Community

(DP34) Global Sidebars

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Again, I must say this app works very nicely now and has a lot of flexibility. I really don't know why IPB doesn't come with global sidebars as standard. Anyway, below is an example of the Global

For everyone - please wait on 1.1.0 version - with a lot more features And easier navigation! Marcher: great subsupport, thanks!

Sure, it will be. It's almost done, but I have problem with new skin, so please be patient a little more time.

Posted Images

This looks like a fantastic mod, one of the more visual customizers, nice work!

I see others talking about the resolution question, if it could auto decide based on the screen size.

I am wondering about something half way - are members able to de-activate any sidebar on any page? Would cookies hold their choice so it doesn't change from topic to topic (like if a member closes the sidebar in topic view in one topic, goes to another topic, it doesn't come back it would remember the member closed it last topic.)

If this is possible or if could be added, I would definitely purchase this. I just worry about people with small screens and will lose a lot of real estate with it on. But being able to close it will make many members happy (and me :smile: ).

Thanks.

Hey guys,

I got this last month, enabled it and it worked fine. However, I had to disable it later because I needed to rebuild the forums. But now that I'm trying to re-enable this, it simply is not coming back to the forums. I'm not sure what I did wrong but it seems I've applied as much settings as I can but still no result.

Please help!

Hello all,

Is it known that this mod does not work with the mobile view? I wasn't aware of that.
Can you please fix this mod so I don't have to deactivate stock features.

I can't tell "it doesn't work on mobile view" because even standard sidebar isn't available on it. Why you don't want understand it?
You wasn't aware because there is no need to it.
I can't also "fix" it because this isn't broken mod or something. Please do not push me to add something what wasn't my intention or idea. I don't tell you 'no' for forever, but at this moment I'm not planning to add sidebar to the mobile skin. When IPS consider this change (in future - I don't know) then I concider the same.

An excellent modification with great support from Dawid to get it to work in the VNC.

I'm happy to hear that. Much appreciated.

Could anyone advise on that please?

You have two options - increase the resolution of your computer or descrease the sidebar width. Why? It's simply - there isn't much place to display everything what need to be displayed. OR you can change this in CSS:
table.ipb_table {
    border-collapse: collapse;
    line-height: 1.3;
}
For example on:
table.ipb_table {
    line-height: 1.1;
}
Just try. It looks much better. :smile:

I know that you are a far more better programmer than me. So if you don't know - then I surely do not know it too. :smile:

I'm not sure. Everyone is a programmer. Just not everyone know about it. ;)
Let me think about it in future release.

Has a fix been issued for this? I want to use 300px wide sidebars on index and forum views and currently they won't display on index due to this issue.

That would be so easy as Ehren wrote, BUT in my mod you see the 'custom width' option. Then that advice from Ehren won't be accurate. I can prepare for you special version of this mod, without the custom width working option - PM me and remember: it won't be much supported by me. :smile:

This looks like a fantastic mod, one of the more visual customizers, nice work!

Thank you very much. It's always a good feelin when someone like your work!

I am wondering about something half way - are members able to de-activate any sidebar on any page? Would cookies hold their choice so it doesn't change from topic to topic (like if a member closes the sidebar in topic view in one topic, goes to another topic, it doesn't come back it would remember the member closed it last topic.)

I can for now add new option in member UCP to choose if they wan't to see whole 'sidebar stuff', of course except standard sidebar. In other way - completelly disable my mod on board. Of course it would be per user setting. In ACP I can add option to choose which groups will be able to use this option. Interested?

I think he is ignoring this issue.

I think you should NOT answer as me, because you don't know whole background. :smile:
I replied above.

What's the correct code to paste into the "pages list" dialog box in order to get this to work, please?

*topic/14327-just-my-forum/*

I got this last month, enabled it and it worked fine. However, I had to disable it later because I needed to rebuild the forums. But now that I'm trying to re-enable this, it simply is not coming back to the forums. I'm not sure what I did wrong but it seems I've applied as much settings as I can but still no result.

Make sure that "(DP33) Global Sidebars hook" is enabled on the hooks list.

Hello all,
I can't tell "it doesn't work on mobile view" because even standard sidebar isn't available on it. Why you don't want understand it?
I can't also "fix" it because this isn't broken mod or something. Please do not push me to add something what wasn't my intention or idea. I don't tell you 'no' for forever, but at this moment I'm not planning to add sidebar to the mobile skin. When IPS consider this change (in future - I don't know) then I concider the same.

I'm not looking for an added feature. I needed to deactivate the mobile skin because this mod was causing an error. I really don't want to have to deactivate my mobile skin but I also need this mod.

I'm not asking for it to be displayed on the mobile skin, but I also don't want it breaking my site when users try to visit using the mobile skin.

Thanks

In main settings of this mod you have option "Disable on Skins". SImply choose your mobile skin and you're done. If it doesn't help send me your ACP and FTP and will be checked in highest priority today. Im online for a couple of hours.

It's supported. But need a little more 'love' from me.

I'll reply on all questions in one hour.

;)

Hello all,

I'm happy to hear that. Much appreciated.

