CSS if you want to customize things but you need that knowledge to run any sort of web site. I only have basic knowledge of such things myself but I am able to do quite a lot in the software :)

• Management

I know what you mean: I started in the days of <font> tags :lol:

I learn a bit more CSS all the time. It's fun learning and really everything is CSS-driven on today's web so I figure I better learn more.

(nothing to do with IPB btw - I think I'm just chatting with you now ;) )

At this time, I would like to point out that I have taken over development of IP.Portal and IP.Subscriptions as my own, myself and the IPS Management have worked out things and I will be keeping both up-to-date and compatible with all future versions of IP.Board, if you would like to know more information regarding this please register at RIXWIL Software and post your questions in the Feedback & Sugestions forum and I will be happy to answer your questions.

You do not need any PHP knowledge to use our software. I have no PHP knowledge and use it every day.

Yes, you need basic knowledge of HTML and CSS if you want to customize things but you need that knowledge to run any sort of web site. I only have basic knowledge of such things myself but I am able to do quite a lot in the software :)

Thanks for that information, Charles. It makes me a little more inclined toward IP.Content, but I probably still would not buy it because all I really need is a simple portal page. I guess I'm representative of the users who need only a minimal site. Others might want a more complex site; IP.Content may return on investment for them.

I still have a bit of a learning curve going on with IPC but can say this, it's really a matter of knowing what you want to do and how to do it. If you want to make an HTML page and know HTML, then you can do it. If you need to perform a function in PHP and know PHP, then you can do it. I think the true big curve is in knowing what functions and variables are available when making the page(s).

In all seriousness, making an HTML page that just says, "Hello" is really easy and proceeding from there is easy as well.

With PHP, something like, "echo 'Hello';" is easy.

I think part of the issue is the feeling that some of the usualy functions/features of HTML or PHP are somehow removed or that we have to learn a new HTML/PHP language, when in reality, it's just a matter of using what we already know.

So if someone has fears of moving to IPC in place of using the portal, relax. If you feel that it's more than you need or that it won't serve your purposes, then just use what you think works best for you. After portal is updated for v3.2, then even if AndyR drops it, it'll likely work until IPB3.3 (or IPB4 or whatever happens to come after the 3.2.x series). No need to worry. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I've been trying to move away and deprecate my use of IP.Portal, it practically duplicates IP.Content.

As a software developer, and a senior business manager, I completely agree with the method IPS has chosen to proceed with the development of the newer platform, but can understand the frustration at the lack of ease and documentation to contribute to the customisation of IP.Content pages. Practically, supporting two applications, which offer the same, yet distinct, solutions, is not going to be financially viable, and will lead to further constraints down the line.

All that I can suggest is that we continue to support IPS, and learn basic HTML/CSS. For a website that changes dynamically, such as a forum, I feel that it is imperative that its owners have at least some understand in the technologies employed; you never know when you'll need them.

• 2 months later...

An oldish thread I know, but I just wanted to give my support to all things simple. I run a fairly small book forum, and I simply don't have the time to learn how to use IP.Content. I did buy it when I first bought the forum software, but got stuck right at the beginning. IP.Portal is perfect for me, and I'm not sure what I'll do without it. I've also just bought IP.Nexus, even though IP.Subscriptions was doing just what I wanted.

Not all of us are running complex sites, some are just small simple forums.

• 1 month later...

Got to admit I'm dubious about not having a simple, supported portal. Hopefully plans to have that done via IP.Content will come good.

It's continuing to be maintained by one of the best and most active modders out there. I don't think you're going to run into any issues. I've got several paid for mods from DevFuse and updates are always released in a timely fashion alongside smaller fixes for any bugs. I really believe you're worrying for nothing.

Archived