IPS Portal (End of Life), Mark, Not a Good Idea

ZakRhyno

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is not only is there your link, but also a link to IPS - which if one has copyright removal rather pointless.

Not sure why there are two links?

When the portal was announced EOL it was stated that it would be made available for 3.2 (initially by IPS) and therefore the 3.2 version should be the same as the 3.1.4 version (i.e. without extra links)

The additional link back to IPS was a condition of upgrading the Portal. You'll need to contact IPS about removing it. I think it's fair considering a large bulk of the code is still based on the IPB 3.1 Portal.

I have to add that the only downside I have seen to IPB over the last three years is that most of the developers are here only to make money. Someone puts out a simple modification or hook and they charge for it. While I do understand why, it's also what is keeping more people from using IPS as well. I came over from vbulletin about three years or so ago, and can honestly say I never paid for a single modification, people did them to help others and shared code, shared ideas etc. Here it seems we lack that very aspect of the game.

There are a few exceptions and Michael has some great free modifications in the marketplace and I commend him for that... not michael john, just michael (the mod)

And the Auto Welcome Members, Sidebar Poll, Guest Message, Donate Sidebar & Portal mods I've just upgraded to IPB 3.2 as fast as I could so they could be ready for IPB 3.2 final are not free mods? Not to mention the several other lesser known free mods I have. You may not use them but I've had many downloads and I've supported these FREE mods from IPB 2 and onwards. Yes I sell paid mods as well but the extra income I get from this allows me to spend more time modding.

It was never a matter of "What is the Law" in my opinion, when someone creates a product, I respect what they have done and leave it alone for the most part. In this case however, since the product was started by IPS, and was not designed by the person updating it, I have a problem when his copyright notice is larger then the one for IPS.

I offered a solution for him to make it smaller and inline with the IPS link... he refused it,

Personally I would rather have a small link on many sites, than no link at all..... and right now all links have been removed! [img]

[/img]

I did not refuse anything, I said I was not going to release a paid version without copyright and lucky given the fact you think "most of the developers are here only to make money". I said I will see what can be done next version. I didn't fog you off, It's saved in my portal todo list. It's going to be hard to achieve seeing as I'm only allowed one line and it shouldn't be longer then the IPB copyright.

The ironic thing is that I actually contacted IPS first after reading the beginning of this topic and seeing how some people were left with no option but to buy IP.Content. I didn't have enough time to take on another 3.1 EOL app but I did have time to take the Portal on. I didn't expect a big debate about whether my copyright line was 45 or 30 characters.

There is no point to a debate, my customers shared their opinion, i and many others agreed, and i shared it with you, members here also agreed. If you or ips doesnt agree thats perfectly fine. There are solutions to every problem in life, this one is no different.

;)

I forgot to mention that i do apploigize if you were offended by my comments about paid mods, this community is very lacking of people willing to help anyone else for free. I personally plan to try and change this as much as i can help and provide what i can do as I came from vbulletin many years ago, and im used to people helping others and providing free mods.

While i understand that very difficult mods shoukd be paid for, some of the things i see people charging for upset me personally. A very good majority of people do not run forums for the money, they do it for the hobby or sport they are supporting, therefore they will not always have the money to spend on mods.

I will always pay for any mod both Michaels make, for 2 reasons their mods are always worth the money, and their support is fantastic. I do agree with you though R1Lover there are too many cowboys on here with tiny mods charging big prices and a load of them don't work.

there are too many cowboys on here with tiny mods charging big prices and a load of them don't work.

I've noticed this too and it's getting pretty ridiculous. I would understand charging for big mods/hooks that do a lot and help us out tremendously, but little mods that do something basic should not really charge, at least not the huge amounts they're trying to make us pay. Most of them, like you said, don't seem to work. Then when their support thread get's too many complaints, they get frustrated and end up giving up and never reply or leave altogether. I wouldn't care much if their mods were free and they stopped giving support, but it's annoying when developers for paid mods stop giving support and disappear.

Archived