You have two options - increase the resolution of your computer or descrease the sidebar width. Why? It's simply - there isn't much place to display everything what need to be displayed. OR you can change this in CSS:

table.ipb_table {
    line-height: 1.3;
}
For example on:
table.ipb_table {
    line-height: 1.1;
}
Just try. It looks much better. :smile:

I'm not sure. Everyone is a programmer. Just not everyone know about it. ;)
Let me think about it in future release.

That would be so easy as Ehren wrote, BUT in my mod you see the 'custom width' option. Then that advice from Ehren won't be accurate. I can prepare for you special version of this mod, without the custom width working option - PM me and remember: it won't be much supported by me. :smile:

I can for now add new option in member UCP to choose if they wan't to see whole 'sidebar stuff', of course except standard sidebar. In other way - completelly disable my mod on board. Of course it would be per user setting. In ACP I can add option to choose which groups will be able to use this option. Interested?

I think you should NOT answer as me, because you don't know whole background. :smile:
I replied above.

*topic/14327-just-my-forum/*
Make sure that "(DP33) Global Sidebars hook" is enabled on the hooks list.

Solved my issue of having a side bar in a particular topic. :)

My mobile skin does work with this mod.

In main settings of this mod you have option "Disable on Skins". SImply choose your mobile skin and you're done. If it doesn't help send me your ACP and FTP and will be checked in highest priority today. Im online for a couple of hours.

I also had to uncheck all of the option in User Agent Mapping.

I have it disabled now, but one of the reasons I bought IPB is because they have a good stock mobile skin. I'm very disappointed I can't use that any longer.

Hello all,

No problem, I really like when developers put in good effort on these, it helps our sites look better (and for us admins, to administrate easier :smile: ).

I suppose an option in the UCP would suffice. It wouldn't be as easy for the member to figure this out unless they are told to go into the UCP. I thought of editing my post, I hope you know I meant collapse the sidebars...like how board index sidebar can be collapsed right at the top right of it, using the X that pops up.

vB has this feature (its probably a add-on), specifically on xda-developers, it works phenomenally. Topic sidebar has a X that allows me to collapse or re-show the sidebar right there, and it remembers for every topic I go to. Though maybe this is hard to make because you have different sidebars that can be made or something? (topic view, forum view, global SB, etc.)

I want to purchase this very very soon. I am actually kind of waiting on this particular feature, as I really want this mod but don't want to frustrate my new members with 'squished' view. Though with the members that have huge monitors (like I have a res of 1377x768 and with sidebar looks fine to me, but my site partner has a 1024x768 and it looks a lot more squished - to which he would collapse the sidebar).

I also wouldn't want to 'disable' the mod lol, I want to use it. I just know a lot of people have smaller screens and flexibility is #1.

Thank you :smile:

Hello,

Solved my issue of having a side bar in a particular topic. :smile:

My mobile skin does work with this mod.

Glad to hear that Jack. :)

Hey DawPi, it is definitely enabled, dude. That is why this baffles me.

Did you enabled this mod in main settings? If yes and doesn't work still, maybe you can send me your ACP access details to check it by me?

I suppose an option in the UCP would suffice. It wouldn't be as easy for the member to figure this out unless they are told to go into the UCP. I thought of editing my post, I hope you know I meant collapse the sidebars...like how board index sidebar can be collapsed right at the top right of it, using the X that pops up.

vB has this feature (its probably a add-on), specifically on xda-developers, it works phenomenally. Topic sidebar has a X that allows me to collapse or re-show the sidebar right there, and it remembers for every topic I go to. Though maybe this is hard to make because you have different sidebars that can be made or something? (topic view, forum view, global SB, etc.)

I want to purchase this very very soon. I am actually kind of waiting on this particular feature, as I really want this mod but don't want to frustrate my new members with 'squished' view. Though with the members that have huge monitors (like I have a res of 1377x768 and with sidebar looks fine to me, but my site partner has a 1024x768 and it looks a lot more squished - to which he would collapse the sidebar).

I also wouldn't want to 'disable' the mod lol, I want to use it. I just know a lot of people have smaller screens and flexibility is #1.

Thank you. I understand now, but I can't assure that. Stay tuned.

I have some questions about this mod before buying it. Sorry if it's already answered, but i didn't find it.

1. Only admins can edit the "blocks", etc? For example, a moderator from board X can add or edit anything to the specific forum sidebar?
2. HTML is accepted?
3. To a specific board sidebar, is it possible to show the most replied topics, for example? Or some board's stats like the top posters of that board?
4. Is it possible to put a rss feed?
5. In a topic sidebar, is it possible to show the most like posts?

I hope i've made myself clear!

Thanks.

Nope. It wasn't enabled. The hook wasn't even installed! :o I just did it. Check now.

The hook wasn't installed? So what was I configuring if the hook was never installed? Why would I have access to configuring Global Sidebar if it was not installed to the point that I added Recent Comments block form IPC. I'm kind of confused by your reference to it only being installed by you because I can't find that in the Admin logs. I'm trying to narrow down to what was missing knowing installation of the actual hook was done.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Rüdy,

you expained it pretty well. :)

You can add only one sidebar to specific place - for example on forum view, but you can add multiple adverts inside (php type) and there specific on which forums this advert should be displayed. Something like this:

if( $this->request['f'] == 45 )
{
echo 'some advert';
}

It will display content only inside forum with ID = 45.