(DP34) Global Sidebars

DawPi

Is there anyway to disable the users ability to close the entire sidebar?

They can't disable global sidebar.. :>

Doesnt work for us. The sidebar only appears on the main forum page :(

Not possible. What IP.Board version do you have? How you set that? Could you show me screens from ACP settings?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm.... attached are some screenshots. And sure they can close your sidebar. At least on the main forum page....

Right now the sidebar only appears on the main forum page, and view new content (with "disable default sidebar" set to "no". If I set that to "yes" then the only place a sidebar appears is on the view new content page.

We're running 3.1.4

post-199095-0-84107800-1298647790_thumb.
post-199095-0-08954100-1298647781_thumb.
post-199095-0-09740600-1298647802_thumb.
post-199095-0-78234900-1298647803_thumb.
post-199095-0-93903500-1298647804_thumb.

Right now the sidebar only appears on the main forum page, and view new content (with "disable default sidebar" set to "no". If I set that to "yes" then the only place a sidebar appears is on the view new content page.

Strange.. IF I may get your FTP and ACP to investigate this issue, I'll be happy to assist you in this case. PM me.

Strange.. IF I may get your FTP and ACP to investigate this issue, I'll be happy to assist you in this case. PM me.

While I appreciate that, I really cannot do it. I had hoped for a product that I could just load and then turn on. Have you tried it on a new install yourself?

Anyone else using it?

Hi everyone, :)

I converted from VB on 5th January and because of my complete reliance on advertising to stay afloat, I needed a truly global sidebar.

After spending many hours trying to find something that had the features I needed, I approached DawPi about creating a custom app from scratch - and this is it.

To provide a view of my codebase, I'm running 3.4.1 and along with a few forum home template & CSS edits I did, I also have the following mods installed:

• One Click Ban
  • Global Message
  • Members Online Today
  • Group Title Permission
  • RedHook: Manage App Ordering
  • Topic Prefixes
  • Auto Welcome Members
  • Guest Message
  • Contact Form
  • Content Spy
  • IP SEO
  • Advanced Adverts
  • Global Sidebars
  • Custom Header to enable 728px banner (DawPi)
  • Forum Icons (not yet activated but currently testing)

I bought DawPi's Advanced Adverts to integrate with his Global Sidebars to give enable ad rotation.

The sidebar mod is complete except for a minor CSS issue which was caused by me when I changed my mind during development and asked DawPi for a fixed width sidebar option in addition to the % option. The CSS issue is one of those that's browser dependent and a pain in ***. When the sidebar is set to fixed width of 310px, user screens under 1600px wide are affected by the 300x250 ads being slightly truncated which also adds a small scrollbar to the bottom of the sidebar.

In my testing it's only only affecting Chrome & Opera but not Firefox or IE9 - go figure! (and they said that HTML5/CSS3 was gonna stop all that nonsense!). Anyhow it's being addressed even as I write this and I'm sure DawPi will have it sorted quickly.

As for functionality, I have total control over which ads appear on which pages and I can rotate between my local ad agency ads and Google code because of the integration with Advanced Adverts. I've set the sidebar to appear on every page of my site except my (IP Content) portal.

DawPi emailed me yesterday and asked me to comment in this thread, so for anyone reading this, I couldn't be happier with the mod and with DawPi's attention to detail and quick response to dev issues. I live in Sydney so we've had some time zone challenges over the past few weeks but despite that he's created what I believe is a truly useful product.

To check my installation go to the Australian Media Center Community, and although I'm not a regular here I'd be happy to try and answer any questions about usability.

Mike :)

I would like bring a shoutbox in the sidebar to all pages of my site, but currently the shoutbox can only be shown in the board index if the sidebar template is used. Do you think it would be possible to bring the shoutbox to the whole site using your global sidebar? It would also be great if portal plugins could be brought to the rest of the site using your global sidebar..

Shoutbox: http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/2285-shoutbox-113/
Recent Posts portal app:

Well i've uninstalled this and reinstalled it and still have the same issues. Perhaps its a misunderstanding of how it works though? I only added a GLOBAL sidebar and expected it to appear globally but it doesnt. I added a topic view sidebar, and that one appears on topics though.

Going to play with it more....

Well I think this may work for us...a global sidebar isnt really global, but we can fix that by just adding several different sidebars I guess.

How can we fix the issue that guvner mentioned though where his ads are at the bottom of the page? Same is true on our site when I try to use a wider sidebar (25%)

Is there a fix?

Yeah, but this isn't a bug ... when Dawpi says 100%, she has jumped ahead of what you may be missing ...

if you change the sidebar to something bigger than 14%, you also need to change the other setting for the forum or whatever to a smaller value --> this is what she means by nothing larger than 100%.

I discovered this recently when I was adjusting my board and I wanted the sidebars to be larger. You just have to play with your CSS to make the larger value smaller, less than the default 76% (what mine was) while increasing the percentage for your side bar. It involves some trial and error. There is no overlying logic or script that does the math on the css and orders changes in other settings, as in when you increase from 14% to 20%, the css will somehow automatically change the other setting by 6%. Nope.

Hope that helps.

- Brian

Well of course I am changing both settings together to keep it at 100% :rolleyes:

That doesnt change the bug though. With a sidebar larger than 14%, it it forced to the bottom of the page below the main content. Just like on Guvner's site....at least in safari and firefox (im on a mac, and thats all I use)

• 2 weeks later...

I guess my main issue was with NOT allowing the couple of pixels for the space. So in fact, you should NOT try to make the 2 values = 100%. They need to be less than that or it will break!

Right now it's working pretty well for me. I deleted my global sidebar and added another one. Seems to have fixed a lot of issues.

Have you seen it with the new IP Gallery though? It forces a real wide page and when you try to resize, it just messes up the page. Seems like more of an IP Gallery issue than anything, but what can be done?

Thanks

Archived